Does Kirk have a clue?

seepig

Does anyone else find the rate of dropouts disturbing? Does anyone find it odd regarding the extended delay in naming a DC? Does Kirk HAVE a CLUE?!

While many of us are not D1 coaches many of us do understand kids, life, etc. It would do Kirk good to ready the Tipping Point so he has a clue what is transpiring within his program.

Does anyone else find the rate of dropouts disturbing? Does anyone find it odd regarding the extended delay in naming a DC? Does Kirk HAVE a CLUE?!

While many of us are not D1 coaches many of us do understand kids, life, etc. It would do Kirk good to ready the Tipping Point so he has a clue what is transpiring within his program.

please go into detail regarding the 'rate of dropouts' as it relates to letting the public know about the new DC.

I don't think it's been mentioned.

Does anyone else find the rate of dropouts disturbing? Does anyone find it odd regarding the extended delay in naming a DC? Does Kirk HAVE a CLUE?!While many of us are not D1 coaches many of us do understand kids, life, etc. It would do Kirk good to ready the Tipping Point so he has a clue what is transpiring within his program.

Just you.

Wow it's amazing how many people log on to this board! Never thought I'd get that many responses!

Here is the list of players who committed to Big Ten schools over the past 5 seasons- 2007 to 2011. The reason I limited it to 5 years was that a commit from the 2007 season would have played his final season this year following a red shirt. Iowa has had the third most turnover in the conference over that time period, lost 43 players who had eligibility remaining for a variety of reasons. In this time period only three players left early for the draft from Iowa- Bulaga, Sash and Rieff.

One last thing- other than Ferentz, only Zook, Bielema, Dantonio, and Paterno were head coaches for this entire time period.

Team 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Total
Illinois 21(23) 28 20(22) 23 27 (28) 124
Indiana 20 20 19 25 24 108
Iowa 22 25 21 22 25 115
Michigan 20 24 22 27 21 114
Michigan State 22 (23) 21 23 22 21 110
Minnesota 24 29 20 26 26 125
Nebraska 27 28 20 22 20 117
Northwestern 19 20 18 17 17 91
Ohio State 15 20 25 19 24 103
Penn State 21 14 27 19 16 97
Purdue 19 26 20 24 15 104
Wisconsin 18 26 21 24 19 108

In case y'all hadn't read the other guy's thread. Maybe my thread should have been titled does Kirk or Kool Aid drinking Hawk fans have a clue?

Yes. In that other thread, it was pointed out in that list that Iowa has the third-most often used 'revolving door' out of the program. What I see though, is that we have had a number of players comparable to the league average.

Our player attrition is unremarkable, so I have trouble blaming Kirk for it. I do blame him for the recent Minnesota losses, though.

Yes. In that other thread, it was pointed out in that list that Iowa has the third-most often used 'revolving door' out of the program. What I see though, is that we have had a number of players comparable to the league average.

Our player attrition is unremarkable, so I have trouble blaming Kirk for it. I do blame him for the recent Minnesota losses, though.

what do you give him credit for? your negativity is well documented.

This, although the biggest issue regarding the attrition is that it's largely from just two position groups.

What is everyone
eating for dinner tonight?
I want recipes!

Hey Springsteen, are you really that bored?

Why don't you hop on over to the BBall forum?

Misery might love company, but company surely doesn't love misery.

EDIT: and yeah, we get it. Ferentz is the greatest.

Last edited:
I think Kirk is clueless, in a way. He's so old school, he still thinks if you just show up on time, work harder, be honest...that's enough. It's not.

The world, and especially college football is more complicated than that. College football coaches don't make 7 Figures just because they're good with X's and O's. They're expected to be managers of the program, the company...on and off the field. It's not just coaching the sport of football between the white lines anymore. It's PR, image, strategy relative to the bigger landscape of sports, etc etc. Building and maintaining a winning college football program is more than just football fundamentals.

But worse than being ignorant of it...I think he's aware of some elements...but just doesn't give a damn. He's gonna do it his way, period. I've seen a number of companies go down the tubes due to this very thing: Leadership with no vision, or ignorance by design. (screw MP3, we're gonna keep making great cassette tapes!...that's our identity)

If he doesn't make some changes...we will continue to trend downward.

Just what I was thinking. Ever have anything positive to say Pig??

Yep I do and have go look at my other posts twinnutbag. As a matter of the kids play hard and do the best job they can...we've got some talent here...not well utilized by KOK and if you are a regular here you've seen the evidence.

What in my post that you quoted brings negativity into the equation? I was saying that our attrition is relatively normal, therefore Kirk should not be blamed for it.

REALLY 3rd highest in the BIG 10 well above average! And what's your definition of normal then?