Don't look now, Top 25

good call...thank god for internet message boards though...this way everyone can have an opinion on things that arent even educated about....15 minutes out of nearly 20 some guys...what an idiot

Why watch when I am going to be disappointed 60% of the time?

I choose to do something more meaningful with my time than end up disappointed before bedtime.

I used to be.

Well, let me rephrase that... I was forced to defend him more than I would have like to when was at Iowa. He got a lot of crap from Iowa fans that I thought was unwarranted, so I supposed I would get pooled into the "Alford Apologist" group.

I wasn't opposed to the Alford hire. I was still ok with him as the coach the season after Bru and Horner. But towards the end of that year, the worm turned for me.

Pretty close the the same statement you'll make when Lickliter is fired I'm guessing.

Alford wanted to be here for a long time...I think he finally just got sick and tired of petty little Iowa fans who constantly felt the need to try and bring him down.

So why was he keeping his eye on the Indiana job every time it came open?

A weak non-conference schedule that includes wins over Cal (are they still rated? Pac 10 is terrible this year), Texas A&M (This is a good win, they are one of the better teams in the Big XII), Texas Tech (Wheels have fallen off, Ole little knight having troubles this year), and Creighton (Seriously Creighton? They are mid-MVC at best)? A Cal team that was ranked in the top 25 at the time and beat ISU by 20?

The Lobos should be in the tournament without winning their conference tournament. The MWC is not the world's greatest conference but let's stop acting like they cannot compete with the major conferences...there just isn't that much difference between "mid-majors" and power conferences in basketball anymore. It only takes a few good players to be good at basketball and he can pull some kids out of Texas and Southern California and should be given credit for his successes. If his NM team was in the Big Ten they'd be right up there with tOSU, Mich St and Purdue...they might finish 4th or 5th but they are certainly a tournament team and he is a good coach.

Let's not forget that he was considered a tournament coach in his first few years at Iowa...after his success at SWMS and his success in the Big 10 Tournament during his tenure at Iowa.

I am sorry the guy can not coach, you saw what happened against NW State a few years ago. he flat out had athletes and they did all the work. He stood back and watched the games and strutted around like he was the reason Iowa was so good. Personally the guy is horrible coach and I hope he stays where he is at forever. Dont like the guy one bit, but once Locksley gets things turned around, Alford will jump ship because we all know, "He doesn't want to coach at a all Football School" what a loser

Why watch when I am going to be disappointed 60% of the time?

I choose to do something more meaningful with my time than end up disappointed before bedtime.

LOL...definition of fairweather. Wow I really can't believe it coming from you. In fact....I don't.
________
Maurizz

Last edited:
The MWC is not the B10.

But they may be soon.

The MWC is very close to the Big Ten Conference in the Conference RPI ratings.

Also, Utah, which is a very mediocre 3-3 in the MWC and 10-10 overall, beat two Big Ten teams this year - Illinois and Michigan.

Furthermore, the Big Ten has 4 teams ranked in the Top 50 RPI. Guess what? So does the MWC.

New Mexico is at # 13 in the RPI, higher ranked than Michigan State (# 15) and Ohio State (#45).

I'd say Alford is doing a better job of coaching than Lickliter is, and the MWC is not a push-over conference, as the evidenced by the facts presented above.

Look it up and learn something new.

College Basketball - Rankings - Rivals.com

GlidingHawk

I am sorry the guy can not coach, you saw what happened against NW State a few years ago. he flat out had athletes and they did all the work. He stood back and watched the games and strutted around like he was the reason Iowa was so good. Personally the guy is horrible coach and I hope he stays where he is at forever. Dont like the guy one bit, but once Locksley gets things turned around, Alford will jump ship because we all know, "He doesn't want to coach at a all Football School" what a loser

Dumbest post I've ever read
________
How to roll blunts

Last edited:
I think some Iowa fans should've headed to New Mexico with Wonder Boy.

He gets no credit from me for what he's doing somewhere else and he sure as hell isn't getting any credit from me for what he did while he was here...I take that back...fantastic job on getting out of town ahead of the posse coach!

After nearly three years, the only thing that matters about Steve Alford's time at Iowa was that he left the Hawkeye basketball program in worse shape than he found it. There was a considerable increase in the number of Iowa sports fans who cared less about the Hawkeye basketball program than they did prior to the Alford era.

Unfortunately, the Hawkeye program under Todd Lickliter is currently in worse shape than he found it in three years ago (and the number of people caring less about the program has continued to grow).

Since Alford left the same time Lick came aboard, which team is the better team after year three? Look what NM's record was prior to Alford getting there. Look, Alford is not a bad coach he was an arrogant pr**k. That's what people hate him for and try and couple it with his coaching ability and that his team didn't play hard. I'm almost of sick of hearing how bad a coach he was and then reading about giving Lick a lifetime contract because his players try hard.

The true test of a mans character is how he responds to trying times. When times were good, Alford could fist pump with the best of them, but as soon as things turned and times got tough, he grabbed his ball and ran and through stones on the way.

I am glad that he has been able to succeed at lower levels and more power to him if he goes back up to the big leagues and performs, but in no way would I ever want him to coach Iowa again and I don't miss him even for a second.

I used to be.

Well, let me rephrase that... I was forced to defend him more than I would have like to when was at Iowa. He got a lot of crap from Iowa fans that I thought was unwarranted, so I supposed I would get pooled into the "Alford Apologist" group.

I wasn't opposed to the Alford hire. I was still ok with him as the coach the season after Bru and Horner. But towards the end of that year, the worm turned for me.

That was the same for me. I defended him right up until the last game of that year. After that, I saw how wrong I'd been and wanted him gone.

I don't miss Alford either. Granted comparing his coaching ability with his character, class, support for the University and community are different, but I don't think he was that great of a coach either. Some of his players gave it all, all of the time (Bruner 150% for 40 minutes), but others were just flat lazy. But that is probably true with any coach and any program. However, in terms of x's and o's, he got outcoached many nights and his teams with better talent got beat by teams with lesser talent. Much like Lickliter's teams are doing right now. Iowa doesn't have anything close to the talent that OSU or MSU has (at least not yet), and even though they lost, they had a chance. Certainly some of the credit has to go to Lick's coaching ability. He is making respectable ball players out of these guys. Add to that that he is a classy guy and seems to truly love being at Iowa, I would take him any day. Give him the time to complete his turnover project without inheriting much talent to work with, and Iowa basketball will be just fine.

Comparing the program from when Alford left to the present, I think it's obvious we are in worse shape now. I think it's hilarious that people still act like TL came into the program with it in shambles. Hell, Lick at least inherited some talent, and got most of Alford's recruiting class signed. Unlike Alford, wo came in after a lame duck coaching season.

I would also guess most of you who are calling Alford arrogant never actually met the guy. I would always hear how he "threw his players under the bus". Well, I hear the same type of stuff from Lick in his post game interviews. Funny how no one likes to bring that up. I met Alford many times, and he would always take time to talk to both me and my daughter when she was with me.

Ultimately, I thought it was the best thing when Alford bolted to NM. It was time for change for both him and the program. Unfortunately, we didn't get the "change" we were hoping for. We got boring basketball and horrible results. Hopefully that will change on both accounts someday.

When Alford was undefeated at home, which meant he beat every big ten team, the players did it and coaching was not a factor. Every loss was a coaching factor and the players had nothing to do with it. I get it!

Comparing the program from when Alford left to the present, I think it's obvious we are in worse shape now. I think it's hilarious that people still act like TL came into the program with it in shambles. Hell, Lick at least inherited some talent, and got most of Alford's recruiting class signed. Unlike Alford, wo came in after a lame duck coaching season.

I would also guess most of you who are calling Alford arrogant never actually met the guy. I would always hear how he "threw his players under the bus". Well, I hear the same type of stuff from Lick in his post game interviews. Funny how no one likes to bring that up. I met Alford many times, and he would always take time to talk to both me and my daughter when she was with me.

Ultimately, I thought it was the best thing when Alford bolted to NM. It was time for change for both him and the program. Unfortunately, we didn't get the "change" we were hoping for. We got boring basketball and horrible results. Hopefully that will change on both accounts someday.

Don't even bother to try to defend SA on Iowa message boards...there is no rationality to any discussion of him among his detractors. They say he is a horrible coach, yet he has the most victories of any head coach at his age...facts like that are inconvenient for his detractors. Hate him all you want,but he wins bb games. He has the NM program close to a historic level for them, with a renovated arena, fanbase on fire,and great recruits in the pipeline, yet folks on here will deny it to the end. I never loved the guy but I have never ''loved'' any Iowa bb coach cept for Ralph Miller,maybe:), but have never invested emotion in the guy in the suit on the sideline, only the players on the floor. Personally, from a distance,I find Lick's quircky personality to be more off-putting that SA ever was, but I could care less in the big scheme of things..if Lick was winning even as much as SA did in his first three years, I would be fine...just win,coach.

Pretty true JH. Now it's history and we do need to move on. I was convinced he'd be a successful coach when he left here. He was just starting to get it but burned every bridge in the state of Iowa. Some of it he definitely brought on and most he just gets credit for!!

Alford had some bad years here with a few good moments too. That said, he was about to turn our program to a winning one when he was forced out. Iowa was on the cusp of securing some major talent that year along with some nice talent that we had in place. No one can really deny that. Lickliter came in and the talent scattered like oil to water. I wonder if Tyler Smith would have had a different fate if he had stayed at Iowa?

Latest posts