Does KMM pass KDavis on depth chart?

A key difference is that injuries really negatively impacted Stross's development. To my knowledge, Davis has enjoyed relatively decent health (knock on wood).

My bet is that Davis turns out to provide us with a much better "story" than Stross.

I agree that injuries is the first thing I think of with Stross too which made me hesitate making the comparison. He did have some big plays/games for us, he just never "emerged" like everyone expects KD to do. I'm not saying KD won't, I'm just saying I haven't seen it yet.

I agree that injuries is the first thing I think of with Stross too which made me hesitate making the comparison. He did have some big plays/games for us, he just never "emerged" like everyone expects KD to do. I'm not saying KD won't, I'm just saying I haven't seen it yet.

I think Stross would have emerged as a bigger threat were it not for the injuries. He showed some real glimpses of greatness in his freshman and sophomore seasons, but nagging hamstring issues will get a receiver more often than not.

I know that group never played together at UM. But I just see Marvin developing into an Edwards type, at least his senior year when he was a given for pulling in at least two long receptions a game. I see Davis as an Avant type who will make the tough catch in traffic. I see KMM as a Manningham type who is more quick than the others, but doesn't quite have the top gear of Breaston.

Of course Davis could end up more like Arrington than Avant.

They will need both guys or someone to emerge as that 3rd receiver. I really don't care who it is-split CJ out run him out of the slot I don't care. Give JVB another option he can trust.

That 3rd guy needs to catch 10-20 passes this year.

Barring injury, Keenan will have a big year. KMart can fill the Sandeman role, with Shumpert also getting chances. I love our receiving corp,if they stay on the field.
I also love how Marvin can lead them this year,then Keenan next year,before both go to the NFL. Vandy to Keenan is going be dynamite the next two years!

If Keenan was the stud he's being made out to be he would have seen more action and made more catches last year than Colin Sandeman.

I hope I'm wrong, but it sure seems like there's room for somebody to step up and take that spot from him.

Would Davis even be starting if Sandeman didn't graduate? I really hope last years Insight bowl was not a preview of life without DJK for our WR's.

The problem with Davis is that there isn't a good precedent within the Ferentz era of a WR playing sparingly and putting up limited stats in his first two years on campus and then raising his game as an upperclassmen. It seems that every decent receiver in the past ten years has put up solid numbers in his first couple years on campus or never puts up solid numbers. Granted, not everyone had to backup DJK and MM, but its still an unknown.

At this point, I expect Davis to be pretty good, but I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to stagnate.

I think KMM is going to be a stud, but whether it's this year or not who knows. On that note, I think it's hillarious that people are saying that someone entering his junior year is never going to live up to the hype. This cracks me up. Let's see what they can do and then we can talk later on down the road. Keenan's only half way through his Hawkeye career and his first year listed as a starter, let's see how it plays out before we judge him.

Shumpert does have wheels. He is also fast and tall. But at the spring scrimmage and the kids day scrimmage, he also displayed hands of stone, IMO.

The problem with Davis is that there isn't a good precedent within the Ferentz era of a WR playing sparingly and putting up limited stats in his first two years on campus and then raising his game as an upperclassmen. It seems that every decent receiver in the past ten years has put up solid numbers in his first couple years on campus or never puts up solid numbers. Granted, not everyone had to backup DJK and MM, but its still an unknown.

At this point, I expect Davis to be pretty good, but I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to stagnate.

I disagree with your assertion that our receivers seem to have to put up good numbers early in their career to put up big numbers as upperclassmen.

Keenan Davis' stats through two years:

15 receptions, 186 yards, 2 TDs

Now consider this underclassmen stats of the following:

Mo Brown: 3 receptions, 42 yards, 0 TDs (sophomore year only, his freshman stats weren't available)
Ed Hinkel: 32 receptions, 336 yards, 2 TDs
Clinton Solomon: 14 receptions, 159 yards, 1 TD

Those are three guys who went from obscurity to stars at WR. There are a few other guys like Razor, who put up solid numbers as upperclassmen, but not good/great. Davis will be fine, as he's more talented than all of them.

Latest posts