Does KF Owe Anything To The Fans?

ForeverHawk

My wife and I went to the game in Indy. I am almost 52 years only and a lifelong Hawk fan. Outside of a game or two each year, I have never been to a bowl game or road game outside of ISU. I just could never justify the cost, especially if Iowa were to lose. It may not be the best way to look at it, but it’s how I have made my decisions in the past.

Regardless, we decided to pull the trigger and go this past weekend. We live in Kansas City so it’s a 7 1/2 hour drive. We threw in a stop in W. Lafayette for the Iowa/Purdue game. All in all an enjoyable weekend outside of the two losses.

But as I was driving home, I couldn’t help but think, this is why I don’t spend money on the hawks, because usually I’m let down. While talking to a few Michigan fans, they respect our program and our coaching staff, they know we get more out of our players than most teams in the country. They even thought Iowa could be an elite program if they just got out of their own way. They shook their heads along with me when Iowa had 2nd and 23 and ran the ball twice before punting on Saturday.

We all know KF is Uber conservative and coaches with a risk adverse attitude and relies on the defense to keep us in games. As fans, we’ve seen it for years. But it makes it extremely difficult to win the big games. But, we’ve seen the results when Brian is allowed to open up the playbook. OSU a few years ago is a great example. I do not believe for one minute KF does not limit BF in his play calling duties. Ultimately, the lack of offensive output falls on the head coach.

KF may not have any desire to please the fans, but at what point if ever will he realize he needs to be better? Or is this the best it gets, 7-12 wins per year, Kinnick seats filled, a championship game here and there and no CFP? Is the whole of the university satisfied year after year? Other teams know Iowa has the talent, but they either laugh or shake their heads or are thankful that we lack any type of productive offensive scheme when it matters. At some point there has to be more, right? How we get there is the question???

KF owes you nothing and that is what you will get. He wants to win games more than you do. There is no "next level" for Iowa. If you think Iowa can beat Nebraska or whomever they reassign as our last game (will be MN or WI), then the best team in the East, then two top 4 teams you are wrong. It will never happen.

I was at the OSU game. It was the last Iowa game I went to. We won that game not because "brian opened up the playbook" but because OSU rolled out a total vanilla base 4-3 and we had two first round TEs who they couldn't cover. Bosa also got kicked out. It was an amazing game, but play calling isn't why we won that game, OSU being idiots is why we won it.

KF owes you nothing and that is what you will get. He wants to win games more than you do. There is no "next level" for Iowa. If you think Iowa can beat Nebraska or whomever they reassign as our last game (will be MN or WI), then the best team in the East, then two top 4 teams you are wrong. It will never happen.

I was at the OSU game. It was the last Iowa game I went to. We won that game not because "brian opened up the playbook" but because OSU rolled out a total vanilla base 4-3 and we had two first round TEs who they couldn't cover. Bosa also got kicked out. It was an amazing game, but play calling isn't why we won that game, OSU being idiots is why we won it.
Nice, that was the first game I attended as an adult. All around fun time, spurred me to attend about a dozen games since. It really is startling the number of people here who think that game was a sign of what Iowa can be, rather than Urban being stubborn, or simply too stupid and lazy to put together an actual defensive game plan.

But aren’t you a Northwestern fan anyway??? That’s always been the word going around. There are a few things in my life that I am entitled to, food and satisfaction from the Mrs. and Kirk Ferentz catering to my Iowa football wish list. I’m a simple man.

My wife and I went to the game in Indy. I am almost 52 years only and a lifelong Hawk fan. Outside of a game or two each year, I have never been to a bowl game or road game outside of ISU. I just could never justify the cost, especially if Iowa were to lose. It may not be the best way to look at it, but it’s how I have made my decisions in the past.

Regardless, we decided to pull the trigger and go this past weekend. We live in Kansas City so it’s a 7 1/2 hour drive. We threw in a stop in W. Lafayette for the Iowa/Purdue game. All in all an enjoyable weekend outside of the two losses.

But as I was driving home, I couldn’t help but think, this is why I don’t spend money on the hawks, because usually I’m let down. While talking to a few Michigan fans, they respect our program and our coaching staff, they know we get more out of our players than most teams in the country. They even thought Iowa could be an elite program if they just got out of their own way. They shook their heads along with me when Iowa had 2nd and 23 and ran the ball twice before punting on Saturday.

We all know KF is Uber conservative and coaches with a risk adverse attitude and relies on the defense to keep us in games. As fans, we’ve seen it for years. But it makes it extremely difficult to win the big games. But, we’ve seen the results when Brian is allowed to open up the playbook. OSU a few years ago is a great example. I do not believe for one minute KF does not limit BF in his play calling duties. Ultimately, the lack of offensive output falls on the head coach.

KF may not have any desire to please the fans, but at what point if ever will he realize he needs to be better? Or is this the best it gets, 7-12 wins per year, Kinnick seats filled, a championship game here and there and no CFP? Is the whole of the university satisfied year after year? Other teams know Iowa has the talent, but they either laugh or shake their heads or are thankful that we lack any type of productive offensive scheme when it matters. At some point there has to be more, right? How we get there is the question???
This is exactly why I'll never dole out big cash for a game like that. no bowl games, either. The let down would be too big.

Going to regular games is fun and I'll keep doing that. I live 5 1/2 hours away, but this year was the most fun I've had with my kid, ever. He's not jaded like we are, and it was memories that a lot of people don't get with their kids. But to make a trip for something like last weekend...no fuckin' way. That's a ton of money all on one expectation that you know isn't probably going to happen.

This year was my litmus test of going to a full season, and I'll do it again next year. And the money spent wasn't bad at all for 7 games. Here's what I spent...

$550 for two mobile passes
$175 for my half of a tailgate spot right off Melrose that I absolutely love. All of our neighbors are awesome and long-time residents of their spots
$305 for 1/2 of gas
$252 for 1/2 of motels
Right around $100 for food (we eat sandwiches and stuff on the way down and back, and cook @ the tailgate, no restaurants).

So less than $1,400 for two people to go to all 7 games with a guaranteed parking spot close to Kinnick with awesome neighbors. I'd do that even in a down year because my boy and I have so much fun. My dad and I didn't get the chance because my folks couldn't afford it.

But...would I ever drop a couple grand on a trip to see one game that I know we have a small chance of winning? No way Jose. Not gonna happen.

This is exactly why I'll never dole out big cash for a game like that. no bowl games, either. The let down would be too big.

Going to regular games is fun and I'll keep doing that. I live 5 1/2 hours away, but this year was the most fun I've had with my kid, ever. He's not jaded like we are, and it was memories that a lot of people don't get with their kmids. But to make a trip for something like ;last weekend...no way. That's a ton of money all on one expectation that you know isn't probably going to happen.

This year was my litmus test of going to a full season, and I'll do it again next year. And the money spent wasn't bad at all for 7 games. Here's what I spent...

$550 for two mobile passes
$175 for my half of a tailgate spot right off Melrose that I absolutely love. All of our neighbors are awesome and long-time residents of their spots
$305 for 1/2 of gas
$252 for 1/2 of motels
Right around $100 for food (we eat sandwiches and stuff on the way down and back, and cook @ the tailgate, no restaurants).

So less than $1,300 for two people to go to all 7 games with a guaranteed parking spot close to Kinnick with awesome neighbors. I'd do that even in a down year because my boy and I have so much fun. My dad and I didn't get the chance because my folks couldn't afford it.

But...would I ever drop a couple grand on a trip to see one game that I know we have a small chance of winning? No way Jose. Not gonna happen.
I went to the last Outback Bowl. It was fun and fairly cheap, the bulk of the cost is flights and hotel, the former of that you can usually get for cheap for the Florida bowls. The funny thing is that unless I someday find myself independently wealthy I'd almost never pay the costs of seeing a Rose Bowl in person, even though I'd of course like the Hawks to make that one any given year. That sort of thing would be matchup dependent. This year against Utah? I think that's a game Iowa can win. I'd at least consider it. But if Riley gets USC looking like Oklahoma, I'd almost certainly pass on that matchup.

Exactly! Pompous arrogant head coach thought he could easily beat us playing a standard defense. If he had stacked the box like most teams did that whole season with the talent he had he would have creamed us.

I think he may have been day dreaming about lap dances in local bars that game.

I do agree with Urban being stupid....I also think this is the one game I can think of where we extremely creative in our play calling. Urban being stupid helped the cause.

He owes us technically nothing. But, if he does not put a good product out on the field (and in the technical sense most of the time he does) it could lead to his ousting just like any coach out there after awhile of subpar play and losing.

The market is by and large satisfied with 7-9 wins (or better) that gets them bowl bound. If the market gets tired of that (fans stop showing up to games primarily) that is when thinks get dicey for said coach.

What saves Ferentz's ass is his subpar offense is carried by a formidable defense and special teams....along playing usually a weak non-conference and playing in the West Division. Even then, it is a struggle to win the West Division......like this year and we were sweating it out and relying on Minnesota to get us into the Title Game. Minnesota should get some of that bonus money from Kirk for doing him a solid.

There have been a few games where BF was commended for his play calling, but mostly it’s a WTF moment when thinking about the play calls. Anyway my take to Michigan fans was that KF will be here as long as he wants and as long as he sells out Kinnick. And he will never change his philosophy.

He owes us technically nothing. But, if he does not put a good product out on the field (and in the technical sense most of the time he does) it could lead to his ousting just like any coach out there after awhile of subpar play and losing.

The market is by and large satisfied with 7-9 wins (or better) that gets them bowl bound. If the market gets tired of that (fans stop showing up to games primarily) that is when thinks get dicey for said coach.

What saves Ferentz's ass is his subpar offense is carried by a formidable defense and special teams....along playing usually a weak non-conference and playing in the West Division. Even then, it is a struggle to win the West Division......like this year and we were sweating it out and relying on Minnesota to get us into the Title Game. Minnesota should get some of that bonus money from Kirk for doing him a solid.
Most teams have this benefit though, so I don't know that it's really a fair criticism given that Iowa does beat most other teams win totals. We aren't that far removed from Iowa State not being a guaranteed win.

There have been a few games where BF was commended for his play calling, but mostly it’s a WTF moment when thinking about the play calls. Anyway my take to Michigan fans was that KF will be here as long as he wants and as long as he sells out Kinnick. And he will never change his philosophy.
Show me a criticism of Brian that we didn't criticize Greg Davis for, other than his last name. I promise I am almost done defending him, it's just that there's a common denominator here, and it's the other Ferentz on the staff.

What Kirk is responsible to is the "program". He's been chosen to lead the program currently. He doesn't own it. I'm looking at not only how willing he is to make changes to the O but to what degree considering how poor the performance is on that side of the ball. As I heard one ex- notable player point out recently......just think where we would be if we even had a middle of the pack offense in recent times to accompany the D we've been producing under Parker. We've left a lot on the table.

The question I often wonder is ........what is more important to our head coach, the fate of the program or that of his son's career? I wonder if they envisioned the current scenario when they appointed BF to OC.

I'm happy with our record (if we're measuring that way) but are we really expecting to count on the favorable turnovers to lead us to this outcome each season? Changes can't come soon enough with MI & OSU on the schedule next season along with MN & PU on the road.

Of course KF owes the fans. What’s more, I believe he knows that full well. I think he is sincere when he compliments the Hawk fans. I would guess most coaches care deeply about how they are perceived by fans. It’s just as clear to me that caring about us does not require him to submit to our wishes on the highly technical job he performs. He owes us respect. He has to run a clean program, treat his players fairly, work hard to help them do their best in the classroom, on the field, and in their social relationships. In short he must perform as a mentor. I believe KF is very good at what he does.

Show me a criticism of Brian that we didn't criticize Greg Davis for, other than his last name. I promise I am almost done defending him, it's just that there's a common denominator here, and it's the other Ferentz on the staff.
Yep...every offensive coordinator under Kirk has eventually had the Iowa lynch Mob after them....From KOK...to Grandpa Greg....to baby Ferentz. One consistent remains after each coordinator leaves.

Of course KF owes the fans. What’s more, I believe he knows that full well. I think he is sincere when he compliments the Hawk fans. I would guess most coaches care deeply about how they are perceived by fans. It’s just as clear to me that caring about us does not require him to submit to our wishes on the highly technical job he performs. He owes us respect. He has to run a clean program, treat his players fairly, work hard to help them do their best in the classroom, on the field, and in their social relationships. In short he must perform as a mentor. I believe KF is very good at what he does.
All good points as well....with the exception of the whole Doyle fiasco under his watch (and perhaps his son's role in it as well).

I do agree with Urban being stupid....I also think this is the one game I can think of where we extremely creative in our play calling. Urban being stupid helped the cause.
Plus the hawks executed to the highest degree, everything worked, plus 4 INTs. But Fant and TJ were total matchup problems when they went 5 wide and safeties or lnbkrs had to cover them or a fast receiver.