Drake vs. Iowa - MAKE IT HAPPEN

hawkstats1979

Everyone is screwing with their schedules this year because of something or whatever, but maybe Iowa and Drake can fit a match in their busy schedules. I miss the Iowa vs. UNI matches at the UNIDome, and it's not a bad thing that Iowa had to go to the Knapp Center every now and then. But since Drake is good this year, and Iowa's not bad, this wouldn't be a bad matchup. Plus, they're only 90 minutes away.

Last edited:
Solid suggestion except for the virus hoax thing. Come on man, be better than this.

I would welcome a game against Drake. DeVries has Drake playing solid basketball, they haven't been this good for this long since the early 70s.

Is making fun of bad reading comprehension allowed in this thread? I haven't seen any yet, but I want to be able to jump on it if I do without being scolded for something entirely unrelated.

Why would we play Drake when we play in the best conference in the land and face a tough game twice a week. That would be a waste of time and resources.

Dumb idea.

I'll get eaten alive for this, but I miss the "home and home" setups with UNI and Drake.

Those were good for the little guys and character building for the big guys (i.e. Iowa and ISU). I'd go a step further and say it's snobby for the big schools to duck the little guys' places. Let's play!

I'll get eaten alive for this, but I miss the "home and home" setups with UNI and Drake.

Those were good for the little guys and character building for the big guys (i.e. Iowa and ISU). I'd go a step further and say it's snobby for the big schools to duck the little guys' places. Let's play!
It does absolutely nothing to benefit Iowa. So they should not do it IMO.

I don’t miss playing UNI in Cedar Falls, I went to a couple of games and it was brutal.

Drake is 20th in the NET currently so it would be a good win for iowa if they can win it.

With covid screwing up drake's schedule already I doubt they'll have many openings for this though.

Theoretically it could fit February 23th or 24th. Not likely, but Iowa doesn't play during the week and Drake also has a 9 day gap. One of the teams would be left with a 2 day turn around either before or after.

Theoretically it could fit February 23th or 24th. Not likely, but Iowa doesn't play during the week and Drake also has a 9 day gap. One of the teams would be left with a 2 day turn around either before or after.
I'm pretty sure Iowa is at their max amount of games allowed this year. I big 10 game would have to be canceled that they wouldn't have time to make up.

Yeah, the most likely avenue would be both teams having opponents cancel, Similar to how Gonzaga and BYU got their matchup.

I'm with you. I always kind of enjoyed these games (except when Iowa lost of course).

As for the "these games don't do anything for Iowa" argument that I often see, I would argue that beating someone like Maryland Eastern Shore or Coppin State by 40 in front of maybe a half full at best CHA don't do much for us, either. Yawn.

These rivalry games are far more intriguing IMO. Just as a college basketball fan, that's how I look at it, anyway.

Latest posts