Does Petras have another (covid) year left

I think he has the year but I thought he said he wasn't going to use it. Nothing against our guys, but if Nico Ragaini is your best WR and the o-line is gonna look like it has this year no one short of Patrick Mahomes is gonna make much of a difference on this team.

Patrick Mahommes would make a tremendous different if he was our QB. We would notice. :)

He has a year. I would be surprised if it is used. But, the kid can either play football for another year or sell insurance in Fresno, so who knows.

I have no idea who will be the QB next year.

Running this back with Petras would be such a hard sell. However, I can see Kirk talking him into it.

Why wouldn't he use it? Another year of free tuition to prepare him for his job after college.

He can, but will not come back. KF will not intervene. Fran did on JBO. But not KF for Spencer.

Guarantee you that Spencer Petras, regardless of what he may say publicly, wants nothing more than to finish out this season and get the everloving hell out of Iowa City for good.

He’s spent 3 years getting lambasted (for arguably good reason) by the media and on social media, and been booed by his home crowd on more possessions than not this year. I talked to some friends of his folks at a tailgate this weekend who said his parents are pretty much at the point where they don’t even want to watch and definitely don’t want to be in the stands at Kinnick. Leistikow has alluded to that as well.

Petras isn’t a quitter and he’s riding this season out while staying positive for his team and the media, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you never saw the dude within Iowa borders again after November.

Guarantee you that Spencer Petras, regardless of what he may say publicly, wants nothing more than to finish out this season and get the everloving hell out of Iowa City for good.

He’s spent 3 years getting lambasted (for arguably good reason) by the media and on social media, and been booed by his home crowd on more possessions than not this year. I talked to some friends of his folks at a tailgate this weekend who said his parents are pretty much at the point where they don’t even want to watch and definitely don’t want to be in the stands at Kinnick. Leistikow has alluded to that as well.

Petras isn’t a quitter and he’s riding this season out while staying positive for his team and the media, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you never saw the dude within Iowa borders again after November.

Agreed. This dude will be retired and taking a cross country drive from NorCal to New Jersey on I-80 and will split off onto I-90 or I-70 just so he doesn't have to drive through Iowa. "I don't fucking care if it adds 12 hours to the drive and costs us $1000 more in gas, I ain't going to Iowa ever again."

Agreed. This dude will be retired and taking a cross country drive from NorCal to New Jersey on I-80 and will split off onto I-90 or I-70 just so he doesn't have to drive through Iowa. "I don't fucking care if it adds 12 hours to the drive and costs us $1000 more in gas, I ain't going to Iowa ever again."
I only go back to the Long years, but McCann is the first starting QB for Iowa who I can recall being pretty bitter about his time at Iowa as it related to the fans. Or at least not loving how he was treated in Kinnick and having mixed feelings about coming back. Since then, there's been Christensen and Rudock, too, and now Petras.

I know Kirk thinks he's somehow minimizing the "noise" or potential controversy within the team by sticking with one guy for as long as possible, but ironically not sure he doesn't actually make those things worse.

What if this season had looked like '99 from a QB standpoint (even a little bit), and we'd seen some Padilla and Labas. I think we'd all be in a slightly happier place, even if those two had struggled more than Petras. It's just a game - you can take guys in and out.

What if the OL starts to gel, the WR room heals up, and Iowa successfully fumble fucks its way through the West and lands in Indy for a second year in a row? You telling me there is no way KF and Petras wouldn't want another year with the entire OL, RB room, and most of the WRs returning?

Never say never.

You guys are probably right. I doubt he comes back although he has proven to be mentally tough and able to take crap if not a great QB
As much as i have liked Ferentz I think he deserves "credit" for the crap Petras has had to take. Coaches always say they want to put their players in position to succeed yet Ferentz has done just the opposite for Petras. Leaving him out there all this time was wrong. I feel for the kid

Latest posts