Doxsie: East-West thing would have been perfect

bws258

Thank goodness: Big Ten saves Iowa-Purdue rivalry

"I guess this is what we should have expected from a league led by a man who often makes the most rudimentary concepts sound like nuclear rocketry. Jim Delany and the Big Ten managed to take something that could have been very simple and make it much more complicated than it needed to be."

"Delany ... said the division decisions were based on three guiding principles: Competitive equality, rivalries and geography. They did OK on the first one, but botched an easy opportunity to do a much better job on the other two."

"They could have - and should have - done something simple by splitting the league along purely geographical lines: Give us an Eastern Division and a Western Division and it would have been fine. It would have impacted fewer rivalries than what they gave us. And if geography was a criteria, as Delany earlier had said it would not be, the East-West thing would have been perfect. And it would have been much more balanced from a competitive standpoint than anyone would have you believe."

Thank you Don, my thoughts exactly

Last edited:
Re: Doxsie: Thank goodness: Big Ten saves Iowa-Purdue rivalry

While we are stuck with Purdue as our protected cross-over game, they did in fact ensure that the Pig will be in play each and every year. That is the rivalry game for Iowa that was protected.

Re: Doxsie: Thank goodness: Big Ten saves Iowa-Purdue rivalry

Big whoop... it is IMPOSSIBLE to appease everyone in this division dividing scenario, and I think we came out pretty darn well.

Thank goodness: Big Ten saves Iowa-Purdue rivalry

"I guess this is what we should have expected from a league led by a man who often makes the most rudimentary concepts sound like nuclear rocketry. Jim Delany and the Big Ten managed to take something that could have been very simple and make it much more complicated than it needed to be."

"Delany ... said the division decisions were based on three guiding principles: Competitive equality, rivalries and geography. They did OK on the first one, but botched an easy opportunity to do a much better job on the other two."

"They could have - and should have - done something simple by splitting the league along purely geographical lines: Give us an Eastern Division and a Western Division and it would have been fine. It would have impacted fewer rivalries than what they gave us. And if geography was a criteria, as Delany earlier had said it would not be, the East-West thing would have been perfect. And it would have been much more balanced from a competitive standpoint than anyone would have you believe."

Thank you Don, my thoughts exactly

Disagree.

PSU would have been great since they took away Wisc, but Barta/Mason couldn't even get that ... of course, how do you tell Purdue, "you get OSU, PSU, and Nebraska every year"?

If you have 2 protected rivals I think the divisions could be altered at the same time ... Delany did say that this alignment would be re-evaluated continually

Latest posts