Early Indications

The bi-polar personalities of some people on this board are amazing. I am also disappointed but this is not completely unexpected.

While we all heard the rumors of this transfer, i was never worried, as mac had said he thought he could convince him to stay. i was sure he would wait until all the staff was in place to at least decide whether or not to leave. But either way, in my mind i was sure he be here next year. oh well life goes on, and expect nothing more then what we got this year, next year.

I am not getting any younger, and i am getting impacaint for a chance to be among the nations elite. i am afarid i will end up like my dad who waited and suffer thru all those non winning football years, then passed away just months before hayden and his boys went to their first rose bowl. he never got to see his hawkeye footabll team win again. i don't want that to happen to me, waiting for the basketball team to win again.

Anyone who thought all current players would remain and all commits would actually get to Iowa City with the coaching change and the departure of Walthall was smoking funny weed. Sadly, short of bringing in a Roy Williams or Bruce Pearl, this is a normal part of coaching changes.

I'm eager to see what FM can do to 1) bring in needed help immediately and 2) begin recruiting better players and athletes than what we have/had.

I'm very dissappointed, as it had been looking like we might be able to bring everybody back. I'm not nearly as optimistic for next season as I was a couple weeks ago, but I'm also not going to turn around and start spouting off doomsday stuff along the lines of "here we go again!" crap. This happens in almost every coaching change, and if transfers in the wake of a change were an indicator of failure, then Lickliter wouldn't be so lonely in the unemployment line. It's just typical, and many coaches make the situation work early in their tenure, and then have success later.

There's your long term vision. For crying out loud, Mac just took over. It's not uncommon for recruits to leave when there's a coaching change.

Larson is a very talented recruit, and it's disappointing he's backpeddling. (Clearly he wasn't that hot on being a Hawkeye) But he's not going to determine the fate of Iowa basketball. Fuller was likely on his way out no matter what...he was never really at home in Iowa City.

The only thing shorter than some people's patience and vision is their attention span. It's an ATM, movies-on-demand, drive-thru, instant gratification world for so many. Thankfully they don't run the University or it's athletic programs.

Woke up this morning, reponded to a post that said early indications are that FM will turn the Hawk's around quickly. Said I didn't think we had any evidence that indicate success or failure at this point.

Got out of a conference this afternoon, looked at this site. Right now, indications are not promising. Hope FM has some rabbits up his sleeve. If he loses both Larson and Fuller, it is going to take a Herculean effort.

Get ahold of yourself.

There's your long term vision. For crying out loud, Mac just took over. It's not uncommon for recruits to leave when there's a coaching change.

Larson is a very talented recruit, and it's disappointing he's backpeddling. (Clearly he wasn't that hot on being a Hawkeye) But he's not going to determine the fate of Iowa basketball. Fuller was likely on his way out no matter what...he was never really at home in Iowa City.

The only thing shorter than some people's patience and vision is their attention span. It's an ATM, movies-on-demand, drive-thru, instant gratification world for so many. Thankfully they don't run the University or it's athletic programs.

You are aware we are talking about the best current player and By FAR the highest regarded recruit, right? Do you understand what the roster looks like right now? We have one post player and one PG. One SG has experience. One SF has experience. The team cannot even field a player at every position. They will have to play freshmen out of position.

A team of Cole, Larson, Fuller, Gatens, and Payne, backed by May, McCabe, Marble, and Brust would have been okay.

Replace that with Cole, May, Gatens, Brust/Marble and Payne and you realize that FM will have to get someone to contribute now, or this team will get destroyed, particularly if they don't sliwmthe game down and limit possessions.

With these two guys the Hawks may have been able to compete. Without them...

You are aware we are talking about the best current player and By FAR the highest regarded recruit, right? Do you understand what the roster looks like right now? We have one post player and one PG. One SG has experience. One SF has experience. The team cannot even field a player at every position. They will have to play freshmen out of position.

A team of Cole, Larson, Fuller, Gatens, and Payne, backed by May, McCabe, Marble, and Brust would have been okay.

Replace that with Cole, May, Gatens, Brust/Marble and Payne and you realize that FM will have to get someone to contribute now, or this team will get destroyed, particularly if they don't sliwmthe game down and limit possessions.

Seriously...Fran has been on the job for like two weeks. He doesn't even have his coaching staff together yet. Calm down and let things play out.

Yeah, and what I keep saying is that we will now get to see if he really has what it takes to turn the team around. If he finds a key recruiter that can deliver high D1 talent and he gets guys who can contribute, great.

However, if he fills his staff with guys that don't have a record of recruiting, goes into next year with the current depleted roster and cannot secure a group of bonafide D1 players by the November signing period, things will not look good.

What I can't quite stomach are the people who are treating this as no big deal. It is a huge deal. Today we got the two worst pieces of news possible pertaining to personnel. Does that mean no good news is coming? Not necessarily. Does it mean good news is coming? Not necessarily.

Yeah, and what I keep saying is that we will now get to see if he really has what it takes to turn the team around. If he finds a key recruiter that can deliver high D1 talent and he gets guys who can contribute, great.

However, if he fills his staff with guys that don't have a record of recruiting, goes into next year with the current depleted roster and cannot secure a group of bonafide D1 players by the November signing period, things will not look good.

What I can't quite stomach are the people who are treating this as no big deal. It is a huge deal. Today we got the two worst pieces of news possible pertaining to personnel. Does that mean no good news is coming? Not necessarily. Does it mean good news is coming? Not necessarily.

Posts like this make me wonder what your expectations for next year were, or are. Why not give Fran a chance to get his staff in place, weed out the guys he doesn't want, and rebuild the program the way he wants to build it? Iowa hired him to rebuild the program; to do what Lickliter was unable to do. The news about Fuller and Larson does not mean the sky is falling.

You're not counting all the post players. We've got Cougill, Brommer, and Archie as of right now. Brommer showed quite a bit of improvement last year, so I'm hoping he can improve even more with another offseason of work. Archie is intriguing to me. He's said to have quite a bit of athleticism, and more of a defensive-oriented guy, shot blocker and rebounder. In a more run-and-gun offense, that's one of the first things you want from your center (see Baylor's big man, Udoh, or however you spell it). Any points you get are gravy. So I think he could be a surprising fit.

If Fuller was practicing/working out with the team and knew he was leaving, I have a problem with that. Not sure why, but that doesn't sit well with me.

People really need to get over this hand wringing about next year. We weren't going to be good next year regardless. The ceiling was likely 18 wins if everything broke perfectly. Of course I wish Fuller and Larson were staying, but this gives Fran a chance to find the guys he wants right away and get people who are on the same page as him.

If Fuller was practicing/working out with the team and knew he was leaving, I have a problem with that. Not sure why, but that doesn't sit well with me.

He may have been giving McCaffery a chance to convince him to stay. I would applaud that over just leaving and not giving Coach any chance at all.

You're not counting all the post players. We've got Cougill, Brommer, and Archie as of right now. Brommer showed quite a bit of improvement last year, so I'm hoping he can improve even more with another offseason of work. Archie is intriguing to me. He's said to have quite a bit of athleticism, and more of a defensive-oriented guy, shot blocker and rebounder. In a more run-and-gun offense, that's one of the first things you want from your center (see Baylor's big man, Udoh, or however you spell it). Any points you get are gravy. So I think he could be a surprising fit.

Archie, Brommer, and Cougs? Really? You are okay with losing Fuller and Larson for these guys? These are the guys you want to clear off your roster. They are not legitimate Big Ten post players. And please stop with the Archie talk. He has NEVER showed himself to be a Big Ten player and he is not anything close to the guy you compared him to. Well, not at least unless he has made the most dramatic improvement any player has made since last summer in the history of the program.

No, I didn't forget those guys.

This is incredible. Fuller and Larson leave and suddenly Fran doesnt have what it takes to get the job done? Cmon. This reminds me of day 1 when Fran was hired and everyone was up in arms only to turn into loving the guy 1 day later.

I repeat. Why would you want to keep all the players that just had the worst record ever? None of them are that good

Posts like this make me wonder what your expectations for next year were, or are. Why not give Fran a chance to get his staff in place, weed out the guys he doesn't want, and rebuild the program the way he wants to build it? Iowa hired him to rebuild the program; to do what Lickliter was unable to do. The news about Fuller and Larson does not mean the sky is falling.

Exactly, Fuller was more then likely gone in Feb. and if Larson doesn't want to be here then SEE YA LATER.

Archie, Brommer, and Cougs? Really? You are okay with losing Fuller and Larson for these guys? These are the guys you want to clear off your roster. They are not legitimate Big Ten post players. And please stop with the Archie talk. He has NEVER showed himself to be a Big Ten player and he is not anything close to the guy you compared him to. Well, not at least unless he has made the most dramatic improvement any player has made since last summer in the history of the program.

No, I didn't forget those guys.
I, Perfectly fine with those players because they want to be here. As far as Archie as never shown him self as a B10 player, neither has Larson.

I admit that Larson and Fuller were the two guys I hoped would be here next year,so it is a setback,probably a big setback for next year.
I had hoped that Fran could retain the key guys,and add a juco or two that would allow us to win 18+ games next,which would allow us to recruit better for 2011 and 2012..so, time to go to plan B,which is scour the jucos for a 2-3 immediate contributors, which then would bridge us to the huge 2012 class which will have 5-6 open schollys...or maybe leave one open to add to next years class...re-make the roster by 2012,and hope Frans a recruiter.

Latest posts