Elite Eight game thread

I would be interested in an informed discussion of how the college game has changed in the past 20-30 years, particularly in terms of perimeter offense and covering defense.

Having watched clips of games from the ‘80s and ‘90s, my general observations are:

- Succesful teams in the tournament now have players who are much more skilled in making the 3, with coaches more willing to embrace a beyond-the-arc offense. There have been games this year when one thinks they’re watching 1980s Gonzaga.

- Today’s athletes are longer, stronger, quicker than players were 20 years ago. They can cover more of the floor in a shorter amount of time. Thus, some teams are very successful in a “helter-skelter” defense where defenders can play “in your shirt” man-to-man coverage, easily switch off assignments, and move to put pressure on the open man.

- Successful teams in the tournament are not only physically tough, but mentally as well.

I see Fran’s teams making progress on the first point. But barely registering in the other two.

We grew up in an era where the ball was worked inside out. That dynamic has completely flipped everything now is worked outside in.

If you have a bunch of bigs that can’t operate in space on both ends of the floor, you got issues.

Crossing someone over and nailing a 3 has replaced dunking on someone. At least in terms of getting the kids hyped. I always preferred the dunk right in someone’s grill with a little stare afterward, but I am old.

Shaq is a hall of famer; yet would struggle with how the game is played now.

Last edited:
There are teams with a severe Helter Skelter style of defense, West Virginia, Florida State and Kansas State, for example. It takes excellent coaching and discipline to overcome that style, especially if the helter-skelter teams are athletic. Villanova, Loyola and Michigan played through the frenzy. I wasn't certain they would. Many teams would have folded, laid down and died.....

:cool:

That’s what makes the Kansas/Duke game fascinating. If the game is played in the 60’s which team can impose their will.

My guess is he was mad about something his players didnt do. Mad at the refs. Emotionally spent and mad at himself after the game.

Wasnt as bad as FM.

I realize I am going out on a limb here......Nova/Michigan final and Nova cutting down the net.

I think we all agree that Duke and Kansas have a deeper loaded bench than us, That being said both teams basically stayed with 4 of the starters most of the game. Eight players with 40+ minutes each.