Don't see a Quincy game thread

I thought the newcomers looked really good, the starters definitely didn't start with a fire under their asses. Bowen looks like a turnover machine. Harding reminds me of Jeff Horner quite a bit and I wouldn't be surprised if he's the starting point guard as the season unfolds. Freeman is going to be a stud. Pryce was 4/4 on 3's. My opinion but the future looks pretty good with these young guys.

These are my observations:
Bowen is going to be the man at PG, I assumed as much even though we heard contrary reports all off season- I thought he looked very good on both offense and defense. He did turn the ball over three times and that is a concern, but IMO, played much stronger with the ball over all and I think he and TP make a very formidable backcourt for Iowa's starting line up

Patrick, looks to have really filled out. He looked less awkward then he has the previous 3 seasons and looks like he's less focused on scoring and more on rebounding and playing within the offense yet he was our leading scorer last night. He did not force that IMO, and played really well within the game.

Peyton Sandfort looked really really good, I mean, really good. He could lead the team in scoring this year. He can attack the basket as well as light it up from the outside.

Tony looked like Tony. I think he played a lot of last year hurt, he seemed to be pretty flexible last night and he seems primed to be a big time scorer this year.

Krikke looked "ok" - not bad, just not exactly what I was expecting out of him. If I were to guess, Dembele and Freeman push him and defintely play into spelling him for minutes.

You can tell that Dix was the one who has been pushing the most for minutes at either PG or SG. He looked pretty good and I think Fran might ride with him for shooting when Iowa needs that vs. what Bowen will bring. I think Bowen still has plenty of offense but I could see Dix being more of a scoring thrreat because of his outside shooting.

New Comers -

I like Harding a lot. He moves different - quick but under control. Great passer already, I think he will struggle with bigger guards this season and will need a year or even two to gain the strength needed to play at the B1G level. He will help this year though IMO

Owen Freeman looked like the most ready to play and contribute. He has a great burst to the basket and runs the floor really well.

Dembele also looked pretty good IMO. He doesn't have much of an offensive game, but he was strong with the ball when he had it and looks like he could be someone who can help on defense for this team. Offensive game was lacking, but he passed really well and wasn't really looking to score.

Little Sandfort looked like he can be some instant offense but he also doesn't look like he's quite ready or mature enough physically to play at the level they'll need him to be at. He could do some spot duty here and there and could come in for some instant offense but I don't think you'll see long periods of him in the game

Was disappointed that Brauns hardly played, I don't think we can count on him to contribute much if at all this season based on how last night went and the same for Riley Mulvey. I thought we might get something out of Riley and after last night, if he wasn't hurt, I don't think that can be a realistic expectation.

Other observations:
Iowa still struggled with perimeter D and that's always going to be a concern for Fran's teams as it clearly is not an area of focus. I thought it looked like Iowa was capable of being a good defensive team with their makeup but last night left some things to be desired there.

Iowa can flat out light it up on offense. This team will be again one of the top scoring offenses in the league. They will also get to the line exactly how other Fran teams have. Last night's FT shooting was poor. They can't expect to shoot like that and win games.

Overall I was impressed and I am still in line thinking this program can compete for the top half of the conference this season.

If I had to guess, the rotations will be very small - I think it will be 8 tops and those are

Bowen/Dix - not a split, more Bowen then Dix at 1, but I think Dix will play the 1 and 2.
TP
Krikke
Patrick
Pey Sandfort

Off the bench
Freeman
Dembele

Spot minutes
Harding
Pryce Sandfort

Bowen is going to be the man at PG, I assumed as much even though we heard contrary reports all off season- I thought he looked very good on both offense and defense. He did turn the ball over three times and that is a concern, but IMO, played much stronger with the ball over all and I think he and TP make a very formidable backcourt for Iowa's starting line up

Patrick, looks to have really filled out. He looked less awkward then he has the previous 3 seasons and looks like he's less focused on scoring and more on rebounding and playing within the offense yet he was our leading scorer last night. He did not force that IMO, and played really well within the game.

Peyton Sandfort looked really really good, I mean, really good. He could lead the team in scoring this year. He can attack the basket as well as light it up from the outside.

Tony looked like Tony. I think he played a lot of last year hurt, he seemed to be pretty flexible last night and he seems primed to be a big time scorer this year.

Krikke looked "ok" - not bad, just not exactly what I was expecting out of him. If I were to guess, Dembele and Freeman push him and defintely play into spelling him for minutes.

You can tell that Dix was the one who has been pushing the most for minutes at either PG or SG. He looked pretty good and I think Fran might ride with him for shooting when Iowa needs that vs. what Bowen will bring. I think Bowen still has plenty of offense but I could see Dix being more of a scoring thrreat because of his outside shooting.

New Comers -

I like Harding a lot. He moves different - quick but under control. Great passer already, I think he will struggle with bigger guards this season and will need a year or even two to gain the strength needed to play at the B1G level. He will help this year though IMO

Owen Freeman looked like the most ready to play and contribute. He has a great burst to the basket and runs the floor really well.

Dembele also looked pretty good IMO. He doesn't have much of an offensive game, but he was strong with the ball when he had it and looks like he could be someone who can help on defense for this team. Offensive game was lacking, but he passed really well and wasn't really looking to score.

Little Sandfort looked like he can be some instant offense but he also doesn't look like he's quite ready or mature enough physically to play at the level they'll need him to be at. He could do some spot duty here and there and could come in for some instant offense but I don't think you'll see long periods of him in the game

Was disappointed that Brauns hardly played, I don't think we can count on him to contribute much if at all this season based on how last night went and the same for Riley Mulvey. I thought we might get something out of Riley and after last night, if he wasn't hurt, I don't think that can be a realistic expectation.

Other observations:
Iowa still struggled with perimeter D and that's always going to be a concern for Fran's teams as it clearly is not an area of focus. I thought it looked like Iowa was capable of being a good defensive team with their makeup but last night left some things to be desired there.

Iowa can flat out light it up on offense. This team will be again one of the top scoring offenses in the league. They will also get to the line exactly how other Fran teams have. Last night's FT shooting was poor. They can't expect to shoot like that and win games.

Overall I was impressed and I am still in line thinking this program can compete for the top half of the conference this season.
GOOD stuff. Thanks for the details!

New Comers -

Other observations:

Gonna have to get used to Patrick's Buzzcut

Perkins looks good, more muscle and quick, but I cringe when he launches a three

Just watched about 10 minutes so far, but Krikke looked good to me

He is bigger than I thought, tough, and skillful with the ball, had a nice left-handed spin off the
backboard for a bucket plus, while heavily guarded

Think he is going to replace Fillip quite well

Peyton is going to be a beast this season, and Pryce is a threat from threeland, Dix is very quick,
intelligent and another threat with the three, that trio if on, we will be hard to contain

Freeman and Harding with experience will be factors, Ladji has potential and should help off the bench
with seasoning, he will help especially on D, and if he develops on offense, when he get FTs, looks like
he will make most of them

Yeah, we are going to be a high-scoring team again with an emphasis on offense

Really good analysis, very good

:cool:

Last edited:
If I had to guess, the rotations will be very small - I think it will be 8 tops and those are

Bowen/Dix - not a split, more Bowen then Dix at 1, but I think Dix will play the 1 and 2.
TP
Krikke
Patrick
Pey Sandfort

Off the bench
Freeman
Dembele

Spot minutes
Harding
Pryce Sandfort
Pryce could have quite a few games where he plays a lot of minutes because his shot is falling. Hopefully between the two Sandforts, one of them will always be making shots.

Just completed watching the first half

Bowen looks very good, cat-quick, and very good on D, quite active

We will pose a threat with the Sandforts and Dix on the floor, Patrick has a nice three

If they are on, we will be difficult to stop

Like what I see after the first game jitters went away

19-12(11-9)

Full disclosure, I didn’t watch the game and don’t really plan on going back to re-watch it. I’m just assessing things on what everyone else has said. I will get dialed in with the North Dakota game on November 7th.

Kakert’s 19-12(11-9) prediction feels about right to me, based on what I am reading/hearing so far.

19-12(11-9)

Full disclosure, I didn’t watch the game and don’t really plan on going back to re-watch it. I’m just assessing things on what everyone else has said. I will get dialed in with the North Dakota game on November 7th.

Kakert’s 19-12(11-9) prediction feels about right to me, based on what I am reading/hearing so far.
I've got them right there too, 19-12 or 20-11 and that would be firmly in the dance IMO.

New Comers -

Other observations:

Yes, FT shooting was noticeably bad and I expected anytime any player went to the line to only get .500. They certainly left a lot of pts at the line that game.

You can definitely notice the upgrade of overall team talent with some who were in during clean up duty at the end of the game. I think this might be a season/situation where I definitely could see an advantage of Fran going real deep with the team. Push the pace, play fast, sub players and rest players, and do again.

I liked the high post passing to Tony and other guards cutting to the bucket. Krikke looks like he can be a good post passer, something we haven't had from a five since.....Woodbury? Or Nunge when he was here and healthy?

Ball seemed to be moving well

Every year I have to really study the roster to familiarize myself with the team. I wonder if I'll get accustomed to it.

I usually do. :)

Latest posts