Dump the Des Moines Register!!!

Maybe we should all take a break and think like Carson . If he doesn't have a problem, then we shouldn't either.

Wrong, bud. Carson is all of us. And he's our son. And our nephew. And the kids who play on our son's sports teams. And the kid across the street. Carson isn't going to go scorched earth because there's no upside to him being an antagonistic prick in the middle of his fund raising campaign, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be the voice that he can't.

I'd rather keep politics off here too, but I'll take the bait. You vote for who you want of course, but there's so much wrong with the connection you're trying to draw here.

giphy.gif

And Joe Biden only fired the Ukraine prosecutor because the prosecutor was corrupt and not because his son was making a fortune sitting on the board of a Ukrainian natural gas company while having zero experience in energy, natural gas, Ukraine, eastern europe and russia or anything outside of being kicked out of the navy for drug abuse. Warren and Sanders want to tax us all into Venezuela. so, you know, everyone should vote their conscience, you're right. i'm just waiting for the witch to fly back in and say she's running again.

Wrong, bud. Carson is all of us. And he's our son. And our nephew. And the kids who play on our son's sports teams. And the kid across the street. Carson isn't going to go scorched earth because there's no upside to him being an antagonistic prick in the middle of his fund raising campaign, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be the voice that he can't.

what is scary about this cancel culture is that it is a tactic of control. the ding-dongs at the DMR didn't post their big reveal until after the kid was on a FOX show and that (apparently) enraged them and he had to be canceled out for appearing on FOX. And I'm not defending FOX in any way...that's just what happened.

Here are the kickers. The D.S. reporter also when to Anheiser Busch (recall, they offered to match the donations) to get them to pull out and they did. AB was threatened with supporting a racist. oh, but there is irony here, folks. the racist tweets were recounts of "jokes" that were taken from a comedy show Tosh 2.0. ain't defending any racist jokes, here, just telling where they came from. and guess what? who is a big advertiser for Tosh 2.0? yeah, Anheiser Busch. So, AB spent money to make money on Tosh 2.0, but would later agree Tosh 2.0 jokes were racist by canceling their support for carson king. so...uh, what was the DMR's point again? And, as we now know, the hero reporter in our story also had racist tweets in HIS past. So again, someone explain why this makes any sense?

Who here wants to be judged by and held accountable to the things they said at age 16? this country is backwards.

Hunter also revealed reporter Aaron Calvin was “no longer with the Register” after his ghoulish hatchet job against the cancer fundraiser over tweets King sent in high school, but the damage was done. As if they had let Jay Rosen or Brian Stelter pen this, she demonstrated a holier-than-thou proclamation from on high to us peons below that the paper will do better. Yeah right.

"Ghoulish Hatchet Job" is the goods.....

Nice

:cool:

This has to be the dumbest thread ever on Hawkeyenation. The kid did something right -- the Register reported it. The kid did something wrong when he was younger -- the Register reported it, albeit reluctantly at the end of the positive story. The kid did the right thing by immediately apologizing for his previous inappropriate actions. Anheiser-Busch did the right thing by sticking by their donation....and certainly did nothing wrong by saying that will be the end of their relationship with the kid. The kid holds no animosity toward the Register -- he's apparently intelligent enough to take responsibility for doing something stupid, and understands the challenges of modern journalism, as outlined quite accurately by the Register editor. I've seen some stupid things in my 60 years of living in this state, but this over-the-top 'outrage' toward the Register when the kid himself has no problem with how things shook out takes the cake.

Journalistically the Register fucked up yugely. Reasonable people can conclude it hurt what seems like a fine man who has experienced tremendous personal growth over the past seven years and is behind a tremendous effort to help sick children.

Journalistically the Register fucked up yugely. Reasonable people can conclude it hurt what seems like a fine man who has experienced tremendous personal growth over the past seven years and is behind a tremendous effort to help sick children.

Personal growth from finding a funny person funny. I hope I never experience that personal growth.

The DMR has not been candid about any of this. Their agenda blurred their vision, and now they're getting smacked in the face because of it. Talk about not knowing your market.
Consequence of not being locally owned and an old hag making decisions about what to print.

Yikes this Aaron guy has gone full clown mode

"I recognize that I'm not the first person to be doxxed like this — this whole campaign was taken up by right-wing ideologues and largely driven by that force," Calvin said to BuzzFeed. "It was just a taste of what I assume that women and journalists of color suffer all the time, but the kind of locality and regional virality of the story made it so intense."

That little puke has the temerity to claim victimhood and liken himself to women and journalists of color. That, folks, is the generation about to inherit this planet.

Beam me up Scotty ...

Anymore this story is about as old as an 8 year old tweet. Maybe we let sleeping dogs lie. The only thing, for me anyway, is situations like these remind me of what a cruel, fucked up world we live in some days. Very sad to take a humanly gesture of kindness and unselfishness on the part of Carson King and have it turn ugly by a person who seems starved for attention. Moving on from this and onto things such as family and Hawkeye football God damn it. Let's Go Hawks!!!

Well, I think we can close out the speculative discussion on this kid. Pretty clear where he's coming from.

What I took from this article was that the idea to run the old Tweets on CK was the idea of the reporter not his editors. That's a question I had. The editors green lighted it, but he instigated it and pushed it. And I'm not buying that no one from the DMR called Busch for a comment.

Latest posts