Ed DeChellis leaving Penn State.

Wow, I must be in a nightmare or something. Iowa wanting PSU retreads for basketball? What's next, going after Northwestern commits when Carmody gets the Duke job after Coach K retires?

It sucks being at a football school, just ask alford.

Iowa went after both Glover and Travis but I doubt there is any more interest from Iowa's end there. I get what DeChellis is thinking, but the timing and job that he took make absolutely no sense. He kind of screwed PSU here with the timing and seems to have taken one of the most difficult jobs in America.

Any chance Bruce Pearl ends up at Penn St? I know it's a long shot, but Pearl would have a hard time landing a top-flight job right now. Further, he was successful at a football-first school at Tennessee.

Thoughts?

Iowa basically told Glover thanks but no thanks; they pulled his offer after Hubbard committed to them silently.

As for DeChellis leaving, I dont think its a bad move. Taylor Battle was a once in a generation player for PSU. He might be their best player ever. Life without him was going to...well, be how life was for most of the DeChellis years without him. Probably another couple years for him there at best IMO.

he gets to push the reset button and go to a place where competing with honor is most important...not much pressure to win and at the age of 52, he can probably work there for 8 more years with a good income and say adios at that point in time. It might have great lifetime bennies too :)

Hard to believe PSU wouldn't pony up for another couple of years. They have been extremely competitive in recent years and haven't been the guaranteed two wins they used to be (unfortunately).

I can't figure out Glover. The dude got invited to visit UCLA but didn't clear admissions, yet we retracted our offer / visit and he ends up at PSU? If memory serves, Nebraska was recruiting him as a PG, so kind of strange we pulled back. The staff must have seen him as a poor man's version of Hubbard and lost interest after AH signed.

Isn't Crispin or some other former PSU player an assistant somewhere? One would think a former PSU guy would be a logical fit. Pretty late in the season to be looking at coaches and if they lose as many kids as we did in the interim, they could be playing walk on kids major minutes.

This really isn't shocker, the writing was on the wall, how he didn't get fired after the previous season was nothing short of amazing. College Basketball as a whole was so down last season, the mid-majors didn't stand out as much as before, until the tournament. The Big Ten wasn't as good as it should have been, neither was the ACC or Big 12. In normal years, PSU/MSU don't make the tournament, not to mentions others. DeChellis recruited one solid player his whole tenure and that player, ultimately, would have led to his undoing since he graduated this year. PSU needs a coach that is in the mold of Fran, a guy that has experience and has built programs, a coach that exudes confidence, but is not arrogant. PSU has not had a coach like that since Bruce Parkhill, when they didn't hire someone like him after, the program fell down again. One solid player in the last decade doesn't cut it.

This really isn't shocker, the writing was on the wall, how he didn't get fired after the previous season was nothing short of amazing. College Basketball as a whole was so down last season, the mid-majors didn't stand out as much as before, until the tournament. The Big Ten wasn't as good as it should have been, neither was the ACC or Big 12. In normal years, PSU/MSU don't make the tournament, not to mentions others. DeChellis recruited one solid player his whole tenure and that player, ultimately, would have led to his undoing since he graduated this year. PSU needs a coach that is in the mold of Fran, a guy that has experience and has built programs, a coach that exudes confidence, but is not arrogant. PSU has not had a coach like that since Bruce Parkhill, when they didn't hire someone like him after, the program fell down again. One solid player in the last decade doesn't cut it.

Are you insane? Leaving the Big Ten for Navy is a shocker. McDermott going to Creighton is not a shocker, but going to one of the most difficult jobs in college basketball is a shocker.

Are you insane? Leaving the Big Ten for Navy is a shocker. McDermott going to Creighton is not a shocker, but going to one of the most difficult jobs in college basketball is a shocker.

PSU and Northwestern are probably two of the most difficult jobs out there. Ed was not going to be around much longer, if he was highly regarded, he would have left PSU for a better job.
Navy is difficult, but unless they are just terrible, he will be there for awhile, probably even leave on his own terms.

Yes, I am insane, ask anyone:D

DeChellis saw the writing on the wall. He wanted an extended contract after leading PSU to the Big Dance. Prior to this year, he was on his way out the door. He wanted an extension and I think he knew that no NCAA tourney next year would equate to no job ... Sort of like what Alford did ... go to a lesser school but try to spin it like it was really your choice. Alford knew he was on his way out the door if he did not make the NCAA that final year and so instead ... he bolted for a lesser program and then told the world how it was a step up moving to the WAC (or whatever conference NM is in) ... You don't leave the Big 10 to go coach at Navy unless you are worried you might be gainfully unemployed after next season. And with PSU losing a few players, an appearance in the tourney next year would have been a stretch for the coach.

Latest posts