Duke won’t play in NCAA Tournament

No and no they're not.

So I agree with the fact that they probably won't get another year of eligibility, but how do you see it as them not getting screwed? OK maybe screwed isn't the right choice of words, but for some seniors this may have been their only chance to get to experience March Madness and it's getting ripped out from underneath them. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't happen, or that I see it as them getting screwed, but definitely see it as a situation in which once in a life time opportunities, that they've worked toward since they started playing, are being taken from them.

While I agree that it's not necessarily them getting screwed, we see it as a disappointment that we won't get to watch one of the best tournaments in sports. They see it as a dream being taken away.

If Duke is saying they won't send their team, they might as well say they're not leaving their house. There's nothing extra risky about a basketball arena except with thousands of people packed into the stands.

No fans = no elevated risk.

Delaying or rescheduling isn't an option. These venues have other things on their calendar...most won't all be available. It's either Go or No.

Last edited:
If they cancel the NCAA's, will they grant the players another year of eligibility? They're getting totally screwed.

I was thinking about that as it pertains to Iowa. Fran's head might explode thinking about lineup combinations if Kriener and Evelyn were able to return.:)

So I agree with the fact that they probably won't get another year of eligibility, but how do you see it as them not getting screwed? OK maybe screwed isn't the right choice of words, but for some seniors this may have been their only chance to get to experience March Madness and it's getting ripped out from underneath them. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't happen, or that I see it as them getting screwed, but definitely see it as a situation in which once in a life time opportunities, that they've worked toward since they started playing, are being taken from them.

While I agree that it's not necessarily them getting screwed, we see it as a disappointment that we won't get to watch one of the best tournaments in sports. They see it as a dream being taken away.

I wouldn't put a fork in the NCAA tournament for awhile. We are coming up on a dead period in the sports landscape until September so there is a lot of time to work with and an awful lot of money at stake.

Life isn't fair most of the time. These are extraneous situations and clearly not the norm, but "life's a bitch, then ya marry one, then you die" -Some guy once

how would they select the field with conference tournaments not even happening? Do they forfeit the conferences that have had theirs already and reward regular season? I just don’t see the point of that. There clearly isn’t gonna be a tournament

The best chance to save people like that is to spread it as fast as possible so they can isolate themselves for an amount of time that's actually possible. Let everyone that is young and healthy get it really quick and get over it, then they can come back out into the world after its safe. If we try to prolong it for a year, they wont be able to isolate themselves for that long and it will increase their chances of getting it. We need to treat this like the chicken pox and purposely expose everyone early.

I'm only half joking.

you can get it twice as far as I know. This isn't a get it once and your immune kind of deal. I don't think everyone shares your "we should all just get together" theory. I could be wrong about that tho. But I don't know if that REALLY is the best plan. If it were, that's probably what we'd be doing... ya know, like Sars, or the tons of other shit that has become before this. These same entities weren't cancelling for those outbreaks, this is different I think. I am not trying to be a social media warrior here, I could ABSOLUTELY be wrong. My take is - I am ok with airing on the side of caution, mostly because I have seen other countries that didn't. Sometimes people are smart enough to learn from others mistakes.

you can get it twice as far as I know. This isn't a get it once and your immune kind of deal. I don't think everyone shares your "we should all just get together" theory. I could be wrong about that tho. But I don't know if that REALLY is the best plan. If it were, that's probably what we'd be doing... ya know, like Sars, or the tons of other shit that has become before this. These same entities weren't cancelling for those outbreaks, this is different I think. I am not trying to be a social media warrior here, I could ABSOLUTELY be wrong. My take is - I am ok with airing on the side of caution, mostly because I have seen other countries that didn't. Sometimes people are smart enough to learn from others mistakes.
Funny you mention getting it twice because I just read an article on it. They were saying that it's pretty likely it was human error in testing, but couldn't rule out the possibility that people get it twice. If you indeed can, that's a gamechanger.

Funny you mention getting it twice because I just read an article on it. They were saying that it's pretty likely it was human error in testing, but couldn't rule out the possibility that people get it twice. If you indeed can, that's a gamechanger.

reinfection would be highly unlikely: Most infectious diseases trigger a permanent immune response during recovery. If anyone were to get COVID-19 a second time, it’d be immunocompromised individuals

Latest posts