Dowling DE John Waggoner Strengthens Hawkeye Bond on Visit

RobHowe

Administrator
West Des Moines Dowling 4-Star D-End John Waggoner was back at Kinnick Stadium Saturday. He talked with HN about the visit and updated his recruitment:

LINK

So Scout and Rivals differ on their position for him. Is he a SDE or a WDE in Iowa's system? If he's a WDE, he'd make a good partner to AJ.

So Scout and Rivals differ on their position for him. Is he a SDE or a WDE in Iowa's system? If he's a WDE, he'd make a good partner to AJ.

I think at this point he could be either. I think weak-side might be the better spot for him, though. Depends on how he grows. He's got a good frame.

No prediction here but seems like most nationally recognized in-state talent that delay their decision making often end up elsewhere. At one time he announced he was going to make a decision in July. Now it sounds like he could wait until D-day next Feb.

Much like we tell certain prospects to be patient (pending possible changes/decommits) I keep thinking ND may be doing the same with Waggoner. Also sure ISU would love to make a "story" of his landing as well.

I don't know why, but I have a good feeling about our chances with Waggoner for some reason. No, I don't have any inside information or connections, just a hunch.

I know he has some other big offers out that have to be mighty enticing, but I'm hoping he sees the opportunity to be part of something special with all of the young talent and potential on this team. It seems like he's established a pretty strong relationship with the staff too, as far as I've read and seen. Also, being there first hand for that beat down Saturday and being in that locker room had to have been pretty awesome. Hopefully he wants to stay closer to home as well.

Just imagine him and AJ terrorizing QB's for the next 2-3 seasons. Man that would be awesome.

I think Waggoner and AJ might do well on the DL together.

that might be limited. i used to think this also. but, AJ will be true SO when Wags is true FR. Wags likely redshirts. Then AJ will be true JR when Wags is RS FR and wags would probable see time to the degree AJ is now. So, if you believe that AJ sticks around for 4 years, then when AJ is a SR and Wags a RS SO, they will both be starters.

I think the consensus is that Wags would need a RS to simply add muscle and strength.

I have a friend who has watched Waggoner play 5-6 times over the last 2 years. He just thinks he does not have the quick burst off the snap of the ball to be a really good pass rusher.

Last edited:
I have a friend who has watched Waggoner play 5-6 times over the last 2 years. He jsut thinks he does nto have the quick burst off the snap of the ball to be a really good pass rusher.

So all the elite programs (and others) that have offered him are missing this in their evaluations and projections? I don't think so.

No never said anything like that. He is being recruited by a number of schools as the a DE in a 3-4 which we do not play. So you said we are recruiting him as a DE in a 4-3 and all other schools are recruiting him at that position. I don't think so. I simply said what a friend who observed him felt he saw nothing more or less.

Interesting that Tate Wildeman was told we are full at DE and only taking 1. This was reported on several sites this weekend. We have 2 DEs scheduled to visit in December. One from Michigan and one from Ohio I believe.

Last edited:
So all the elite programs (and others) that have offered him are missing this in their evaluations and projections? I don't think so.

I'd be curious to see how many of those offers are still on the table. Don't get me wrong I'd love him at ISU but there is a lot of talk about the bigger programs cooling on him.

Is there seriously a chance we lose Duggan and Waggoner to the Clowns?
Waggoner? I'm not sure, considering I've heard a lot of bigger schools are cooling on him due to how they perceive his senior tape. I've also heard he's still holding out for that Notre Dame offer, but if the former is true, I doubt it comes.

Duggan? I HIGHLY doubt it. I'm not sold on Duggan coming here either, but if we lose him to anyone, my bet would be to an out of state blue blood like Penn State or Georgia.

Waggoner? I'm not sure, considering I've heard a lot of bigger schools are cooling on him due to how they perceive his senior tape. I've also heard he's still holding out for that Notre Dame offer, but if the former is true, I doubt it comes.

Duggan? I HIGHLY doubt it. I'm not sold on Duggan coming here either, but if we lose him to anyone, my bet would be to an out of state blue blood like Penn State or Georgia.

Chrissy Williams over on Cryfan said something like they're in a really good position with Duggan. I found that hard to believe but maybe their style of offense is attractive to him. Would be alarming if we start losing top in-state kids to Campbell after 2 years and a 10-14 record.

Iowa is telling DE prospects they are full. I've heard a rumor they might not be totally sold on Waggoner too.They'll take him, but they are starting to get tired of waiting as they shift recruiting needs.