Drake Hires Matt Gatens

You would think there would be some room for a good basketball mind/person in Iowa's organization...somewhere. Does Barta believe we are "operating on all cylinders" within the Iowa Basketball program? If we can have a person in the athletic department watching paint dry for a few years, because she didn't work well with others...how in the hell can't we find a place for a guy like Matt Gatens?

If there is no change with the staff and we suck on defense again...well...I agree that drastic changes are necessary.

Congrats to a truly honorable and appreciated Hawkeye. But WinOne is correct -- Matt would be an upgrade to some of the deadwood on the current Iowa staff. He should be back in Iowa City.

Congrats to a truly honorable and appreciated Hawkeye. But WinOne is correct -- Matt would be an upgrade to some of the deadwood on the current Iowa staff. He should be back in Iowa City.
I like Gatens.

But Jumping from travel and video scout co-ordinator to full-time assistant ....

Yeah, .... doesn’t mean he is better than what Iowa has.

I like Gatens.

But Jumping from travel and video scout co-ordinator to full-time assistant ....

Check back in 6-8 years. He may be ready, a la Hoiberg, for the whole ball of wax.

I like him too. If for no other reason than the way he persevered through some absolute crap basketball teams. He went out the way you would want any senior to go out.

Too bad he was dragging Andrew Brommer and Devon Archie with him.

I like Gatens.

He would bring something that really hasn't shown up well lately...toughness, perseverance, and a solid mental approach to being the man teams are gearing to stop and still delivering. He knows what that takes. I think he would provide some perspective that would be valuable. Just my two cents.

After the past year...some perspective is needed. Last year was a disaster from the beginning with the trip to Europe where they played against guys that played in jeans and street shoes...tell me how that prepped them for the B10 season again? Garza dominated...awesome. If you go to Europe like that...play a few good teams...that will beat you...learn something...not just that the bread is awesome in Italy...and they make a pasta from scratch.

You would think there would be some room for a good basketball mind/person in Iowa's organization...somewhere. Does Barta believe we are "operating on all cylinders" within the Iowa Basketball program? If we can have a person in the athletic department watching paint dry for a few years, because she didn't work well with others...how in the hell can't we find a place for a guy like Matt Gatens?

If there is no change with the staff and we suck on defense again...well...I agree that drastic changes are necessary.
He's pretty young yet. As are guys like Horner and Oliver. I can't help but think in time one of them will end up back in Iowa city in some way or another.

how about given him some time to actually gain experience as a coach to see if he's any good at it, or not?

how about given him some time to actually gain experience as a coach to see if he's any good at it, or not?

I think the point we are trying to make is that something needs to change and sometimes you get a lift from new blood and new perspective. That's right, someone needs to give him a chance to gain experience. I'm just thinking bringing a guy like this in, young and can probably still hold his own with most guys, would be a good thing. Someone needs to up the intensity level...especially on defense.

I think the point we are trying to make is that something needs to change and sometimes you get a lift from new blood and new perspective. That's right, someone needs to give him a chance to gain experience. I'm just thinking bringing a guy like this in, young and can probably still hold his own with most guys, would be a good thing. Someone needs to up the intensity level...especially on defense.

i don't disagree. but gatens has no coaching resume. and if a change on the staff is going to be made, i'd want a defensive guru type assistant. i understand they hyperbole has its place; i use it, but that seems overboard to me. Fran and staff have things to fix both in approach and on court, but they are not clueless. Many, many...in fact, I'd say most schools struggle with defensive prowess and consistency. The one thing about basketball is that defense takes an supreme commitment by the players. You can discuss the x's and o's, but the supreme commitment must come from the players. that was the point Fran was trying to make during his podcast with Rob and also not calling out his players publicly. Fran's answer was well crafted, in my opinion.

Probably should have gone there in the first place, in retrospect.

When Bo Ryan passes on a 6'3, 6'4 guard in his own backyard, it's usually for good reason.

I remember exactly where I was in September 2012 when I heard he had verbally committed to Iowa. JustAGame at Wisconsin Dells, middle school volleyball tournament. 98% of that facility, and the parents of our daughter's volleyball team, were Badger fans. I asked if anyone had heard of Brady Ellingson. No one had. Red flag from that day on.

How do you know Matt Gatens is that guy? Because you liked him as a player it doesn't automatically translate into him being the assistant that changes the mindset of the program.

I like Gatens.

Director of Basketball Operations is NOT a full-time assistant in the sense that most people think about assistant coaches. My nephew was DoBO for Indiana St for a year. From a website "A large amount of the job is administrative work -- making sure the budget is in order, maintaining the daily schedule, working with Under Armour to order equipment and really anything else the head coach needs to help make the program run smoothly. The director of operations also helps maintain the academic side of things, and makes sure everything is a-okay on the compliance side of things."

So Gatens took a job near his home town. But he will do less coaching as a director of basketball operations at Drake than he did when he was a graduate assistant at Auburn. But he will get paid more.

Latest posts