Mr. Davis

blubberhawk

Mr. Davis gave Iowa some great years and was a consistent NCAA tournament qualifier with an elite 8, two sweet 16s and six other years making the round of 32.
He was run off after 13 years. He was also a very good person.

Fran is in year 12. He is paid just under $3,000,000 a year. It is obvious that the Iowa program is stuck in neutral. Hell, even the hated Steve Alford gave us a couple Big 10 tournament titles.

Fran needs to accomplish something soon or shown the door.

Mr. Davis gave Iowa some great years and was a consistent NCAA tournament qualifier with an elite 8, two sweet 16s and six other years making the round of 32.

Fran is in year 12. He is paid just under $3,000,000 a year. It is obvious that the Iowa program is stuck in neutral. Hell, even the hated Steve Alford gave us a couple Big 10 tournament titles.

We were runner up in the NIT a few years ago, bud. Played in MSG. It was huge.

Name some alternative coaches that are available and have a P6 resume of a bunch of success.

Because if you don’t, all you’re doing is taking a wild ass guess as to whether it’ll be an improvement or not.

It’s like buying and replacing random parts on your car and hoping it will fix whatever the problem is just by dumb luck.

Not going to happen. I’ve been an Iowa fan for over fifty years. I totally get what you are saying.You want the team you cheer for to be more successful and occasionally great. That’s just not Iowa and likely not ever going to be. If it happens it will be a fluke.

The general fan base doesn’t demand it. Cub fans know how this goes. Decade after decade they filled wrigley field. It’s a beautiful ball park to go out and enjoy on a warm summer day with your family and have a hot dog. If the cubs won on that day all the much better, but not required.

If you want a team that is going to be playing for titles every few years then chose a program that does that.

This is how it works. Let’s say in football you chose Alabama to follow. You find their forums and sign up on that chat board. You start to follow the football team. You don’t know any of the players at all but as you get on the chat room and follow the sport web pages you start to familiarize yourself with them. You learn about the freshmen players coming in. By the time those freshmen are juniors you start to know them as players and maybe some of their personal history. Your team is in the conference championship game almost every year. If they win you know they will likely play in the four team playoff title. Eventually you start to identity with the team.

You’ve still kept an eye on your old school and wished them the best. However you start to realize how much fun it is to be cheering to win the big game EVERY year while your old team gets its seven or eight wins and goes to the Outback Bowl which no one in the college football world really gives a shit about.

As the years roll by you start to follow your old team less and less until you don’t really know the players. Occasionally you come across them on the TV and see their rabid fans cheering wildly for their 7-4 team. During the least ten years your new team has played for seven conference titles and been to the four team playoff several times.

As you look at those fans of your old team you will wonder what the hell is with those people, even though you were caught up in it once yourself.

Now here the problem with all of this. Often times people grow up watching a team with their family and friends. It becomes a family activity. The moments of just going and enjoying being with family and/or friends is Priceless really.

So that is the challenge of walking away from an affiliation backed with memories with loved ones and just starting over with a strange team. It doesn’t mean you can’t slowly build memories and associations with a new team or get involved with others things with your family and friends. Community projects helping others.

Your just going to frustrate yourself wanting your team to play for national Titles in football or basketball when it likely hasn’t happened in your lifetime. It’s unlikely it will ever happen in your life time as an Iowa fan.

So if it is that important to you then do as I suggested. Pick out a prominent team that plays for all the marbles on a occasional basis and still follow Iowa.

I understand how you feel, but the simple fact is that it’s not expected at Iowa or demanded at Iowa by the fan base. Everyone is just enjoying the games and having a hotdog. That’s no knock on them as they are building memories with family and friends.

Not going to happen. I’ve been an Iowa fan for over fifty years. I totally get what you are saying.You want the team you cheer for to be more successful and occasionally great. That’s just not Iowa and likely not ever going to be. If it happens it will be a fluke.

The general fan base doesn’t demand it.
Even if they did demand it it wouldn't mean a damn thing.

nebraska fans demand excellence probably more than any fan base in the country. And look what it gets them.

Excellence in college sports isn't something you get by playing musical coaches, or "hitting the portal," or any of those other bullshit things fans want. Excellence in college sports is 98% luck, and then using that lucky run to out-recruit everyone else which sets you up for 10 or 15 years until your unicorn coach retires.

But yeah, better fire Fran cause it's a sure bet it'll get better.

If Fran would only figure out how to coach and get his team to do one thing, ONE! Get a body on a guy and block out. Opponents rebounding just kills this team.

Oh, and I guess closing out on 3 pt shooters would help.

Fran typically has enough offense to win, typically.

Iowa has lost to 3 good teams, 2 of them on the road. I was hoping for a split, they didn't get it, but still a lot of opportunities in front of them. This team lost a lot and is still finding itself, I think they will continue to progress and get better.... My expectation is still the Dance.

Was Mr. Davis a better coach than Fran? Don't know. Was Mr. Davis a better recuiter/evaluator of future talent? It appears so. Just overall, I think Fran has really whiffed on a legitmate point guard. I like Joe T. he hustles, can play some D, but if you look at his ability to hit shots, drive and score and be a game changer it ain't happening. Looking ahead this season, we will be lucky to win 4 or 5 Big Ten games. We should beat Nebbie and Northwestern, but after that it could be brutal.

Iowa has lost to 3 good teams, 2 of them on the road. I was hoping for a split, they didn't get it, but still a lot of opportunities in front of them. This team lost a lot and is still finding itself, I think they will continue to progress and get better.... My expectation is still the Dance.
I'm not in the fire Fran crowd, but the only problem I have with this statement (although I agree with most of it) is the fact that Iowa has only played 3 good teams. With the non-conference schedule Fran put together, sure it's been fun to watch, but it's gave us no indication of what to expect from this team other than were capable of beating cupcakes.

Name some alternative coaches that are available and have a P6 resume of a bunch of success.

Because if you don’t, all you’re doing is taking a wild ass guess as to whether it’ll be an improvement or not.

It’s like buying and replacing random parts on your car and hoping it will fix whatever the problem is just by dumb luck.

Does the new ISU coach fit the mode of 'having a bunch of P6 success"? I dont know which is why I am asking. Fran's guard courts have been less than stellar against really good teams.

Anybody can answer my question. There must be a whole bunch of baller guards out there if the ISU coach rebuilt the team in 6 months.

This is a dumb thread. Fran took over a dumpster fire and turned Iowa into a consistent winner. He has had a first team Big 10 players almost yearly the last 8 years. He produced the best player in the history of the program and one of the best true centers nationally in a generation just last year. He typically finishes in the Top half or third of the conference. He is putting a few guys into the league. He plays a fun style of BB. He goes apeshit on the sidelines sometimes and makes us all laugh.

Yes, he has not won a conference title or gotten to the Sweet 16. You want that. Join the club. Fran wants that. We all hope it happens. These things are typically like lightening in a bottle. You just gotta catch it. Also, let's not forget there are no 14 teams in the league, meaning conference titles are even harder to come by given the competition.

As to the Mr. Davis reference, remembered we fired him because he couldn't take the next step. How did that go for us? Scandals and douchbaggery followed by the worst 3 years in modern history. Fran righted the ship. So, as Fry noted, careful what you wish for.

I'm not in the fire Fran crowd, but the only problem I have with this statement (although I agree with most of it) is the fact that Iowa has only played 3 good teams. With the non-conference schedule Fran put together, sure it's been fun to watch, but it's gave us no indication of what to expect from this team other than were capable of beating cupcakes.
Yeah, the non con is weak but Iowa is 1-3 in Q1 and Q2 games, so 4 so far. That's pretty much the same amount of tough games as everyone else at this point. For context

Arizona has played 3 Q1/Q2 games so far
LSU has played 2 Q1/Q2 games so far
Houston has played 1 Q1/Q2 games so far
Baylor has played 2 Q1/Q2 games so far
Nova has played 3 Q1/Q2 games so far
Purdue has played 3 Q1/Q2 games so far
Kansas has played 4 Q1/Q2 games so far
Gonzaga has played 4 Q1/Q2 games so far
USC has played 3 Q1/Q2 games so far
Duke has played 3 games against Q1/Q2

^ that's the top 10 Net teams

So, Iowa has played 4 - this notion that Iowa is playing tomato cans while everyone else is playing tough schedules is kind of fools gold. Iowa has played 6 Q4 games, same amount as Gonzaga, Uconn, Texas Tech, Wake, Kentucky and Indiana - and most other schools have played 5 against Q4. Iowa is playing a comparable schedule to their peers. It's weak but the notion Iowa is playing a drastically different schedule than everyone else is false.

Last edited:
Too much logic for a message board.

3-4 games ago what were our expectations? They shouldn't have been all that high. Then all of a sudden we beat VA and look ok in a loss to Purdue on the road and we are supposed to compete for the BIG title??? No no no put on the brakes folks. This team has a lot of new guys in new roles and it was always going to be a roller coaster ride of a season.

From what we've seen so far I think we are better then 9th in the league like some predictions but I don't think we can climb into top 5 either. Losing what we lost and changing how we play O so drastically was always going to mean we'll be really inconsistent.

It will be interesting to see how many more years Fran can stretch the rebuilding job he did in his first few years (along with NCAA tournament appearances afterwards) without any Big Ten Title or NCAA tournament run that goes to the Sweet 16 or longer.

I agree, Mr. Davis is a very good man and still a damn shame how that was handled with him. I don't know how the hell you run off a coach like that?

Last edited:
I think part of the schedule reputation is that IA has either played Q1/2 teams or bottom of Q4 teams. It really wasn't a balance schedule at all. It would have been nice to play a couple of Q3 teams to test them more before this gauntlet.

The general fan base doesn’t demand it. Cub fans know how this goes. Decade after decade they filled wrigley field. It’s a beautiful ball park to go out and enjoy on a warm summer day with your family and have a hot dog. If the cubs won on that day all the much better, but not required.

If you want a team that is going to be playing for titles every few years then chose a program that does that.

This is how it works. Let’s say in football you chose Alabama to follow. You find their forums and sign up on that chat board. You start to follow the football team. You don’t know any of the players at all but as you get on the chat room and follow the sport web pages you start to familiarize yourself with them. You learn about the freshmen players coming in. By the time those freshmen are juniors you start to know them as players and maybe some of their personal history. Your team is in the conference championship game almost every year. If they win you know they will likely play in the four team playoff title. Eventually you start to identity with the team.

You’ve still kept an eye on your old school and wished them the best. However you start to realize how much fun it is to be cheering to win the big game EVERY year while your old team gets its seven or eight wins and goes to the Outback Bowl which no one in the college football world really gives a shit about.

As the years roll by you start to follow your old team less and less until you don’t really know the players. Occasionally you come across them on the TV and see their rabid fans cheering wildly for their 7-4 team. During the least ten years your new team has played for seven conference titles and been to the four team playoff several times.

As you look at those fans of your old team you will wonder what the hell is with those people, even though you were caught up in it once yourself.

Now here the problem with all of this. Often times people grow up watching a team with their family and friends. It becomes a family activity. The moments of just going and enjoying being with family and/or friends is Priceless really.

So that is the challenge of walking away from an affiliation backed with memories with loved ones and just starting over with a strange team. It doesn’t mean you can’t slowly build memories and associations with a new team or get involved with others things with your family and friends. Community projects helping others.

Your just going to frustrate yourself wanting your team to play for national Titles in football or basketball when it likely hasn’t happened in your lifetime. It’s unlikely it will ever happen in your life time as an Iowa fan.

So if it is that important to you then do as I suggested. Pick out a prominent team that plays for all the marbles on a occasional basis and still follow Iowa.

I understand how you feel, but the simple fact is that it’s not expected at Iowa or demanded at Iowa by the fan base. Everyone is just enjoying the games and having a hotdog. That’s no knock on them as they are building memories with family and friends.
That is a very interesting and wise take. Really it comes down to what the market demands. Now, I will say, if Carver becomes a ghost town like the Licklighter years, then change could happen. People have to vote with their dollars if they want change....and have to be persistent with it.