Does Tressel realize he's no longer the tOSU coach?

Thanks for the perspective, fred. I've always said that I would be thrilled with an Iowa national title and successive B10 titles even if they are dirty because that great feeling when your team goes 9-0 (that's the best we've ever been so I couldn't tell you how great it would feel to go 10-0 because Stanzi could never beat Northwestern, but you guys got to that point many times under Tressel) makes watching the games awesome. As a lifelong pessimistic Hawks fan, I always expect the Hawks to choke in a big game like they did in C-bus back in '85, but if for just one season they had studs like OSU had all those years and didn't choke it would be great. The fans around the B10 may give you heat, but in reality we are just jealous because you guys have won so much hardware. Sure, they can take the trophies out of the trophy case or whatever, but they can't take away the enjoyment of the trophy presentation and chirping at dejected Michigan fans on those late November Saturdays that make B10 football so awesome. Viva la Tress!

The 9-0 start and not reaching 10-0 had nothing to do with Rick's inability to beat Northwestern that year. If you remember, Iowa was up 10-0 in the 2nd quarter when Rick was injured and replaced by an all too ineffective JVB that day. Being at that game, it was obvious before Rick got hurt that Iowa was the better team. I know he lost other times to Northwestern but this day was not on him.

What are you hearing around town OK4P - does Fitz really have the inside track on replacing Tress?

I shudder to think of what would happen if Fitz had OSU's talent. Given that he turned down the Michigan job and extracted a raise and that he really seems to love NU, I hope he stays there. If the guy ends up at PSU or OSU the rest of the conference is doomed.

The 9-0 start and not reaching 10-0 had nothing to do with Rick's inability to beat Northwestern that year. If you remember, Iowa was up 10-0 in the 2nd quarter when Rick was injured and replaced by an all too ineffective JVB that day. Being at that game, it was obvious before Rick got hurt that Iowa was the better team. I know he lost other times to Northwestern but this day was not on him.

The fairly bogus call on the Wegher TD run was pretty bad, too. But as I recall, NU had QB issues that day as well, so the QB issues hurt both teams, it's just that NU had more studs who made plays that day.

The fairly bogus call on the Wegher TD run was pretty bad, too. But as I recall, NU had QB issues that day as well, so the QB issues hurt both teams, it's just that NU had more studs who made plays that day.

Including hidden grabs of the QB's facemask. Call needed to be made; fumble and TD never should have been allowed. Does Jim Bain do football? :mad:

Fufred, would you say that a huge element of the fan base would still call Tressel one of the best ever even if OSU received the death penalty? I find that hard to believe. They can't be that blind, or could they?

Fufred, would you say that a huge element of the fan base would still call Tressel one of the best ever even if OSU received the death penalty? I find that hard to believe. They can't be that blind, or could they?

Would not happen in a million years. If it did happen, Fox would want out of the BTN contract and the conference, at least with respect to FB, would be forced into leaving the NCAA. A few programs have that level of pull and OSU is one of them. We need their eyeballs and huge stadium to support the conference and the NCAA wouldn't want to lose one of its huge contributors, especially over some cars and tats.

I'm with OK4P on this one... whose to say that there aren't players on every team that if there was a compliance official only handling the football team would be ruled ineligible?

Fact: all of these kids got into school with BS academic requirements anyway... even if they could get into the school with the standard admission requirements, they don't have to. If they didn't play football I would wager the majority of the kids on every BCS team wouldn't be admitted to the school.

OSU's mercenaries beat our mercenaries, and everyone else's, and I don't believe for one second that they only reason they even went there in the first place was because there was the potential for a car. They went there to win, and play in front of 110,000 people.

I would guess, but OSU getting the death penalty is about as unrealistic as it gets. Since the SI article was kinda overblown OSU still isn't even staring at a LOIC charge.

Last edited:
OSU's mercenaries beat our mercenaries, and everyone else's, and I don't believe for one second that they only reason they even went there in the first place was because there was the potential for a car. They went there to win, and play in front of 110,000 people.

This says it for me. It is naive to think these types of incidents aren't occuring at all major (or at least successful) Div. 1 Schools.

Latest posts