Does Iowa Need To Play More Physical On Defense?

MelroseHawkins

To me, Fran's teams often play "soft". Rutger's laid out the perfect template to beat Iowa and offset Iowa's size, length advantage and great shooting. Iowa was ranked I believe 12th in the nation in offensive efficiency and pretty much tied with Michigan St in the BIG.

Rutgers, like Mich St., got right up in the Iowa players mugs and did not give Iowa's guards any space. Michigan St. does the same when playing, with much success. Rutgers could afford to do this as they were willing to sacrifice fouls because of their depth. We've complained about Fran's depth he plays in the past as he typically could go 10 or 11 players. I realize Nunge is redshirting and Pemsl is out, but he has gone that deep in the past and could next year as well. This makes me wonder, should Iowa ramp up the physicality and be willing to sacrifice more fouls? Bang a little more or be willing to play with more contact? This clearly gets into Iowa's head when they play teams that do that. If you struggle to play clean defensive ball, maybe a team should go that route, especially with deep teams. Why the hell not? Soft play is not getting Iowa anywhere, but having a 121 rating or above in defensive efficiency.

We all know how Mich. St. gets away with a lot of contact or not every hit on the arm is called. In games, the more contact the more the refs are going to have to let go, IMO, or they are going to be blowing the whistle every other play. I think after time, it's human nature just to not see certain things after time. This is how Mich. St. can dictate how games are called.

I think many will point out that you worry that Iowa's free throw made advantage will shrink considerably or go away, but that hasn't been paying big dividends lately anyway. Iowa struggles in games where physical play is allowed.

I just think they need to play a bit more physical and a bit more scrappy, even if more fouls are called. They can't play soft anymore.

Thoughts ?

Ah, yeah. Absolutely. They’re a team that constantly gets pushed around. It seems like they’re easily intimidated.

Rutgers said after the last game to “wait until next time we play” and they came out swinging.. Iowa just bent right over for them and showed no heart/fight.

The team is way too soft, and soft mentally.

Ah, yeah. Absolutely. They’re a team that constantly gets pushed around. It seems like they’re easily intimidated.

Rutgers said after the last game to “wait until next time we play” and they came out swinging.. Iowa just bent right over for them and showed no heart/fight.

The team is way too soft, and soft mentally.

All you have to do with Iowa is be physical with our guards. They fold like a cheap suit. They hate it. This also offsets our offensive play with our BIG guys as they can't get the ball into them like they would like. Often Cook or Garza end up getting the ball at the top of the key with the shot clock running out.

To me, Fran's teams often play "soft". Rutger's laid out the perfect template to beat Iowa and offset Iowa's size, length advantage and great shooting. Iowa was ranked I believe 12th in the nation in offensive efficiency and pretty much tied with Michigan St in the BIG.

Rutgers, like Mich St., got right up in the Iowa players mugs and did not give Iowa's guards any space. Michigan St. does the same when playing, with much success. Rutgers could afford to do this as they were willing to sacrifice fouls because of their depth. We've complained about Fran's depth he plays in the past as he typically could go 10 or 11 players. I realize Nunge is redshirting and Pemsl is out, but he has gone that deep in the past and could next year as well. This makes me wonder, should Iowa ramp up the physicality and be willing to sacrifice more fouls? Bang a little more or be willing to play with more contact? This clearly gets into Iowa's head when they play teams that do that. If you struggle to play clean defensive ball, maybe a team should go that route, especially with deep teams. Why the hell not? Soft play is not getting Iowa anywhere, but having a 121 rating or above in defensive efficiency.

We all know how Mich. St. gets away with a lot of contact or not every hit on the arm is called. In games, the more contact the more the refs are going to have to let go, IMO, or they are going to be blowing the whistle every other play. I think after time, it's human nature just to not see certain things after time. This is how Mich. St. can dictate how games are called.

I think many will point out that you worry that Iowa's free throw made advantage will shrink considerably or go away, but that hasn't been paying big dividends lately anyway. Iowa struggles in games where physical play is allowed.

I just think they need to play a bit more physical and a bit more scrappy, even if more fouls are called. They can't play soft anymore.

Thoughts ?
Yes Yes Yes! If overmatched play harder. Try More. Effort or Desire no? Does wonders. Ask AW.

All you have to do with Iowa is be physical with our guards. They fold like a cheap suit. They hate it. This also offsets our offensive play with our BIG guys as they can't get the ball into them like they would like. Often Cook or Garza end up getting the ball at the top of the key with the shot clock running out.
I absolutely agree. But quite frankly, our bigs have to set the softest screens.. it seems like Iowa has to work so extremely hard to get a good look, but other teams have open looks all the time. It seems like every shot is contested or forced up with the shot clock running down.

If this team doesn’t run and gun on fast breaks, they’re going to have hard time winning due to a very weak half court offense.

The problem with this approach is you need greater speed than we currently have. The closer you get to your man when play defense, the easier it is for him to blow by you.
Agree.But Desire and Effort CREATE options.Didn't the CHAIRMAN of Board have song sorta like "High Hopes" And it had blue collars ANTS? WIN next game ok??

My favorite part about teams playing so physically against us is the 2nd half where they murder us on one end and dont get fouled but we breath on them and get called. All in an attempt to even out the foul calls

I absolutely agree. But quite frankly, our bigs have to set the softest screens.. it seems like Iowa has to work so extremely hard to get a good look, but other teams have open looks all the time. It seems like every shot is contested or forced up with the shot clock running down.

If this team doesn’t run and gun on fast breaks, they’re going to have hard time winning due to a very weak half court offense.

They had to work so hard against freaking RUTGERS, for cripes sakes! It was a chore to get a good look.

The problem with this approach is you need greater speed than we currently have. The closer you get to your man when play defense, the easier it is for him to blow by you.

I thought about that. When is it at that point you have to take the risk or at least try it?

Wieskamp can seem to stay with his player pretty well. I realize Garza and Kreiner can get blown by if they get a mismatch out on a wing. But are we really that much slower with our true guards or wings, or is it mostly bad spacing or trying to play too clean?

Last edited:
I’d be happy if they simply started playing something that resembles defense, we aren’t physical enough at any position to impose our will.

I think this approach works in conference play. But it isn’t allowed in the NCAA Tournament. I realize we haven’t had recent success in the NCAA Tournament. But I believe we are starting to upgrade our talent each year.

I don’t think we should ever give up a layup. Send them to the line...especially Happ on Thursday. But I’m not in favor of a physical/thuggish style overall. Michigan doesn’t play this style and has been the conference’s most successful NCAA team in recent years.

Michigan clearly has more talent and a bigger name. One downside of playing what I consider “clean” basketball is landing on the 7-10 seed line in the NCAAs. Rutgers, OSU and others are looking better lately. But that’s only because the refs have started the annual swallowing of the whistles IMO.

We have played solid D on occasion this season

The first half and 5 minutes into the second half against Michigan State at Carver was very good, but we wore down and the Spartans went on one of their patented 20 point runs

Besides playing solid D the entire game, with swarming zones the entire game is call the F***ing TimeOuts when we are getting slaughtered on offense and defense

Stop the bloodly beatdown for at least a while and hope the momentum shifts

We are capable of playing very good D, but the season has taken it's toll once again, however the should be a problem for all the teams, not just the Hawks. It is time for us to take advantage of that factor

This is still time to salvage the good will earned this season with a strong showing in Madison and a victory in Lincoln

We shall see and we

Weep or bask in the Glory

They had to work so hard against freaking RUTGERS, for cripes sakes! It was a chore to get a good look.

When you get worked by Buttgers, something's up. And my bet is if Iowa tried to play physical on the perimeter, they'd get called for everything cause they are supposed to be finesse.

Don't get mad, I think only Basketball God only smile on Iowa when he wants to.
god%20of%20basketball.png

Physical teams get the benefit of the officiating as the year goes on. Refs just expect them to be physical so they start allowing it. They know we aren't physical so they still call touch fouls on us.

Bob Huggins has built a career on this fact.

My favorite part about teams playing so physically against us is the 2nd half where they murder us on one end and dont get fouled but we breath on them and get called. All in an attempt to even out the foul calls

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people argue about or complain about referees distribution of calls on teams in a game. If it's a foul, it's a foul. Call it. I don't care how skewed calls are for one team or another. Refs shouldn't try to even calls out. Just call fairly for both sides.

Physical teams get the benefit of the officiating as the year goes on. Refs just expect them to be physical so they start allowing it. They know we aren't physical so they still call touch fouls on us.

Bob Huggins has built a career on this fact.

Agree. I mean it's a crap shoot going into the NCAA. Who knows what referee crew you are going to get. If they let physical play dominate, Iowa is screwed unless they can change gears and match it. It they call a game pretty tight, this plays into Iowa's game and gives Iowa a chance to make a little bit of a run in the tournament.