Dolphin

I like him better on football broadcast than basketball. I would actually like them to have a separate guy for basketball. I don't know why but he just seems harder to follow or listen too on the bball broadcast.

He's not very good at either but he definitely struggles at calling a basketball game. The game just moves too fast for him. And like someone mentioned before he will try to analyze a play instead of just calling the game. Leave the analyzing to Eddie & Bobby.

He's not a good play by play guy, period. He's mediocre at football and awful at hoops. You can find better calls on local high school games. It's all part of the "good enough" culture at the University of Iowa.

I love Eddie and Bobby by the way.

Dolphin gets paid to be a cheerleader for Iowa and he does that extremely well. I don't have a problem with him doing that because it is what it is. If he started talking negatively about Iowa to fans he'd be fired. You just have to remember what his position is and take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Dolphin gets paid to be a cheerleader for Iowa and he does that extremely well. I don't have a problem with him doing that because it is what it is. If he started talking negatively about Iowa to fans he'd be fired. You just have to remember what his position is and take everything he says with a grain of salt.

This post has unparalleled perspective relative to all other posts in this thread (except for my own, of course).

What was Gary supposed to do, agree with the caller that things aren't great at Iowa?
He is the voice and a face of the University. Part of his job is to be very pro-Iowa.

What sort of outrage would there be if he were to, even occasionally, make negative remarks about the program(s) that he announces for?

I know Gary Dolphin. Hes as big an Iowa fan as any of us and has been his entire life. Grew up in Cascade and lives in Dubuque. He has the same gripes/complaints that we do, he just cant come out and say the things fans do on the air. Im sure he would like to keep receiving his paycheck

I like Dolph. At least he know the names of our players. Plus he has Ed & Bobby to real him in on X&0 stuff

Do you know Iowa actually has a better radio guy but he isn't getting on the radio due to kf

I like Eddie and Bobby. Have grown very tired of Dolph and the 'old buddy boy' type junk.

I need someone edgy. I kind of like that Brett Balbinot that does women's b-ball.

I wish Dolphin would concentrate on play by play and let the analysts (Eddie or Bobby) analyze. Dolphin spends too many times trying to make a point about the previous play instead of telling the audience what is happening. It's frustrating when you have to listen to a game instead of watching it.

Dolphin is showing early signs of dementia. He gets play by play screwed up a lot..confuses teams, players, forgets things, kind of loses track and focus. Hope he's ok.

Dolph does a lot of stuff for Iowa that not everyone sees. He is a MC on half the I club circuit plus he show up at a lot of celebrity charity events that former players put on. I know not a bad gig if you can get it

Dolph is a on the payroll as a paid cheerleader when he's not calling games. That's what he does. Who do you think writes his checks? So you can not like it be jealous of it whatever. But him saying that doesn't surprise me. I don't agree with it and I bet the powers that be that are his bosses didn't either... It was as candid knee jerk answer to a caller as you'll ever see him have and I bet you won't hear him say it again. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he's told to apologize for it...