Donahue still in the hunt at punter for Lions

FabFew

Donahue, an undrafted free agent out of Iowa, and incumbent Nick Harris are vying in one of what coach Jim Schwartz said are "a handful" of position battles that won't be decided until after Thursday's exhibition finale against the Bills.
Teams have to trim their 80-man rosters to 53 by Saturday.
"Going down to the wire," Schwartz said. "Both of those guys have punted very, very well.
"We've been alternating a lot of different ways, and we chart just about every single punt that those guys do -- and holds also (are) important. When you're a punter, you're also a holder, so those will all be important factors in the decision."
Donahue and Harris have similar punting stats through three weeks of the preseason. Donahue is averaging 44.1 yards per punt to Harris' 43.2. Both players have dropped two punts inside the 20, and Harris' 35-yard net average is a tick better than Donahue's 34.
Donahue and Harris have alternated first-string holding duties, with Donahue holding for Hanson against the Patriots and working first in the rotation in practice Tuesday. Harris held for Dave Rayner against New England -- Rayner was released Monday -- but held for Hanson in the first two exhibitions and for the last 7 1/2 seasons of his career.
"I'm expecting to go out and do well in Buffalo, if I'm given the opportunity," Donahue said. "And from there, it's out of my hands. I just have to prove to the organization and the club what I can do to help the team win."