Does Jon or anyone close to the program have any CJB practice details?

Win, you/we aren't going to get any insight into Ft. Kinnick. kfootball just doesn't allow information to leak out. So, we are left to draw our own conclusions from what we see and experience. kfootball stated CJ wasn't getting minutes due to bad practice. Visually, on the field in games CJ has played in, he has shown more talent than JR and a penchant at throwing deeper down field. JR has thrown the vast majority of his passes, short and underneath, almost exclusively, at times. So, we see a more talented qb that throws the ball (extremely well) down field riding the bench in favor of the less talented qb that throws (mostly) underneath and dump off passes, and this playing time is based off of practice, per kfootball. The conclusion I drew is as logical as any other.

I gave you some. Don't prepare, hard to handle the simulations that begin in earnest early each game week. If you have a handle on what you're seeing, you typically grade out better. it's that simple folks. CJ is learning this. We'll see if it's too little, too late. Earning the job has always been in his court....and Jake's.

I gave you some. Don't prepare, hard to handle the simulations that begin in earnest early each game week. If you have a handle on what you're seeing, you typically grade out better. it's that simple folks. CJ is learning this. We'll see if it's too little, too late. Earning the job has always been in his court....and Jake's.

Cecil, are you saying with absolute certainty that you know CJ:

* Does prepare?
* Couldn't handle simulations (which ones)?
* Didn't/doesn't understand what he's seeing?

Are you witness to these things or receiving this second or third hand? CJ certainly performs well enough during games to make you wonder about what you are stating.

I've always assumed that the difference between the 2 quarterbacks is:

1) very small
2) related to defensive recognition (getting into the right play)
3) decisions around which receiver the QB should go to

I have absolutely nothing to base this one.

I think you are making a bad comparison with Banks and I will tell you why.
1. Banks was a JUCO they do have a hard time transitioning a lot of times.
2. I remember Banks cost Iowa the Michigan game that year by not even knowing where the first down yard marker was on a play and going out of bounds that cost Iowa a key first down late in the game. Banks play his jr. season was not that great.
3. While Banks had a great season his sr. year, it was largely off a once in a 50yr or 100 yr type of offensive line. I am not completely discrediting Bank's effort but with a average line he might have only looked like a middle of the road conference QB his sr. season. The idea that Banks should have been the runner up in the Heisman is silly. Look at the way Seneca Wallace outplayed him earlier in the season with a bad offensive line.

The thing that no one seems to bring up when talking about that Michigan play is if McCann would have been under center on that play, he would have probably been sacked. McCann didn't have the natural ability to scramble for that 1st down so how did Banks "cost us the game"? His ability gave us our only chance to win that game.

Kirk had 2 chioces. Go with the guy who had no chance to make plays, or coach up the guy who could.

The thing that no one seems to bring up when talking about that Michigan play is if McCann would have been under center on that play, he would have probably been sacked. McCann didn't have the natural ability to scramble for that 1st down so how did Banks "cost us the game"? His ability gave us our only chance to win that game.

Kirk had 2 chioces. Go with the guy who had no chance to make plays, or coach up the guy who could.

McCann also threw 2 picks in that game and Banks 0..

[video=youtube;_3PlOSaAop0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3PlOSaAop0[/video]

McCann also threw 2 picks in that game and Banks 0..

When was the infamous run out of bounds short of the first down play? I thought it was 3rd quarter? I'm pretty sure it wasn't late in the game though. Just watched NCHAWKER's highlights and it was McCann on the final drive. That helps comfirm my thoughts that Banks did it earlier and never played again that game.

Cecil, are you saying with absolute certainty that you know CJ:

* Does prepare?
* Couldn't handle simulations (which ones)?
* Didn't/doesn't understand what he's seeing?

Are you witness to these things or receiving this second or third hand? CJ certainly performs well enough during games to make you wonder about what you are stating.

I have both attended practices, and also get second hand info from someone that does b/c they have access and live there. Portions of games is a small sample size for what is the totality of a gm plan.

This isn't to say CJ doesn't work hard.

CJ Beathard is starting the bowl game via Mitch King and Matt Kroul. Have a buddy that knows them. Not trolling just relaying what I heard.

CJ Beathard is starting the bowl game via Mitch King and Matt Kroul. Have a buddy that knows them. Not trolling just relaying what I heard.

I have no doubts that what you are saying is true. However, their sources may not be any different than ours. They just may be more confident.

If this is true, IMO, someone is pushing KF to do this. No way, Kurt does this on his own.

I have no insider info but if it were any other coach I would assume Beathard wasn't getting it done in practice. Since it's not any other coach. I assume it's just Kirk being Kirk. Last year the compitition was so close he went with the kid who works a little harder and had more of a "hope your daughter brings him home" personality. Once he went with that decision, it was no longer relevant what CJ did.

Ruddock became one of KFs made men by getting him back to a bowl game the previous year.

If this is true, IMO, someone is pushing KF to do this. No way, Kurt does this on his own.

This is my thought as well. Two possible explanations IMO.

Maybe some big money guys went to Bert and told him their checkbooks remain closed until they see a few changes. A good start would be to give Beathard a fair shot.

OR

KF is stubborn and a lot of other things, but he is not stupid. He doesnt want to go into next fall with Weigers as backup. A guy he openly mocked this year regarding his game readiness. And KF usually doesn't trust/play redshirt freshman at QB. Let alone true freshman.

So KF could be doing just enough to keep CJ here. KF knows it will be harder for him to transfer next year. But if I was CJ I wouldn't fall for it. He wont bench the senior Ruddock next year. When it really matters. This is just a meaningless bowl game with fall camp a distant 8 months away.

And please I dont want to hear from you apologists declaring KF is too classy for this. Please.

I just don't see KF doing this without pressure from somewhere, or ulterior motives. He had way too many opportunites to give CJ a legitimate shot during the season. Why now?

Ruddock became one of KFs made men by getting him back to a bowl game the previous year.

I'm going to have to disagree here. Rudock is a made man because he is a great kid. As stupid as it is, I don't think it had anything to do with on field performance. Other than not playing terrible that is.

I'm going to have to disagree here. Rudock is a made man because he is a great kid. As stupid as it is, I don't think it had anything to do with on field performance. Other than not playing terrible that is.

I think that KF saw what the team did with JR at the helm in 2013, and how JR led that team to a 8 win season. I'm sure he just figured that we had better players and a better team overall so I'm sure he just assumed JR would led the team to an even better season. When you think about it, that isn't unreasonable to assume. Yet I think many others understood that the team was gonna struggle with JR at the helm with the way the UNI, Ball St. ISU, and Pitt games went down. That is why I started saying then the change needed to be made after the Purdue game to CJ. JR had played 1/3 of the season to that point, and it was obvious there were deficiencies in the offense with him at QB, that the team wouldn't have under CJ once he got some playing time and experience.

I just think KF struggles with adjustments. He is of the mindset that you play though struggles, stay the course, and things will get better. I think that has served him well in many aspects in life, and it is hard to let go of that when you are nearly 60.

I don't have any nuggets to shed on this right now. Other than to just say I will be shocked if CJB starts. Quite shocked...based entirely on 16 years of KF observations and higher studies ;)

I would have guessed the percentage changes of that happening slightly better had CJ not gone outside the circle of trust this week...still, hard to believe anything other than JR starting would have been the outcome there, too.

I sure would love to be pleasantly surprised. Again, my opinions on this matter aren't derived from thinking JR is a bad QB. He is not a bad QB. On some of Kirk's teams that have had great defenses, he probably could have been a 10-game winner. But on this year's particular team, and what I think they will have next year, I think you need more out of your QB than just the guy who you think will make the fewest mistakes.

I don't have any nuggets to shed on this right now. Other than to just say I will be shocked if CJB starts. Quite shocked...based entirely on 16 years of KF observations and higher studies ;)

I would have guessed the percentage changes of that happening slightly better had CJ not gone outside the circle of trust this week...still, hard to believe anything other than JR starting would have been the outcome there, too.

I sure would love to be pleasantly surprised. Again, my opinions on this matter aren't derived from thinking JR is a bad QB. He is not a bad QB. On some of Kirk's teams that have had great defenses, he probably could have been a 10-game winner. But on this year's particular team, and what I think they will have next year, I think you need more out of your QB than just the guy who you think will make the fewest mistakes.

I had just posted that to most it was obvious after the Purdue game this was the case......You can't just keep playing this crap so close to the vest and wait for other teams to make mistakes. You need to step onto the field and TAKE what the other team has, you need to be the bullies. I haven't seen that out of an Iowa team since 2008 and 2009....which is incredibly disappointing since that is what KF built this program on in the early 00's.

No way does KF let anyone push him to do anything. He isn't afraid for his job, he holds all the power and all the cards.

My gawd... Every bit of THIS!! Those that truly feel it's big $$$ calling any of the shots are either extremely desperate or naive.

Latest posts