Does the media ever ask

NCHawker

Fran do you think you have an emotional problem? or Asking Barta the question - or asking the question in articles for crying out loud.

Obvious to this casual observer that Fran has some personal issues due to his explosive temper. He acts like a 9 year old out there.

Everyone around Iowa seems to think this is fine.

Shocking.

I'm not talking about 1 game here- long term trends.

Fran do you think you have an emotional problem? or Asking Barta the question - or asking the question in articles for crying out loud.

Obvious to this casual observer that Fran has some personal issues due to his explosive temper. He acts like a 9 year old out there.

Shocking.

Fran doesn't think he has an issue. He's fighting for his guys. Link below for his reaction in the post game.

I wish he could show the composure on the court that he does off of it.

I totally understand the mindset of taking a T for strategic purposes, however I'll never understand why his mindset is that he'd "fight for his guys" yet refuses to call time outs to help those very same guys mentally regroup to stop a run.

you guys are locking into yesterday. This is long term. Its more exceptional when he does not blow up than when he does.

The answer is no unless something totally goes off rail. I think you knew that and just making a point. None of us get through life unscathed and have "issues". Some get help earlier than others and of course the severity varies by people. It ranges from just living life and bad things happening to abuse. In there somewhere is mental illness.

For a surprising number of people these issues don't show up until their 50s.

With Fran, there were signs, but in hiring, results are king. I thought he'd behave himself better once his kids came in the mix. People with problems (most of us) are oft the last to recognize we have issues. So your question is a rhetorical question.

Yes, Fran has issues and they were bound to come out under severe stress. He is under severe stress. He looks like a guy under severe stress.

He has a problem with no quick fix. No fix for this year. Next year difficult.

My guess is there is more to the story about his son having the surgery at this point. Looks like a baseball career to me. However, his son playing basketball or not, isn't going to fix this.

He has a very interesting quandary. Almost 60. He's seeing his "chance" slip away in a very public way. He is set for life compared to most of us.

He hasn't shown a lot of ability to handle stress very well and fix his weaknesses in handling stress.

Good chance this doesn't end well. He doesn't look like he's having fun.

I'm not a therapist, but what is known about him (what we've seen), I'd guess he's a pretty good guy with something like PTSD that comes out when threatened.

It's all conjecture and we are are wondering. I hope he's able to overcome this on a personal level. Continuing isn't likely to be positive for Iowa basketball.

If I had to guess, he let his parenting get in the way of recruiting. CM is not a point guard at the P5 level. Not at the D 1 lower level either. He has who he really wanted and it's not gong to work.

Most of us would not handle this kind of stress well in a public setting. What most go through behind closed doors is quite public.

I wish he could show the composure on the court that he does off of it.

I totally understand the mindset of taking a T for strategic purposes, however I'll never understand why his mindset is that he'd "fight for his guys" yet refuses to call time outs to help those very same guys mentally regroup to stop a run.

I agree on the use of timeouts being something that Fran seems to struggle with. My impression is some coaches think they have their team prepared going into the game, so let them play through the bumps in the road. It's arrogance at some level, which all coaches have. Fran needs someone on his staff that will say 'We need a timeout'.

you guys are locking into yesterday. This is long term. Its more exceptional when he does not blow up than when he does.

Fran does blow up, but this is his first ejection in 4 years. Not an excuse, just documenting it. He still gets into it with officials at weird times (like with 45 seconds to go vs Michigan when the game was decided).

My thing is, when he's winning - it's "look how fierce Fran is... he's so dialed in, no stone left un-turned, how great" ...when he's losing he's a lunatic that is unhinged.

IMO - he's the same coach every year, winning or losing, it just looks different when things are like this. Both instances are bad looks imo, just that I don't see why we didn't have this topic after every game in 2015 and 2016, cause he wasn't acting any different.

How many of us loved when he threw the chair down 30 to MSU in his 2nd or 3rd season? It's easy to say you didn't now, but we all know most of us liked it when it happened back then.

Fran is who he is. What I don't get is, this team doesn't seem to respond to that type of fire. When he lights them up or the refs - they sometimes play worse this season, so what's the use?

My thing is, when he's winning - it's "look how fierce Fran is... he's so dialed in, no stone left un-turned, how great" ...when he's losing he's a lunatic that is unhinged.

IMO - he's the same coach every year, winning or losing, it just looks different when things are like this. Both instances are bad looks imo, just that I don't see why we didn't have this topic after every game in 2015 and 2016, cause he wasn't acting any different.

How many of us loved when he threw the chair down 30 to MSU in his 2nd or 3rd season? It's easy to say you didn't now, but we all know most of us liked it when it happened back then.

Fran is who he is. What I don't get is, this team doesn't seem to respond to that type of fire. When he lights them up or the refs - they sometimes play worse this season, so what's the use?

A number of us have never liked the behavior. I agree he hasn't changed, but the circumstances have. He actually the past several years since his "warning" has been better which also happened as the team was playing better.

A number of us have never liked the behavior. I agree he hasn't changed, but the circumstances have. He actually the past several years since his "warning" has been better which also happened as the team was playing better.

I've never cared for it either - it just didn't bother me that much when he was winning and turning things around, and it doesn't really bother me now. The losing does

Have none of you thrown a controller when playing video games? Fans are way worse then coaches when it comes to composure. Win lose or draw it's not nearly the big deal that some like to think it is. Now that we are a generation past the Bobby Knight years where more coaches would be more inclined to let refs and players get an earful this just stands out more.
Coaching has evolved to where the snowflake kids can't hardly take it. Not to mention refs. It's just funny to me how players in all sports want to be able to 'express themselves' after they make a big play and celebrate and all that nonsense. But don't dare coach me hard so I can play better.
Had anyone brought up how lucky we were that after that MD player stood over Cook that there wasn't a fight? Because that guy was pretty much asking for one and it's a good thing cooler heads prevailed.

Have none of you thrown a controller when playing video games? Fans are way worse then coaches when it comes to composure. Win lose or draw it's not nearly the big deal that some like to think it is. Now that we are a generation past the Bobby Knight years where more coaches would be more inclined to let refs and players get an earful this just stands out more.
Coaching has evolved to where the snowflake kids can't hardly take it. Not to mention refs. It's just funny to me how players in all sports want to be able to 'express themselves' after they make a big play and celebrate and all that nonsense. But don't dare coach me hard so I can play better.
Had anyone brought up how lucky we were that after that MD player stood over Cook that there wasn't a fight? Because that guy was pretty much asking for one and it's a good thing cooler heads prevailed.

This is just so wrong on so many points. The guy is paid millions. He is set. He accepted being a role model.

The snowflake comment is ridiculous. This is the generation that is fighting all over the globe.

Bobby Knight days are long gone and rightfully so.

Damn kids that couldn't take joking around at PSU. Look how that hurt the Big.

You are an ass.

He's a big baby who is a poor sport and doesn't like to lose, IMO that sounds like the coach so many of you want to coach other sports here at Iowa.

Shocking.

At least it is entertaining to watch, Iowa basketball not so much!

I watch Fran go nuts, get T'd up, and wonder - what was the point of that? I understand getting upset over blown calls, and making your point to the refs, but he's been around long enough to know where the line is drawn. It just costs your team, I'm not a big believer that getting T'd up is a way to motivate your players. If they don't think the coach has their back or that he's not fighting for them before he gets the technical, how is getting a technical any sudden verification that he does? It's just a cliche for an announcer to say that, like clockwork they'll regurgitate that line, but I don't see the direct link to a coach getting a technical and the play immediately improving, despite what we're told that is why it happened.

BTW - Does Fran get a cut in his paycheck this month since he didn't coach a full game last night?

This is just so wrong on so many points. The guy is paid millions. He is set. He accepted being a role model.

The snowflake comment is ridiculous. This is the generation that is fighting all over the globe.

Bobby Knight days are long gone and rightfully so.

Damn kids that couldn't take joking around at PSU. Look how that hurt the Big.

You are an ass.
I'm not sure if your serious or not but I'll respond.

How does salary matter? D1 coaches were paid a ton compared to the rest of society in the 80s and 90s too. Yet the players that played in that era all came out just fine. Well besides Damon Bailey he may have been a snowflake before his time

Speaking of snowflakes, Of course there are plenty of younger adults fighting now. Just like previous generations that's true. However now more so than ever there are a lot of kids hiding in their parents basements in their early 30s playing video games because they have a college degree they can't use because it doesn't translate into getting a job and complain about life not being 'fair' A mindset perpetuated by their upbringing be it parents, teachers, coaches etc. Everyone gets a trophy just for putting the uniform on. That is what I'm talking about. You don't just get a good paying job you want to do because you graduated from college with a basket weaving degree.

Your last comment are you talking about the Sandusky deal or some other hazing deal that happened more recently? I don't see how either would correlate to what we're talking about here either...

I'm not sure if your serious or not but I'll respond.

How does salary matter? D1 coaches were paid a ton compared to the rest of society in the 80s and 90s too. Yet the players that played in that era all came out just fine. Well besides Damon Bailey he may have been a snowflake before his time

Speaking of snowflakes, Of course there are plenty of younger adults fighting now. Just like previous generations that's true. However now more so than ever there are a lot of kids hiding in their parents basements in their early 30s playing video games because they have a college degree they can't use because it doesn't translate into getting a job and complain about life not being 'fair' A mindset perpetuated by their upbringing be it parents, teachers, coaches etc. Everyone gets a trophy just for putting the uniform on. That is what I'm talking about. You don't just get a good paying job you want to do because you graduated from college with a basket weaving degree.

Your last comment are you talking about the Sandusky deal or some other hazing deal that happened more recently? I don't see how either would correlate to what we're talking about here either...

1. I am the dad of the "snow flake" generation or as you called it. I have a son about to be deployed and a son in law who just got back.

2. Salary has little to do with it, but you'd think a coach could be grown up since he's set in life.

3. Bobby Knight created his own situation. The guy was abusive. There is a difference between pushing for results and abuse. Where is that line drawn? PSU? IU? Baylor? MN?

The younger generation was led to degrees by parents. It is not easy for younger crowds today, but not a lot different than the early/mid 80s.

Having played sports and having kids who played high school against some of the best in the nation including a current Big Leader and several starters, they are so much above where previous generations where on conditioning and game intelligence. I just don't see it.

It's not accurate to blame Fran's issues on the players. This team has fought hard in the past. Iowa doesn't have snowflake players as much as a flake coach.

In defense of Fran, we all have issues. We really do. His plays out in front of everyone and he hasn't dealt well with them personally or professionally, the latter meaning NO POINT GUARD and his son isn't going to fix that.

Fran is a jackass, pure and simple. He's not a tough guy. He's not a "fighter". He's someone who obviously has zero control over his temper....nor has shown much desire to want to do it.

As a result for "fighting for his team", he has alienated the entire crew of referee's that ref B1G games...resulting in Iowa NEVER getting the benefit of calls, guys like TC getting a T for no reason after being taunted and stood over, etc, etc. It's because of Fran's lack of self control, that we are blackballed the way we are. It's not a conspiracy per se...it's human nature wanting to put it to someone who is a freaking rage monster on the sidelines, who calls you every vile name known to mankind, and that looks like he's literally going to murder someone some game.

I honestly think the best thing that could happen to us is for Fran to go all Woody Hayes and punch out Borowski, or Sanzere, or Edds....and then we can dump him for cause and move on.

Team spirally out of control...

Coach is a head case/psycho

Team has ho PG

Players don't understand fundamentals or show interest in them

Players have length but are mudders...have the slows

Players put out effort when they are in the mood.

Why do we even need to discuss this dumpster fire?

CW...good move, rat jumping early

Latest posts