Does the media ever ask

1. I am the dad of the "snow flake" generation or as you called it. I have a son about to be deployed and a son in law who just got back.

2. Salary has little to do with it, but you'd think a coach could be grown up since he's set in life.

3. Bobby Knight created his own situation. The guy was abusive. There is a difference between pushing for results and abuse. Where is that line drawn? PSU? IU? Baylor? MN?

The younger generation was led to degrees by parents. It is not easy for younger crowds today, but not a lot different than the early/mid 80s.

Having played sports and having kids who played high school against some of the best in the nation including a current Big Leader and several starters, they are so much above where previous generations where on conditioning and game intelligence. I just don't see it.

It's not accurate to blame Fran's issues on the players. This team has fought hard in the past. Iowa doesn't have snowflake players as much as a flake coach.

In defense of Fran, we all have issues. We really do. His plays out in front of everyone and he hasn't dealt well with them personally or professionally, the latter meaning NO POINT GUARD and his son isn't going to fix that.
1. Good for you for having good kids. Not relevant to the convo.

2. Trump is a billionaire and how does he behave/act? Money doesn't matter at all.

3. How many kids complained about Knight to the degree your talking about? 2? Out of how many did he coach over the years? Most of his former kids revere him from what I've heard. I'm sure KF has kids that aren't his biggest fans either (DJK for one) but if your going to coach hundreds and hundreds of kids with different personalities you'll NEVER make everyone happy and some will feel scorned/screwed over. Not everyone can start/play a lot/live up to expectations. It's also called life

I'm not sure where your going with the rest of your rant. I'd say the younger generation now has it way easier in most ways. Which is fine if they'd be taught to just realize that. A lot of them now (not all) think they are owed a cell phone at 12 a car at 16 college paid for and a 100k a yr job at 22 with having no experience at anything.

I don't think Frans kids now are snowflakes either. They know ahead of time what they are getting into playing for him I would think. Players today do more homework on where they are going/who they are playing for more than ever. If they don't that'd surprise me.

1. Good for you for having good kids. Not relevant to the convo.

2. Trump is a billionaire and how does he behave/act? Money doesn't matter at all.

3. How many kids complained about Knight to the degree your talking about? 2? Out of how many did he coach over the years? Most of his former kids revere him from what I've heard. I'm sure KF has kids that aren't his biggest fans either (DJK for one) but if your going to coach hundreds and hundreds of kids with different personalities you'll NEVER make everyone happy and some will feel scorned/screwed over. Not everyone can start/play a lot/live up to expectations. It's also called life

I'm not sure where your going with the rest of your rant. I'd say the younger generation now has it way easier in most ways. Which is fine if they'd be taught to just realize that. A lot of them now (not all) think they are owed a cell phone at 12 a car at 16 college paid for and a 100k a yr job at 22 with having no experience at anything.

I don't think Frans kids now are snowflakes either. They know ahead of time what they are getting into playing for him I would think. Players today do more homework on where they are going/who they are playing for more than ever. If they don't that'd surprise me.

1. Totally relevant when you make general statements to a generation. It doesn't help or apply.

2. Trump is irrelevant to the situation. Trump when he made his millions was not a public employee.

3. Well if it were only Reed and Knight...that would be probably enough.

Maybe you missed the FBI and Army investigation of Knight. Bad example to use btw on your rant.

1. Totally relevant when you make general statements to a generation. It doesn't help or apply.

2. Trump is irrelevant to the situation. Trump when he made his millions was not a public employee.

3. Well if it were only Reed and Knight...that would be probably enough.

Maybe you missed the FBI and Army investigation of Knight. Bad example to use btw on your rant.
1. Listen to yourself. The fact you have a couple good apples in your family is great. But to say that because there are 2 great kids amongst a generation doesn't disprove the idea that there are a ton of snowflakes amongst them.
My point about Trump to this is simple. It doesn't matter where the money comes from people are who they are. Shouldn't be held to any different standard.
I am aware of the whole Knight deal your referring to and I believe that all took place long after his coaching career like 2015. So unless your insinuating he was doing that sort of stuff all the time then Ok. You may or may not be right heck if I know. But so far nobody has accused him of other stuff more than other than that...

1. Listen to yourself. The fact you have a couple good apples in your family is great. But to say that because there are 2 great kids amongst a generation doesn't disprove the idea that there are a ton of snowflakes amongst them.
My point about Trump to this is simple. It doesn't matter where the money comes from people are who they are. Shouldn't be held to any different standard.
I am aware of the whole Knight deal your referring to and I believe that all took place long after his coaching career like 2015. So unless your insinuating he was doing that sort of stuff all the time then Ok. You may or may not be right heck if I know. But so far nobody has accused him of other stuff more than other than that...

the two well known accusations are enough. Most reasonable people aren't going to doubt based on what is known about BN.

Of course people shouldn't be held to different standards. Not disagreeing that. He is a well paid public official and should be held to high standards. Mere mortal public officials would have been long gone.

I have no idea why you want to reference Iowa basketball players as snowflakes. Not winning because of talent has nothing to do with a generation which may or may not be as you describe.

I've seen Big Ten recruits up and personal. Fact is that Iowa doesn't have a lot of Big time recruits. The results are pretty indicative of the talent level. Iowa is something above mid to lower D1 level for most players or worse. One for sure in Big material. Another is a Big role player, maybe starter eventually for top teams. The rest are likely role players to lower at best but it's hard to tell. To refer to them as snowflakes is just wrong.

To suggest complaining about abusive coaching as being a snowflake is wrong. To suggest that complaining about a coach who is a borderline flake at times is coddling snowflakes is wrong.

Last edited:

Latest posts