Easily

Agree with everything said so far , this years Kriener will b gone and he has had some very valuable floor time for us ...... Luka .. I think there is a better chance he comes back than tests the waters, I dont know that he can improve his stock with another year of college ball , if he finishes the season like he has played so far , justthinking it would be in his best interests to forgo next year.....if that were to happen , both bigs gone, Nunge will have 1 heck of a crew to work with , Pemsyl hopefully play like he did his first year , really like a lot of what he is doing now , and Ogandele ( hope I didnt butcher the spelling ) ...... just a lit to like about next year even if both big men are gone

JBo, Toussaint, etc. Where will the minutes go? Too many good players for slots to fill. That's a nice problem to have.

JBo in the last minutes of the game is GOLD...at the FT line. Can't have enough good shooters.

I dont think division of minutes is going to be a big deal at all next year. Unless we have injury next year, our rotation will be Garza/JW/CJ/JT/CMac/JBo/Nunge and PMac more than likely. It is much easier to divide minutes with an 8 man rotation than a 10 or 11. Next year's scheme will be the same as this one, centered around getting the ball to Garza in the post and surrounding him with shooters. We will live and die by being efficient on offense because within that rotation we have 3 elite shooters and really no liabilities on the perimeter with anyone. JT will play a prominent role by breaking down defenses and getting in the lane. Nunge provides size. We arent sure what PMac will provide but he will certainly be a positive addition no matter his role. I dont see any major role by incoming freshmen at all.

Will be very fun to watch.

I dont think division of minutes is going to be a big deal at all next year. Unless we have injury next year, our rotation will be Garza/JW/CJ/JT/CMac/JBo/Nunge and PMac more than likely. It is much easier to divide minutes with an 8 man rotation than a 10 or 11. Next year's scheme will be the same as this one, centered around getting the ball to Garza in the post and surrounding him with shooters. We will live and die by being efficient on offense because within that rotation we have 3 elite shooters and really no liabilities on the perimeter with anyone. JT will play a prominent role by breaking down defenses and getting in the lane. Nunge provides size. We arent sure what PMac will provide but he will certainly be a positive addition no matter his role. I dont see any major role by incoming freshmen at all.

Will be very fun to watch.
Odds Garza will be back?

Do you think a healthy Nunge will be an upgrade from Kriener? (Kriener is having a nice season)

Several great outside shooter options are nice!

Odds Garza will be back?

Do you think a healthy Nunge will be an upgrade from Kriener? (Kriener is having a nice season)

I really hope Garza is back to try to make a title run. But it's far from guaranteed.

If Nunge can come close to the season that Kriener is having this year, I'll be ecstatic. The guy is averaging 8 points on 4.9 shots in only 17 minutes per game. He's also shooting 41.7%(!!!!!) from 3. That's crazy good efficiency and it's helping to spread the floor for other guys and get us points when we need them most with Garza on the bench.

I'll still maintain that Nunge's ceiling is higher, but Kriener's confidence/swagger really helps this team. I just hope Nunge can find his rhythm after a mentally brutal injury out of a redshirt year.

The outside shooting will continue to be a major strength next season and the more guys you have with the ability to shoot it, the less likely it is the whole team will have an off shooting night.

Odds Garza will be back?

You know, up until a week or two ago I would have said that Garza will be definitely be back. However, with him being compared to Kamisky, Kamisky being a lottery pick and carving out a decent living in the NBA, and Garza almost being assured of being a first team all american and possibly national player of the year depending on how Iowa's season progresses, I am not so sure. I have a hard time believing that Garza's game would translate to today's NBA, but a guy like Kamisky has a job and is making money so why can't he?

Without Garza, the whole plan comes crashing down. Nunge would have to completely change his game to be a post player and I don't see that happening either. From the little we have seen of Nunge, he looks like he wants to play like a stretch 4 and we need a true 5. One thing I wanted to do was go back into the big ten games and chart what our percentage of scoring or going to the free throw line is when the ball goes into Garza in the post and when it doesn't. It was painfully apparent last night in the last 7 or 8 minutes in the second half where Garza did not get any post touches and we didn't score. Everything, and I mean everything starts from him getting the ball on the block. Our shooters will have a very hard time without that presence, and no way we can win the B1G with a perimeter only oriented team.

And no, I don't think that Nunge is an upgrade from Kreiner. I think Kreiner could do a decent job in the post, not nearly as good as Garza, but enough to keep the opposition honest. He has settled into a great role and looks like he is really embracing it, of being an energy guy, a scorer and stabilizer off the bench. He is playing with a ton of confidence and its a good thing to see.

You know, up until a week or two ago I would have said that Garza will be definitely be back. However, with him being compared to Kamisky, Kamisky being a lottery pick and carving out a decent living in the NBA, and Garza almost being assured of being a first team all american and possibly national player of the year depending on how Iowa's season progresses, I am not so sure. I have a hard time believing that Garza's game would translate to today's NBA, but a guy like Kamisky has a job and is making money so why can't he?

Without Garza, the whole plan comes crashing down. Nunge would have to completely change his game to be a post player and I don't see that happening either. From the little we have seen of Nunge, he looks like he wants to play like a stretch 4 and we need a true 5. One thing I wanted to do was go back into the big ten games and chart what our percentage of scoring or going to the free throw line is when the ball goes into Garza in the post and when it doesn't. It was painfully apparent last night in the last 7 or 8 minutes in the second half where Garza did not get any post touches and we didn't score. Everything, and I mean everything starts from him getting the ball on the block. Our shooters will have a very hard time without that presence, and no way we can win the B1G with a perimeter only oriented team.

And no, I don't think that Nunge is an upgrade from Kreiner. I think Kreiner could do a decent job in the post, not nearly as good as Garza, but enough to keep the opposition honest. He has settled into a great role and looks like he is really embracing it, of being an energy guy, a scorer and stabilizer off the bench. He is playing with a ton of confidence and its a good thing to see.
Yes, lots of unknowns for sure. I would guess USS Luka Garza is about 50/50 to come back. So much of the season left, for sure.

I wish that Cook and Woodbury would have caught that same "Post-moves-Virus" that Garza has contracted.

Is there much "practice talk" about how good Nunge is and might be?

JBo would be a nice addition but have will his surgeries have made him into something he won't be again? I hope not.

JT just seems like he is ready to blossom as that "It" PG Iowa has needed for so long.

Really a nice team chemistry now. The scorers seem to be very humble and unselfish. And the critical non-scoreres such as CMac, Pemsl really relish their roles with vigor.

Next year: Iowa will be loaded. Last night when our players were introduced, I did a sort of double take when I realized we started 2 freshmen and two sophomores. We are officially young.

Next year: Iowa will be loaded. Last night when our players were introduced, I did a sort of double take when I realized we started 2 freshmen and two sophomores. We are officially young.
People complain that Fran has never constructed a complete roster. Well next year we will have one. We will have the best player in the conference at center. We will have a 1st team conference player on Tue wing. We will have 3 of the top 5 3 point shooters in the conference (give it take). We will have the quickest player in the conference playing point guard, who loves to play defense. We will have a backup 7 footer to play the 4 or 5. We will have closers to close games. We will have clutch players to make clutch shots. We will have 3 good to really good perimeter defenders for when we need to play defense. And we will have 5 new kids (6 counting Patrick) who will either demand minutes with their play or make it easy on Fran to keep a small rotation. I'm hoping for a tough non conference schedule and the easiest draw ever for conference games. We need a Big 10 title and we need a top 3 seed in the dance.

All that said, I wish Garza and Wieskamp luck with the NBA and Bohannon luck at Kentucky.

Yes, but....
Have you seen how JoeW and CJ board? They are scrappy! Of course theres a balance, less size/little less rebounding vs offense, but offense can go a long way toward winning as this season is a testament to that. Plus, Joe T brings hustle to loose balls. I'll take Joe T (vs Rutgers version mind you) Jbo, CJ, JoeW, Garza. Man that's fun to say. Especially on offense. Where are you doubling from. Spread it out, one on one down low post ups. JoeW CJ cuts/drives to the hole, JoeT breaking down his man from the top. Fun!
That's a pretty small lineup but as far as the end of the game and us protecting a lead I'm all about it.

If everyone that can be back as we dream about how great that team will be I am not going to be shocked if a piece or 2 isn't there when the season kicks off. Always seems to happen. Sure hope this will be an exception.

I worry about Garza. Do 1st Team AA ever return? BUT, at the same time I would think the opportunity to win a BIG Championship and make a Final Four or more would be really hard to pass up. Unless of course you were only using college as a stepping stone for a year or two which certainly wasn't part of his life plan. The money will still be there in one more year and those memories would be priceless. I think his Dad has his head screwed on pretty straight and will have a big influence on the decision. Gotta be more fun watching your kid DOMINATE on a national level than watching him next year in a much lesser role on a pro team somewhere.

If everyone that can be back as we dream about how great that team will be I am not going to be shocked if a piece or 2 isn't there when the season kicks off. Always seems to happen. Sure hope this will be an exception.

I worry about Garza. Do 1st Team AA ever return? BUT, at the same time I would think the opportunity to win a BIG Championship and make a Final Four or more would be really hard to pass up. Unless of course you were only using college as a stepping stone for a year or two which certainly wasn't part of his life plan. The money will still be there in one more year and those memories would be priceless. I think his Dad has his head screwed on pretty straight and will have a big influence on the decision. Gotta be more fun watching your kid DOMINATE on a national level than watching him next year in a much lesser role on a pro team somewhere.

Associated Press All-American teams from 2019
1st team

RJ Barrett (FR-Duke) left for NBA - #3 pick
Ja Morant (SO-Murray State) left for NBA - #2 pick
Zion Williamson (FR-Duke) left for NBA - #1 pick
Grant Williams (JR-Kentucky) left for NBA - #22 pick
Cassius Winston (JR-Michigan State) returned to school

2nd Team
Jarrett Culver (SO-Texas Tech) left for NBA - #6 pick
Rui Hachimura (JR-Gonzaga) left for NBA - #9 pick
Carsen Edward (JR-Purdue) left for NBA - #33 pick
Ethan Happ (SR-Wisconsin) no decision to be made - undrafted
Markus Howard (JR-Marquette) returned to school

3rd Team
Brandon Clarke (JR-Gonzaga) - left for NBA - #21 pick
Kyle Guy (JR-Virginia) - left for NBA - #55 pick
De'Andre Hunter (SO-Virginia) - left for NBA - #4 pick
Dedric Lawson (SO-Kansas) - left for NBA - undrafted
P.J.Washington (SO-Kentucky) - left for NBA - #12 pick

my favorite Iowa team in the last 20 years. Just can’t say enough good things about this team. Even Fran. I’m wondering how Jordan cracks the starting lineup next year. JT is coming along nicely and gives us something Jordan never will be able to on the defensive end. Even in zone. No one is unseating CJ and Joe Smooth. Are we a better team if Jordan comes off the bench next year?
JBo is the best 3 point shooter under pressure in the country, he showed this year he can play the point and his defense was average. He will be a starter if healthy, he wont be coming off the bench. Fran will mix and match and Jordan gets as many minutes as he can handle. Especially if Garza doesn't come back.

People complain that Fran has never constructed a complete roster. Well next year we will have one. We will have the best player in the conference at center. We will have a 1st team conference player on Tue wing. We will have 3 of the top 5 3 point shooters in the conference (give it take). We will have the quickest player in the conference playing point guard, who loves to play defense. We will have a backup 7 footer to play the 4 or 5. We will have closers to close games. We will have clutch players to make clutch shots. We will have 3 good to really good perimeter defenders for when we need to play defense. And we will have 5 new kids (6 counting Patrick) who will either demand minutes with their play or make it easy on Fran to keep a small rotation. I'm hoping for a tough non conference schedule and the easiest draw ever for conference games. We need a Big 10 title and we need a top 3 seed in the dance.

All that said, I wish Garza and Wieskamp luck with the NBA and Bohannon luck at Kentucky.
The only thing I would add is I think he also had a complete team this year before losing 3 guys. And I’m not sure this year’s “complete team” would have been as fun to watch as the one we’re watching now.

Another thing about Garza...He really seems to enjoy playing college basketball and with this group of teammates.

Yes, but....
Have you seen how JoeW and CJ board? They are scrappy! Of course theres a balance, less size/little less rebounding vs offense, but offense can go a long way toward winning as this season is a testament to that. Plus, Joe T brings hustle to loose balls. I'll take Joe T (vs Rutgers version mind you) Jbo, CJ, JoeW, Garza. Man that's fun to say. Especially on offense. Where are you doubling from. Spread it out, one on one down low post ups. JoeW CJ cuts/drives to the hole, JoeT breaking down his man from the top. Fun!
For sure and we've played small for long stretches already. We have been consistently outrebounding teams all year. So yeah it's certainly a lineup that would work for stretches of time for sure.

Of course, Michigan St has to be the program that actually gets a 1st team All American to return this year.

But Winston and Garza are probably looking at similar fates. Their best case scenarios are finding a solid NBA franchise and being a contributor on that team's 2nd unit. And please don't take that as a jab at either one. Those types of guys are key parts to championship teams in the NBA.

I do believe both are good enough to be end of the bench NBA guys because they work so hard. And that job = a ton of money even though those guys rarely play.

It comes down to personal choice. And a lot of factors involved. Would love to see him and JW come back. Damn it would be Iowa's best shot in a very long time if they did and I'm not even factoring in Jbo or PM returning. But I'm expecting this is the last season we see either in an Iowa uniform. Great things like those 2 guys coming back never happen for Iowa basketball.

Already talking about next year's team? Ok, I'm your huckleberry. IMHO, Garza will be back. Of the list of 2019 all American's drafted I imagine the first rounders stuck but what about the second rounders? Garza continues to impress however how does his game transfer to the NBA with giant behemoths that can jump out of the gym and block shots. He needs to come back to Iowa and show he is not just a one year wonder.

Now with Garza back and jbo onboard next year, minutes for all the guards will go down. Is that a good thing? While any team in the country would welcome Jbo's offense, he is not an average defensive player. Quick guards continually blow by him. It's easy to remember Iowa's greatest three point shooter and put aside his defense but it is what it is. I rewatched the Rutgers game last night and was impressed that Fran went back with Pemsl after he threw the ball around his first time in.

Losing Garza would be a shot in the foot for this team next year. "Luka, I am your father, Frank. Listen to me!"

Bohannon hasn't been healthy yet in his career. Not only that, the injuries he's played with are injuries that kill your defensive ability. It's not like he's playing with a jacked up elbow and I'm using that as an excuse for poor defensive play. The only thing we have to go off of on how he plays defense when healthy is he's white and he's a little under sized. That's two strikes but it's not a for sure out. A 5th year starter is normally a smart enough player to play at least average defense.

Latest posts