Does Jon or anyone close to the program have any CJB practice details?

I had just posted that to most it was obvious after the Purdue game this was the case......You can't just keep playing this crap so close to the vest and wait for other teams to make mistakes. You need to step onto the field and TAKE what the other team has, you need to be the bullies. I haven't seen that out of an Iowa team since 2008 and 2009....which is incredibly disappointing since that is what KF built this program on in the early 00's.

And I think if Kirk doesn't 'get it' now, he just won't 'get it'. It's not like it's just us out here in the hinterlands who hold this opinion...most everyone I have spoken with who has played the game at very high levels (and at Iowa, some for Kirk) believes this, too.

It's just that after this week's circle of trust breach, I can see Kirk being strong headed...cutting off his nose to spite his face...but that would also assume there was going to be some change before that...an assumption I certainly wouldn't make

Win, you/we aren't going to get any insight into Ft. Kinnick. kfootball just doesn't allow information to leak out. So, we are left to draw our own conclusions from what we see and experience. kfootball stated CJ wasn't getting minutes due to bad practice. Visually, on the field in games CJ has played in, he has shown more talent than JR and a penchant at throwing deeper down field. JR has thrown the vast majority of his passes, short and underneath, almost exclusively, at times. So, we see a more talented qb that throws the ball (extremely well) down field riding the bench in favor of the less talented qb that throws (mostly) underneath and dump off passes, and this playing time is based off of practice, per kfootball. The conclusion I drew is as logical as any other.

Arvada, I don't think the op was looking for posters opinions, speculation, or rants on why they hate duh Kurt. I think he was looking for what others have heard from insider buddies, insider themselves, reporters who are close to the program, Etc. No offense, I don't think he was trying to find out your non-insider take. -lol'n

The only thing I have to pass along to the op is what was briefly mentioned on the HawkeyeReport podcast last week. They said that word out of practice was that #15 was looking very sharp. Take that for what it's worth.

Arvada, I don't think the op was looking for posters opinions, speculation, or rants on why they hate duh Kurt. I think he was looking for what others have heard from insider buddies, insider themselves, reporters who are close to the program, Etc. No offense, I don't think he was trying to find out your non-insider take. -lol'n

The only thing I have to pass along to the op is what was briefly mentioned on the HawkeyeReport podcast last week. They said that word out of practice was that #15 was looking very sharp. Take that for what it's worth.

Then again you have to remember that T Kakert is the worlds biggest homer.. Any report from HR is viewed through black and gold glasses. The big question is did #15 look very sharp once they took the red jersey off? IMHO it's very difficult to judge a QB in practice; there is no fear of getting crushed. To me, that takes all the pressure off the QB and they can do their thing.

Eda, my post that you chose to reply to was a response to a post by another poster and not in direct reply to the OP. Therefore, you took my post out of context. But thanks anyway for the free advice.

I have no idea who will start but it is crazy to think KF is giving in to outside pressure. Not Happening. I hope CJB gets the nod. But you really cant count on players knowing. The staff operates on a need to know basis. When the JC/Stanzi thing was going on I was told on a Fri afternoon by a WR Stanzi was going to start. Posted it on the other board. To my surprise JC gets the start.

Eda, my post that you chose to reply to was a response to a post by another poster and not in direct reply to the OP. Therefore, you took my post out of context. But thanks anyway for the free advice.

Actually the bill has already been sent out.

No way does KF let anyone push him to do anything. He isn't afraid for his job, he holds all the power and all the cards.

Big money putting pressure on things at this point MIGHT be wishful thinking, but how can people be so adamant it is not??

There might not be enough of them banded together now but i would bet it's coming if this continues for a couple more years.

KF is proud to a fault. He doesn't want to get fired from THIS job.

I see next year's team worse than this one. And a downward trajectory given the poor recruiting. I still think it is possible he is getting pressure from somewhere. Hell maybe its just Brian. But he is going to have to change his ways or he eventually will be shown the door. Happens to most everybody in this business.

It would have happened already but lucky for him he has a BOOB for a boss.

If Jake comes down with the flu, then CJ will start. Absent some injury or illness, I don't see that happening. For one, if CJ starts and does great, every fan will wonder why that didn't happen during the season when it mattered. Second, no way that Ferentz is succumbing to outside pressure. Once that crack appears in the armor, whats to stop the next person/group demanding some action? That's a dangerous slippery slope to be on, and one, if I were Ferentz, would not capitulate to, either. It's his call to make, whether we agree with it or not.

Last edited:
If Jake comes down with the flu, the CJ will start. Absent some injury or illness, I don't see that happening. For one, if CJ starts and does great, every fan will wonder why that didn't happen during the season when it mattered. Second, no way that Ferentz is succumbing to outside pressure. Once that crack appears in the armor, what's to stop the next person/group demanding some action? That's a dangerous slippery slope to be on, and one, if I were Ferentz, would not capitulate to, either. It's his call to make, whether we agree with it or not.

My prediction is CJ doesn't play a down this game, even if Jake is sick or hurt. In addition to all the many valid reasons cited above, I would add this: in doing the interview, CJ drew attention to himself and was a distraction to the team getting ready for a bowl game. Kirk doesn't like his players drawing attention to themselves, doesn't much hanker to distractions. Just a hunch here: CJ now occupies the much-used spot formerly occupied by DJK in Ferentz's doghouse.

Big money putting pressure on things at this point MIGHT be wishful thinking, but how can people be so adamant it is not??

There might not be enough of them banded together now but i would bet it's coming if this continues for a couple more years.

KF is proud to a fault. He doesn't want to get fired from THIS job.

I see next year's team worse than this one. And a downward trajectory given the poor recruiting. I still think it is possible he is getting pressure from somewhere. Hell maybe its just Brian. But he is going to have to change his ways or he eventually will be shown the door. Happens to most everybody in this business.

It would have happened already but lucky for him he has a BOOB for a boss.

KF doesn't have to worry about "money guys". Iowa doesn't have a powerful oz in the background pulling the strings like Ok St.

Plus what "power" do they have over him? His contract is the best contract ever written for a coach, he is gonna get paid no matter what. The only thing that I think you are correct on, is I'm sure no coach (including KF) wants to go out on a down note, or sour note. Yet the fact is it is coaching and I can only think of a handful of examples where the coaches leave on a high note (Hayden certainly didn't).

My prediction is CJ doesn't play a down this game, even if Jake is sick or hurt. In addition to all the many valid reasons cited above, I would add this: in doing the interview, CJ drew attention to himself and was a distraction to the team getting ready for a bowl game. Kirk doesn't like his players drawing attention to themselves, doesn't much hanker to distractions. Just a hunch here: CJ now occupies the much-used spot formerly occupied by DJK in Ferentz's doghouse.

I don't understand why he states that for the first time all season there is actually competition for spots on the depth charts, but then issues his "ultimatum". If he truly believes he is the better then take advantage of this opportunity and if he doesn't win the battle then leave. I just don't know he'd make a threat like that if he actually believes he's competing for a starting spot.

Your QB is your leader and you want him to set the tone for the team in terms of effort and preparation, and even though CJB could outperform Rudock I wondered if he felt the rest of the team would not have the proper effort or planning effecting the overall product of the team worse.

How much prep is needed to run a stretch play to a slow FB and throw a 2yd out. I must be missing something.

Didn't you know, football is soooo difficult to understand. You're not missing anything. Kirk's just not too bright.

I don't understand why he states that for the first time all season there is actually competition for spots on the depth charts, but then issues his "ultimatum". If he truly believes he is the better then take advantage of this opportunity and if he doesn't win the battle then leave. I just don't know he'd make a threat like that if he actually believes he's competing for a starting spot.

I'm not trying to kick up another 10+ page thread here, but food for thought…
Kirfer has mentioned the QB competition several different times since the two have been going at it. Could CJB's comment that it's "finally" a QB competition be a hint that maybe it's CJ perception/focus that's keeping it from being an all out competition?

Don't care who starts, but if whoever starts struggles 2-3 series, we really should see both QBS.

CJ should see 5-6 series unless JR is really on.

If KF really wants CJ to stay and if the QB competition is truly open, the staff should have 10+ plays for CJ regardless.

I'll pull for whoever takes the snaps, cause they both can perform.

I think that KF saw what the team did with JR at the helm in 2013, and how JR led that team to a 8 win season. I'm sure he just figured that we had better players and a better team overall so I'm sure he just assumed JR would led the team to an even better season. When you think about it, that isn't unreasonable to assume. Yet I think many others understood that the team was gonna struggle with JR at the helm with the way the UNI, Ball St. ISU, and Pitt games went down. That is why I started saying then the change needed to be made after the Purdue game to CJ. JR had played 1/3 of the season to that point, and it was obvious there were deficiencies in the offense with him at QB, that the team wouldn't have under CJ once he got some playing time and experience.

I just think KF struggles with adjustments. He is of the mindset that you play though struggles, stay the course, and things will get better. I think that has served him well in many aspects in life, and it is hard to let go of that when you are nearly 60.

I agree. I have no problem with Rudock starting based on last year's results. My point was he's a "made man" based on Kirk thinking he's a great kid. Rudock being a made man is why he didn't get pulled based on his preformance.

Big money putting pressure on things at this point MIGHT be wishful thinking, but how can people be so adamant it is not??There might not be enough of them banded together now but i would bet it's coming if this continues for a couple more years. KF is proud to a fault. He doesn't want to get fired from THIS job. I see next year's team worse than this one. And a downward trajectory given the poor recruiting. I still think it is possible he is getting pressure from somewhere. Hell maybe its just Brian. But he is going to have to change his ways or he eventually will be shown the door. Happens to most everybody in this business.It would have happened already but lucky for him he has a BOOB for a boss.
I don't think you should be calling Barta a boob. I like boobs.

I'm not trying to kick up another 10+ page thread here, but food for thought…
Kirfer has mentioned the QB competition several different times since the two have been going at it. Could CJB's comment that it's "finally" a QB competition be a hint that maybe it's CJ perception/focus that's keeping it from being an all out competition?
You really believe what clueless says? Open competition? Right. Clueless is a smug, arrogant, liar. If there truly were an open competition then CJ would be starting, and would have been for most of the season.

Don't care who starts, but if whoever starts struggles 2-3 series, we really should see both QBS.

CJ should see 5-6 series unless JR is really on.

If KF really wants CJ to stay and if the QB competition is truly open, the staff should have 10+ plays for CJ regardless.

I'll pull for whoever takes the snaps, cause they both can perform.

Both can perform? Who has Checkdown performed against? CJ saved his *** at Pitt. ISU? Nope. Ball State? For 5 minutes because they went in prevent mode. Maryland? Nope. Remember the 2yrd passes in the 2 minute drill? That's performing, wow. Wiscy? For 2 quarters maybe. Indy? One half. NW? Because they sucked. Illinois? They sucked more than NW. Minny? Jake was really performing well that game. Nebby? Horrible. 2 to's in red zone, and missed so many open receivers it was sickening. Who has Checkdown beat that mattered? Friggin nobody. This team will be worse next year with him at QB. You think any player has confidence in him as a leader or his ability to beat anyone? No.

CJ knows he's burning his bridges with KF. CJ also hopes against hope he has a more active part in Iowa football but refuses to be yanked around on playing time. Maybe CJ thinks if he refuses to be yanked around by the 'bully' he'll be treated 'more fairly'?

My guess is CJ is announcing he has a plan B,C,D, etc. after this season. All which may not include Iowa. This probably should be the headline of this post. Even though he wishes for more playing time at Iowa, he knows he can get more playing time elsewhere.

Don't forget CJ's father was one who greatly influenced CJ to come to Iowa and now dad seems to have great reservations with KF.

IMO, this is a done deal. CJ won't play in the bowl game and transfers before next season... Iowa can't recruit and when they luck into talent, they waste it.

Last edited: