Dont lay all this "hell" on the PG

I would agree with you. I always thought Tom Davis was great at adapting to the talent he had to work with.

Ya, he'd run the court and press. If that didn't work he'd feed into the post with a bounce pass on the baseline. And if that didn't work he'd press. If that then didn't work he'd feed into the post along the baseline.

If that didn't work he'd feed into the post with a bounce pass on the baseline. And if that didn't work he'd press. If that then didn't work he'd feed into the post along the baseline.
If that didn't work he'd feed into the post with a bounce pass on the baseline. And if that didn't work he'd press. If that then didn't work he'd feed into the post along the baseline.

PG and athleticism is what every team needs. Iowa is 0 for 2 in that department. Slow, and out of position on defense, and I usually see 1-2 guys rebounding on both ends. What I saw last night was a good effort to get back in the game, but a sustainable effort needs to go all game long. Don't ever have Uhl on the floor. He's not in the game. We just don't have the athletes. Fran needs to do a better job imo

Sure we don't have a good athletic PG. Bohanon is a great shooter but not a point guard that can penetrate and make things happen. Clearly we have big deficiencies at all positions when it comes to athletic ability, but the biggest deficiency starts with the head coach.
For you younger posters out there I would like you to look up the tenure of Ralph Miller at Iowa. In the mid 60s he had a team of very limited talent and a 6'3" forward by the name of Sam Williams. The guy led the Big Ten in scoring and I think rebounding and we tied Ohio State for the championship scoring about 65 points a game! In 69-70 (my freshman year at Iowa for those of you wondering how old I am) we had a 6 man team with John Johnson Fred Brown Chad Calabria Glen Vidnovic and went 14-0 in the Big Ten averaging over 100 points per game! If Jacksonville wouldn't have tipped in a 60 foot shot at the buzzer we might have won it all

My point is Miller coached to the talent and makeup of his team. He won going slowdown and he won going fast (and that was before the 3 point shot!) McCaffrey I thought was a run and gun coach but he hasn't recruited to that style and hasn't shown the ability to adjust to what talent he has.

That team had a nickname due to the lack of players. I can't remember what it was, do you?

Sure we don't have a good athletic PG. Bohanon is a great shooter but not a point guard that can penetrate and make things happen. Clearly we have big deficiencies at all positions when it comes to athletic ability, but the biggest deficiency starts with the head coach.
For you younger posters out there I would like you to look up the tenure of Ralph Miller at Iowa. In the mid 60s he had a team of very limited talent and a 6'3" forward by the name of Sam Williams. The guy led the Big Ten in scoring and I think rebounding and we tied Ohio State for the championship scoring about 65 points a game! In 69-70 (my freshman year at Iowa for those of you wondering how old I am) we had a 6 man team with John Johnson Fred Brown Chad Calabria Glen Vidnovic and went 14-0 in the Big Ten averaging over 100 points per game! If Jacksonville wouldn't have tipped in a 60 foot shot at the buzzer we might have won it all

My point is Miller coached to the talent and makeup of his team. He won going slowdown and he won going fast (and that was before the 3 point shot!) McCaffrey I thought was a run and gun coach but he hasn't recruited to that style and hasn't shown the ability to adjust to what talent he has.
It’s not strictly Bohannon’s talent (which I will say is totally one dimensional), it’s that he’s not mentally tough at all.

You want to see toughness watch Baer and Kriener play ball. The more pressure they’re under the better they play. Those two rise up. Ellingson showed some flashes of it too the other night.

If you want to see a spoiled little baby who gets lazy and mails it in when things go sideways, look no further than Bohannon.

Ralph Miller's first season at Iowa was 1964-65. Largely used the roster in place. For the most part went 7 deep per game. George Peeples was center (6-7). Shooting guard, although not called that in 1964-65, was Chris Pervall (6-2) who transferred in from Coffeville, KS JC. I was a Senior, and we sat beside each other in Cost Accounting and became friends. Best memory was driving over to Chicago for a Friday, January 29, 1965 game with UCLA. A John Wooden coached team. The Hawkeyes won 87-82. Chris ate up Gail Goodrich who was a star player for UCLA. That was 1 of 2 UCLA losses for the season. UCLA went on to win NCAA tournament beating Michigan in the final game. Iowa ended the season 14-10 (8-6 Big Ten). The UCLA game was unforgettable.

You are correct that Miller adapted to the roster he had and was masterful at coaching them up. Through the years, I have long believed that a public High School coach is the best springboard for college coaching at venues that do hot have marquee names like UCLA, Duke, et al. They have to adapt to the players they have and play the game accordingly. That causes me to think about Jeff Horner (age 34) and son of a coach. Great career at Iowa--4 seasons as a High School coach of a winning program at Des Moines Valley and now an assistant coach at University of North Dakota.

As much as it sucks, we have to slow down. We could actually be an average team is we did. This team trying to run is embarrassing.

Not so sure. What did we do early in the second half to come back? Oh, yeah. We ran and got open looks ... and hit the shots. When we slowed down too much, we got our shots either blocked or contested. Again, we shot horribly on layups.... LAYUPS. Yeah, the layups were contested but we simply missed too many.

Not so sure. What did we do early in the second half to come back? Oh, yeah. We ran and got open looks ... and hit the shots. When we slowed down too much, we got our shots either blocked or contested. Again, we shot horribly on layups.... LAYUPS. Yeah, the layups were contested but we simply missed too many.

While the comeback run was pretty exciting and no turnovers triggered it, you'd be remiss to add that Indiana helped by missing 9 straight, mostly open, jump shots during our run too. Sometimes the other teams weaknesses mask the fact that Iowa isn't really playing good defense, and that's kind of what happened there. Taking advantage of their misses was a pleasant surprise.

It’s not strictly Bohannon’s talent (which I will say is totally one dimensional), it’s that he’s not mentally tough at all.

You want to see toughness watch Baer and Kriener play ball. The more pressure they’re under the better they play. Those two rise up. Ellingson showed some flashes of it too the other night.

If you want to see a spoiled little baby who gets lazy and mails it in when things go sideways, look no further than Bohannon.

Gotta agree with your last part.

R U serious? Did you forget Wisky? The only problem is that he's being asked to do something he doesn't have the skill set to do. That would be difficult on anyone.

It's not being laid on the point guard (JBo is a solid player), it's being laid on the coach for not understanding the import of the point guard (and ball handling guards in general) in the college game.

Except it is nearly all on the PG position. Fran recruited a ton of shooters. Tall lanky shooters. The problem is...shooters aren't worth a crap if they can't get open. Since our shooters can't get themselves open its the PG's job to get the shooters open.

Latest posts