Does Kirk have a clue?

Look folks I started this thread with the idea that at some point this cycle of the lifetime contract where because someone has done great things in the past does NOT entitle anyone to lifetime employment..that the problem with tenure. Is that what everyone thinks should be done? As great as KF has been and Hayden Fry...both of whom I respect tremendously will the administration be able to thank someone and move on when it's time?

Exactly. There are other stats, like graduation rate, that we are high in. You are a dumb arse.

If we are talking graduation his administration has been fantastic...never did I question that. WTH would you bring that up? If the coaching staff want to teach anthropology then do that. If you want to win football games you may have to adjust to circumstances better.

Probably the most alarming thing about a post like this is, there really are people out there that see something, take it at face value and move on, without any real insight or perspective. Which IS there if they would only look AND then they accuse others of not being in touch……I mean it really is laughable, and I mean that in a “I’m shocked and can’t help but laugh†kind of way……that there are people, who from a distance can make such idiotic comments about a company/program/individual!

Let’s review the stupidity of this……..

First…here we have a man with 5 kids and for those that “don’t†have that many, it is a very difficult, highly important job and you better have your thumb on the pulse of a lot of things to do it as successfully as they obviously have. And for those who would pooh-pooh this, that’s says a great deal more about you than anything else……

2nd those five kids have now gone to schools across the country and “lived†across the country…..more perspective, more “culture†more insight into “what youngsters†are facing all over…..honestly I can’t believe people are so stupid that they can’t see these kind of insights themselves.

3rd……we have a coach who has worked under some great, great coaches in some big time programs, with other insightful, highly rated coaches, working beside him. This has spanned several decades, NFL to small college. THAT is invaluable perspective and you don’t suddenly turn brain dead & disinterested in fixing or “changing! You do get better at shutting the critics out and fixing without many really seeing what you are doing….why, because that’s your job…..again the level of stupidity is just baffling to me.

4th……he has recruited, successfully I might add, from the Dakota’s to urban Detroit and on down to Texas, Florida and out to Jersey…..

He has traversed the county and talked with what….1000’s of coaches and parents from all walks of life…Should I go on…in short he hasn’t sat behind a key board and said stupid “sh%$#†for several hours a day…..

Listen I apologize, but I am so sick and tired of just stupid crap……yes it is possible to lose your voice somewhere and start getting poorer results, but the outlandish, just flat out mind numbing, illogical tripe that people try to pawn of makes me ache for intelligent conservation of which there is darn little to be found anymore. My 12 year old son…heck all 4 of my children (7 year old included, heck probably even my coming newborn in short order) have better cognitive thinking skills than 90% of the people on these boards!!!

Somewhere in your mindless dribblings there was an assertion, comment, or rebuff. He makes more money than 99% of people in the world. He took and has maintained the position for what 13 years? He's done it by choice with class, pride, and hard work I totally agree but you can't ignore that the trajectory of the program is tracking in an eerily similar demise to that of the FRY era, as GREAT as that was and an even more heroic effort than KF given where Iowa had sunk when he took over.

Yeah, sometimes the truth is pretty brutal. You can choose to accept it, or look the other way.

he's the best iowa coach in my lifetime and yours, based on results. face that, or look the other way. they need fans in clown town. believe me, Kinnick will still be selling all the tickets whether you chose to support or simply *****.

regarding seepig - it is hard for you to rationalize that the top 3 leading receivers in Iowa history all come from the Ferentz era. I thought Fry was the pass happy offensive guru??

he's the best iowa coach in my lifetime and yours, based on results. face that, or look the other way. they need fans in clown town. believe me, Kinnick will still be selling all the tickets whether you chose to support or simply *****.

regarding seepig - it is hard for you to rationalize that the top 3 leading receivers in Iowa history all come from the Ferentz era. I thought Fry was the pass happy offensive guru??

Actually Fry was in fact NOT a pass happy guru genius....so what's your point? When Fry got a lead he milked the clock by running and then running again. If you are going to be taken seriously then make sense.

Actually, he is smarter than you are. And many people noticed this year- media, pundits, etc.- that Iowa did do things differently in many ways this year. This is a fact. Iowa blitzed far more than ever before, Iowa played much more 3-4 in crucial situations and we did play more press coverage- media people noted this as well- if you paid attention. Also noted by many people were the very different sets on offense. Yes, Iowa ran many of the same plays out of these different formations, but there were many different formations- trips to one side, clusters, and trap plays inside and a lot more pulling in the interior of the O-line. If you watched, you saw these things but you would rather just stay anti- Iowa here and that is fine. But you are as the previous posted an idiot who WANTS to be right rather than being right.

Yes, we get it. I'm stupid...you're so much smarter. That having been said...and ignoring that much of your ramble has nothing to do with my previous assertions... Can you honestly look at Ferent's coaching patterns of the past 2-3 years and not see a guy who's stubbornAy (sometimes blindly) set in his ways?

Here's a simple "smart" for you. If a lot of people from varying backgrounds and perspectives...from idiot armchair QB (that'd be me Mr Hawking) to Local columnist to National pundit make the same observations.. isn't it likely that there's something to it? Probably.

Yes, there are plenty that regularly praise Ferentz as well. But for the most part, they're just repeating the same talking points about him that have been around for years. They're making no real observations about his recent performance.

It's often said...there's no "staying the same", you're either moving forward, or slipping behind. I'd suggest that the last few years look a lot more like the latter...than the former. And I don't need to call someone an idiot to make my point. :)

Hey, if you want to dwell on what he has done in the past, instead of where it looks like he is going, that is fine with me.

How do some of you call yourselves HAWKEYE FANS? You are so negative. Go Kirk. Top 20 in the nation over the last 10 years for winning percentage. A couple of Big 10 Champs, some nice Bowl wins! That is pretty good, not great but I'll take it as a TRUE Hawk fan who is negative Nancy like many of you. Go root for another team if all you do is complain about the Hawks. I don't understand complaining and acting like you know so much when many of you have never coached at any level. Truly sad, I wish these boards would be more positive about our Hawkeyes! Love those Hawks!

Those changes that you speak were apparent but they were out of necessity of the talent level we had. Not because Ferentz and staff had wanted to try something new.

Actually, he is smarter than you are. And many people noticed this year- media, pundits, etc.- that Iowa did do things differently in many ways this year. This is a fact. Iowa blitzed far more than ever before, Iowa played much more 3-4 in crucial situations and we did play more press coverage- media people noted this as well- if you paid attention. Also noted by many people were the very different sets on offense. Yes, Iowa ran many of the same plays out of these different formations, but there were many different formations- trips to one side, clusters, and trap plays inside and a lot more pulling in the interior of the O-line. If you watched, you saw these things but you would rather just stay anti- Iowa here and that is fine. But you are as the previous posted an idiot who WANTS to be right rather than being right.
Yes, we get it. I'm stupid...you're so much smarter. That having been said...and ignoring that much of your ramble has nothing to do with my previous assertions... Can you honestly look at Ferent's coaching patterns of the past 2-3 years and not see a guy who's stubbornAy (sometimes blindly) set in his ways? Here's a simple "smart" for you. If a lot of people from varying backgrounds and perspectives...from idiot armchair QB (that'd be me Mr Hawking) to Local columnist to National pundit make the same observations.. isn't it likely that there's something to it? Probably. Yes, there are plenty that regularly praise Ferentz as well. But for the most part, they're just repeating the same talking points about him that have been around for years. They're making no real observations about his recent performance. It's often said...there's no "staying the same", you're either moving forward, or slipping behind. I'd suggest that the last few years look a lot more like the latter...than the former. And I don't need to call someone an idiot to make my point. :)

kf is pretty set in his ways thats for sure. they'd be so much better if they had no guiding philosophy and would just wing it. another thing, I wish he'd entitle his elite athletes and turn a blind a eye to any indiscretions so that they wouldn't leave campus after they get in hot water. holding kids accountable is a bunch of bs. last thing, I'm really upset that he doesn't produce10-win seasons every year. it simple, we should fire him and bring a coach who steals the best of the best from the Sec. when Kf is fired our next coach will be able to out-recruit miles and saban and then we'll be national champs. I don't see how everyone isn't on board with that plan.

How do some of you call yourselves HAWKEYE FANS? You are so negative. Go Kirk. Top 20 in the nation over the last 10 years for winning percentage. A couple of Big 10 Champs, some nice Bowl wins! That is pretty good, not great but I'll take it as a TRUE Hawk fan who is negative Nancy like many of you. Go root for another team if all you do is complain about the Hawks. I don't understand complaining and acting like you know so much when many of you have never coached at any level. Truly sad, I wish these boards would be more positive about our Hawkeyes! Love those Hawks!
You sound like a woman.
GO TEAM!!!!

first of all this is a challenging thing because it was called dropouts to start with. we are talking about kids leaving the team (attrition) most of these kids arent dropping out. second kids that leave early for nfl cant count. and third statistics are on a +/- scale which means every number is subject to going up or down a little over time so if you look at the spreads of these numbers you can see that we are very comparable to teams below us making us about average for the time frame.

if you understand statistics you know you cant take the numbers at strict face value because it could be a slight up trend or down trend that will even out over time.

Hey, if you want to dwell on what he has done in the past, instead of where it looks like he is going, that is fine with me.

2009 Orange Bowl winner.

Only BCS level bowl win for Iowa in your lifetime and it happened little over 2 years ago.

dwelling on the past...get a grip on reality.

do you know what led to that success ("08, '09,'10)? 2006 and 2007 seasons playing a lot of young players.....ring any bells for you?

first of all this is a challenging thing because it was called dropouts to start with. we are talking about kids leaving the team (attrition) most of these kids arent dropping out. second kids that leave early for nfl cant count. and third statistics are on a +/- scale which means every number is subject to going up or down a little over time so if you look at the spreads of these numbers you can see that we are very comparable to teams below us making us about average for the time frame.

if you understand statistics you know you cant take the numbers at strict face value because it could be a slight up trend or down trend that will even out over time.

Once again Foval take his time takes the emotion out of the subject and has a great take.
I dont have the time nor the ability to look these things up thanks foval for the good info.

Actually Fry was in fact NOT a pass happy guru genius....so what's your point? When Fry got a lead he milked the clock by running and then running again. If you are going to be taken seriously then make sense.

really?

you must have missed all the threads on this website wondering why Ferentz' offense couldn't be as 'wide open' as was Fry's.......you know, the bit you morons use about how stale and conservative Ferentz' and KOK's offense is.....

Blah, blah, blah....

Team 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Total
Illinois 21(23) 28 20(22) 23 27 (28) 124
Indiana 20 20 19 25 24 108
Iowa 22 25 21 22 25 115
Michigan 20 24 22 27 21 114
Michigan State 22 (23) 21 23 22 21 110
Minnesota 24 29 20 26 26 125
Nebraska 27 28 20 22 20 117
Northwestern 19 20 18 17 17 91
Ohio State 15 20 25 19 24 103
Penn State 21 14 27 19 16 97
Purdue 19 26 20 24 15 104
Wisconsin 18 26 21 24 19 108

Blah, blah, blah...

Let's have a little math lesson here.

The mean is: 109.6

Iowa is at 115. For simplicity, and to your arguments advantage, let's round the average down to 109.

So, in the end you're whining about Iowa being 6 kids over the conference average for a period of 5 years. Get. Over. It.

Now all of the sudden those few players that left early for the draft seem much more significant.

Last edited:
Blah, blah, blah....Team 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 TotalIllinois 21(23) 28 20(22) 23 27 (28) 124Indiana 20 20 19 25 24 108Iowa 22 25 21 22 25 115Michigan 20 24 22 27 21 114Michigan State 22 (23) 21 23 22 21 110Minnesota 24 29 20 26 26 125Nebraska 27 28 20 22 20 117Northwestern 19 20 18 17 17 91Ohio State 15 20 25 19 24 103Penn State 21 14 27 19 16 97Purdue 19 26 20 24 15 104Wisconsin 18 26 21 24 19 108Blah, blah, blah...
Let's have a little math lesson here.91,97,103,104,108,108,110,114,115,117,124,125The mean is: 109.6Iowa is at 115. For simplicity, and to your arguments advantage, let's round the average down to 109.So, in the end you're whining about Iowa being 6 kids over the conference average for a period of 5 years. Get. Over. It.Now all of the sudden those few players that left early for the draft seem much more significant.

you beat me to it. its called a standard deviation. numbers in a series generally fluctuate within 1.5% of the mode. when numbers get outside that range they statistical outliers. Iowas attrition rate is well within the standard deviation of the big ten and all of d1.

who would've thought the statistics courses I took years ago in my masters program would really only get used on a message board about hawkeye football.

Latest posts