Elite WR talent in our backyard

3 is a magic number.

Darboh, Arrington. Martin

I don't know when we offered them, but we need to land Jace. This class is already stacking up nicely and he's the Cherry on top IMO.
But the whole point is that the other poster said the trend is we are offering late. Not WRs that left the state.

3 is a magic number.

Darboh, Arrington. Martin

I don't know when we offered them, but we need to land Jace. This class is already stacking up nicely and he's the Cherry on top IMO.

In Matthew Bain's recruiting mailbag, he talked about how Andregg is not even a sure-fire P5 prospect yet due to the lack of demonstrated production (118 yds receiving, 129 yds rushing as a sophomore; 143 yds receiving, 290 yds rushing in 4 games during an injury-shortened junior year). @RobHowe brought up this point above, but is on record predicting that Andregg's recruiting will blow up this summer.

When I saw top SPARQ score in the nation, I was thinking Hawks needed to jump immediately. More rationale voices have caused me to reconsider. Still, as Bain suggested, I feel like with his athleticism and the Hawk's track-record of development, he would have to be a can't-miss at some position, and hence worth an offer.

In Matthew Bain's recruiting mailbag, he talked about how Andregg is not even a sure-fire P5 prospect yet due to the lack of demonstrated production (118 yds receiving, 129 yds rushing as a sophomore; 143 yds receiving, 290 yds rushing in 4 games during an injury-shortened junior year). @RobHowe brought up this point above, but is on record predicting that Andregg's recruiting will blow up this summer.

When I saw top SPARQ score in the nation, I was thinking Hawks needed to jump immediately. More rationale voices have caused me to reconsider. Still, as Bain suggested, I feel like with his athleticism and the Hawk's track-record of development, he would have to be a can't-miss at some position, and hence worth an offer.
Good news is A) Solon will give him a much better chance to show off his receiving ability, and B) Solon has been an Iowa pipeline, where we've grabbed guys almost yearly. Those coaches ought to have a good relationship with KF and staff.

Don't let pragmatic voices deter your resolve. Iowa pisses away scholarships every cycle on recruits that don't pan out. That's the game. It's hit or miss. This kid with his size and athleticism could easily be developed at multiple positions. I don't see any way that scooping this kid up would be a wasted scholarship. There is no need to wait until the kid proves it on the gridiron. By that time everyone will know what we should have known first.

Don't let pragmatic voices deter your resolve. Iowa pisses away scholarships every cycle on recruits that don't pan out. That's the game. It's hit or miss. This kid with his size and athleticism could easily be developed at multiple positions. I don't see any way that scooping this kid up would be a wasted scholarship. There is no need to wait until the kid proves it on the gridiron. By that time everyone will know what we should have known first.

Exactly this. This is why people complain about us being in there late. Like Martin, they already know what he's going to do in the summer camps. That's why you get the early offer out there and hopefully a commitment before they blow up. That's how you lock down talent. If they change their minds later, there's nothing you can do about it. But you at least gave it your best and prevented anyone from feeling slighted by their home school.

Martin had a 133 score- he is so elite sitting on Michigan's bench. Scores are great but not the be all end all.

Since when is playing in 7 games, having 11 catches and 1 rushing attempt "sitting on the bench"? (I have vast experience of sitting on the bench and this ain't it)

I was at Solon's track meet last night. Andregg ran on a few of the sprint relays.

He's a big, thick kid. He looks more like a linebacker than a receiver.

I was at Solon's track meet last night. Andregg ran on a few of the sprint relays.

With the numbers he put up at the event I was kind of thinking safety if the whole WR thing doesn’t work out.

If he's a legit 6'3 and already that strong, he could morph into a hybrid TE. Also, just checked quikstats track page for him. Definitely not a burner. Probably more in line with Brandon Smith.

We weren't late on offering Martin unless your definition of late is "not first". We were literally the 2nd or 3rd school to offer him. We offered him way before Michigan. Offering him a few days earlier to be first wasn't going to make a damn bit of difference. Martin was never coming here once Michigan offered. People need to stop with the bullshit about us offering Martin late and that costing us his commitment. It's utter nonsense.

If he's a legit 6'3 and already that strong, he could morph into a hybrid TE. Also, just checked quikstats track page for him. Definitely not a burner. Probably more in line with Brandon Smith.

TE could be a possibility. Looking forward to seeing him this fall. Solon has a QB that should be able to get him the ball. And Jacob Coons' brother is a good receiver who should discourage too many double teams.

He looked every bit of 6-3 to me.

We weren't late on offering Martin unless your definition of late is "not first". We were literally the 2nd or 3rd school to offer him. We offered him way before Michigan. Offering him a few days earlier to be first wasn't going to make a damn bit of difference. Martin was never coming here once Michigan offered. People need to stop with the bullshit about us offering Martin late and that costing us his commitment. It's utter nonsense.
You could be right. But we'll never know unless Martin is asked and answers it. Perhaps offering him sooner could have resulted in him committing to us an then hed have been less apt to decommitt and go to Michigan. I lean towards you being correct but who knows

Lack of production for a kid that's been hurt doesnt scare me. If his HS coaches are credible and say hes got the work ethic and made of the right stuff his physical attributes say hook him up with an offer.
Getting in early on such an under the radar kid is perfect. So long as he doesn't have delusions of going to other schools instead I like our chances.

Well at the risk of eventually outing myself here, I've started to follow the college recruiting scene a little more heavily due to having a son that wants to play college football. What I've discovered so far, at least if you are from the state of Iowa, is that it's pretty difficult to make P5 schools notice you, unless you're dedicated to non-stop football camps (Nike, UA, etc). My son is not doing that; he is a 4 sport kid; Football, basketball, baseball, track. He has no time for any camps. In fact, most HS sports want you training year-round for their sport, which is impossible if you play multiple sports. The only thing my son is doing year-round is lifting weights, and even then it's spotty. Right now, it's obviously track season. My son is a hurdler, and he's got a hip that has been problematic since last track season. He ended up qualifying for state last year on the shuttle hurdle team, but couldn't end up running due to the hip. Then, during football season, he missed another game due to the same hip. Now it has been acting up a bit in track the past few weeks, so he's taking a few weeks off from weightlifting. Baseball guys have been hitting and throwing since January; my son hasn't gone once. He was in basketball, then immediately shifted to track. Basketball season ended, but now they have open gym a couple times a week. Again, he hasn't gone once, even though the coaches want him there (track coaches DO NOT want him there; we had a track kid tear his ACL/meniscus last weekend at basketball).

My point is, if you play multiple sports in HS in Iowa (probably most states), it's really hard to focus on being recruited in any particular sport, unless you stand out physically, then you sort of recruit yourself. The rest of it appears to a compilation of your work over time, coupled with impressing someone at a camp, if you get the opportunity to go.

My son is just finishing his sophomore year, he's young for his grade (16 at the end of July), but presumably just based on hudl film (I don't really know, but it's the only thing that seems reasonable), he has a ton of camp invites from D3 schools this summer. He doesn't have a single sniff from a D2 or D1. That being said, He's doing a D3 camp, and then he's going to Iowa and Iowa State camps. He knows that he has to impress the heck out of someone at either of those camps, otherwise that will likely be the end of his D1 opportunities.

One of the other comments about productivity is also interesting, I guess especially for a receiver like Andregg. I think it's a lot more difficult to put up numbers as a receiver in Iowa, for a number of reasons. There aren't a ton of offenses geared towards throwing in Iowa (colder, windier), and then it depends on the team you play for, how much talent they have, and their philosophy on offense. I know where my son plays, we rarely throw the ball, and we rely on 4-5 running backs throughout the game, so it's hard to showcase an athlete. Further, at some of the 4A schools in Iowa, the talent pool runs a bit deeper, simply because the schools are larger, more kids etc. If you play at a smaller school and are good, your chances of playing varsity at the freshman or sophomore level are much greater than at one of the better 4A schools. Then, if that 4A school is a decent team, they typically will have multiple guys on offense, so producing big numbers as a receiver is pretty difficult.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post, just thought I'd lend a few thoughts based on my very early experiences with trying to help my son find the right fit for college.

Latest posts