Elite Eight game thread

I’m realizing that Michigan is a versatile team. They can out score you but they can out defend you as well.

Villanova is the same way with one or two more better players. They can grind a game out in the 60’s or they can push tempo and play a game in 80’s. What I realized watching this tournament is that very few teams this year can adapt to any style you throw out there.

That Hamilton interview was certainly puzzling. It was a valid question, and I, too, wonder why FSU didn't foul. Someone mentioned the fact FSU "covered", but if Michigan goes to the line and sinks two FTs, FSU likely doesn't score again, thus does NOT "cover".

While that's certainly interesting/intriguing, it's a big leap to say that crossed Hamilton's mind, even remotely.

That Hamilton interview was certainly puzzling. It was a valid question, and I, too, wonder why FSU didn't foul. Someone mentioned the fact FSU "covered", but if Michigan goes to the line and sinks two FTs, FSU likely doesn't score again, thus does NOT "cover".

While that's certainly interesting/intriguing, it's a big leap to say that crossed Hamilton's mind, even remotely.

Looked like he was on the verge of exploding.....

ext

:cool:

Villanova is the same way with one or two more better players. They can grind a game out in the 60’s or they can push tempo and play a game in 80’s. What I realized watching this tournament is that very few teams this year can adapt to any style you throw out there.

There are teams with a severe Helter Skelter style of defense, West Virginia, Florida State and Kansas State, for example. It takes excellent coaching and discipline to overcome that style, especially if the helter-skelter teams are athletic. Villanova, Loyola and Michigan played through the frenzy. I wasn't certain they would. Many teams would have folded, laid down and died.....

Yes...why do we never show good fundamentals? Total mystery why we can never come up with a run in the NCAAs.

The lack of defensive skills is puzzling. One would think that anyone who loves and plays basketball would understand the importance of stopping the opponent from scoring. Recruits should arrive with some defensive skills.....

It almost seems that Fran appreciates a total lack of defensive awareness.....

The lack of defensive skills is puzzling. One would think that anyone who loves and plays basketball would understand the importance of stopping the opponent from scoring. Recruits should arrive with some defensive skills.....

It almost seems that Fran appreciates a total lack of defensive awareness.....

I would be interested in an informed discussion of how the college game has changed in the past 20-30 years, particularly in terms of perimeter offense and covering defense.

Having watched clips of games from the ‘80s and ‘90s, my general observations are:

- Succesful teams in the tournament now have players who are much more skilled in making the 3, with coaches more willing to embrace a beyond-the-arc offense. There have been games this year when one thinks they’re watching 1980s Gonzaga.

- Today’s athletes are longer, stronger, quicker than players were 20 years ago. They can cover more of the floor in a shorter amount of time. Thus, some teams are very successful in a “helter-skelter” defense where defenders can play “in your shirt” man-to-man coverage, easily switch off assignments, and move to put pressure on the open man.

- Successful teams in the tournament are not only physically tough, but mentally as well.

I see Fran’s teams making progress on the first point. But barely registering in the other two.

Certainly seemed like a prick.....

https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/...tter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018-03-25

Watching Villanova play defense. Tight man to man, wide stance, arms in constant motion hampering vision and shooting angles.....

Alas

Looked like he was on the verge of exploding.....

ext

I actually commend Hamilton for not answering the question.
Down 4 with 8 seconds left, I guess you foul. FSU didn’t. Game was over, good for Hamilton for not fouling.

If I were Len, would have gone straight Kendrick Lamar on her smartass.

I actually commend Hamilton for not answering the question.
Down 4 with 8 seconds left, I guess you foul. FSU didn’t. Game was over, good for Hamilton for not fouling.

If I were Len, would have gone straight Kendrick Lamar on her smartass.
Well then you might have been arrested. And should have been.

Not only was it a legitimate question, it was the one on everyone’s mind. If Robinson makes one or two more FTs, then call off teh dawgs. Game over.

Why do I suspect too-cool-for-school coach had no idea how much time he had left?

Not only was it a legitimate question, it was the one on everyone’s mind. If Robinson makes one or two more FTs, then call off teh dawgs. Game over.

Why do I suspect too-cool-for-school coach had no idea how much time he had left?

Nailed it: too-cool-for-school coach.....

Lenny looked surprised that the lass wasn't intimated by his blustery act.....

Last edited:

Like the too cool for school “journalist” Dana that yelled out f$&@ Notre Dame in a drunken stupor.

Class all the way.