Double standard

Playmaker

None of the pundits disagree with OSU being in the Top 4 despite having no better quality wins than Iowa...they simply justify it by stating that they cannot ignore the obvious talent on the squad, and the fact that they've under performed all season. They admit using the "eyeball test" to quickly raise other teams....so, why can they not use the "eyeball test" for at least the time being to justify keeping OSU out of the Top 4? Just because you are known to have talent doesn't make you elite every season.....look at ASU who some had in the Final 4 sitting at 5-5 with more talent than 90% of the teams in the country. I guarantee that if any of the current Top 4 happen to stumble, we will hear talk about how unfair it is to still have the likes of Iowa in the mix, and how we really need 8 teams in to be fair.

Last edited:
OSU has not played a ranked opponent the entire season until this week. They've played Hawaii, N Illinois, and W Michigan.

Hello, Cowherd, are you there?

They also won the NC last year and brought back the majority of the team. I'm sure they get a bit of preferential treatment. Should they? I don't know as that can be debated, but I can understand why they do. They are still the king.

It doesn't really matter what the talking heads say. It's gotten to the point where it has just become noise. I will say, however, that it is kinda cool that Iowa is getting this much attention, good or bad. Basically Iowa and OSU are fighting for the same spot. If either one wins out, they are in the playoff despite all the haters screaming from the rooftops. Iowa isn't getting the respect because the team isn't loaded with blue-chip recruits, which in 'ESPN-speak' means they don't pass the 'eyeball test'.

------They also won the NC last year and brought back the majority of the team. I'm sure they get a bit of preferential treatment. Should they?

Of course they should...for the first 4-5 games of the season. But not now after seeing their body of work. On the flip side, pundits should be shutting the F up about who Iowa has played and beaten if they are going to be leaving OSU in the Top 4 after playing nobody thus far, and convincingly doing nothing. Iowa beat N' Western by 30 at their place....more impressive than anything OSU has done.

Undefeated national champ will almost always if not always get their shot to defend. Fair? I don't think so. That implies that previous seasons matter when they shouldn't but that's the way it is.

It's only a double standard on what University you come from.Some look at how we played in our bowl game last year so we can't be that good this year and some say Ohio St won it last year so they get a pass.Stanford #11 is a joke,Wis. and NW better than them.Pitt should be in top 25 also.All we can do is keep winning to upset their plans so they can't hand pick the teams.Go Hawks

In the immortal words of Rick Flair....."To be the man, you've got to BEAT the man!" (insert requisite "WOOOOOO").

It doesn't matter at this point because OSU is going to play #9 MSU, @ #12 Michigan and then current #5 Iowa in the B1G CG. Win those and they're in. Lose one of them, and they're most likely out....barring absolute carnage.

Joel Klatt of Fox Sports said that the committee is like Enron "cooking the books."
They are going to get the teams they want in there.
Bill King uses the word "notoriety".

The committee would love a Oklahoma, Alabama, Notre Dame and Ohio State will be the Final 4.

Joel Klatt of Fox Sports said that the committee is like Enron "cooking the books."

The committee would love a Oklahoma, Alabama, Notre Dame and Ohio State will be the Final 4.

That is where I am at. I don't even know if it is intentional really. For instance how many Hawk fans have been saying "Baylor is a fraud", and were like I told you they were when they got beaten by Oklahoma? That is what many around the country, ISU fans, and Big12 fans for sure will say if we lose to OSU or before then.

This is the inherent bias that the blue bloods have with this format of SELECTING teams.

I read thru this thread and not one person mentioned the fact that Alabama, with a loss to a mediocre Ol' Miss team, and Notre Lame, with a loss to Clemson, and IMO, no wins better than Iowa's over NW and Wisky, are in the top four. Ohio State is the undefeated defending national champ. They should be there. Clemson is undefeated with a couple of good wins. They deserve to be there. Alabama and Notre Dame? Not so much.

...I guarantee that if any of the current Top 4 happen to stumble, we will hear talk about how unfair it is to still have the likes of Iowa in the mix, and how we really need 8 teams in to be fair.
I will guarantee you that if Iowa were to win the whole enchilada there would be plenty of pundits crying for an 8 game playoff because their favorite once beaten (twice beaten?) team "would have knocked off Iowa only if they had the chance". This of course implies that whoever Iowa might beat for the championship wasn't worthy either but we won't hear that side of it. Ditto if Iowa advances and looses in a playoff game then it will even get more shrill and sustained. I really don't want to hear any of that for the entirety of the next off season. Hawks just need to keep winning.

I read thru this thread and not one person mentioned the fact that Alabama, with a loss to a mediocre Ol' Miss team, and Notre Lame, with a loss to Clemson, and IMO, no wins better than Iowa's over NW and Wisky, are in the top four. Ohio State is the undefeated defending national champ. They should be there. Clemson is undefeated with a couple of good wins. They deserve to be there. Alabama and Notre Dame? Not so much.

Alabama's loss is practically ignored because they've played well lately. Losing doesn't mean that much in this format.

Underdogs are fun in sports and people like that stuff. We could be the underdog that crashes the party and are talked about for years. Some one tell the committee that.

Latest posts