Does Iowa have the psychological edge going into MSU?

I like the MSU match-up. We get to see how good our offensive line really is. They have played well since the first week of the season, but the competition has been no where near what it will be in East Lansing. This will be fun to watch. JVB has to play well and be accurate with the football. We need to move the chains to keep our D fresh, otherwise this may get ugly.

MSU's offensive line has struggled...but the big thing with MSU is drops. Their receivers are dropping everything. It's absolutely killed them in their big games. People underestimate the impact of dropped balls. They change the game just like a turnover...and put your defense back on the field prematurely. Their offensive coordinator...an Iowa guy no less (Clinton, IA) was talking about it the other day. It's bogged them down and changed momentum in the games they have lost.

I'm concerned about the size of the interior of the MSU DL. If they get penetration, we are screwed as the outside zone gets deeper and gives the LB's and Safties more time to get to the ball. To me, that is the key to the offense this week. Their DT's are freaking huge too.

I certainly hope we load the box also, but that just doesn't sound like us. Their offense is poor, but it is built exactly right to attack our shortcomings on defense. A power running game, with a powerful running back...if they ram it up the gut, look out.

Have you not watched any game film this year? We've been selling out to stop the run. We've done it on multiple occasions. 8 guys in the box/press/man etc. This ain't Normie's old defense anymore! I like it, and i like our chances.

Real question is: How many times will an MSU player fake an injury? I'll put the over/under at 4.5

.5 injury? How's that happen? The guy lays there until the cart comes out, then suddenly pops up and sprints back to the huddle!?

.5 injury? How's that happen? The guy lays there until the cart comes out, then suddenly pops up and sprints back to the huddle!?
You must not gamble too often.
If you set the over under at 4, then you can tie. 4.5, and you can't tie :cool:

But if any team was capable of finding a way to create a "half" injury, it would be MSU.

You must not gamble too often.
If you set the over under at 4, then you can tie. 4.5, and you can't tie :cool:

But if any team was capable of finding a way to create a "half" injury, it would be MSU.

I was trying to make a "half" funny.
And I have gambled before... Now I have 3 kids (half funny, again).

I'm going with the last scene in "The Replacements," where Gene Hackman told his players they had a very dangerous weapon working for them. There was no tomorrow, meaning they had nothing to lose.

Iowa is in a similar situation. Although improving in many ways except for Weisman no one is taking them all that serious. As far as expectations go Iowa has nothing to lose. Time to play lights out and *****-slap Sparty.

Iowa's winning this one. Stop being a bunch of wieners and recognize that.

Yes they are. Hard work and a game plan MSU has never seen Iowa have before, will help. Plus MSU will go out this week and beat up on Indy and feel all buttercup and rosey going into the following week. Meanwhile our guys have two... well ok more time then normal to prepare. I have not decided yet on the final score, but Iowa wins.

I think so. They have to be looking right past us. They know we suck. This is a perfect opportunity for a big road win. I am pumped!!! We win by a FG.

I think so. They have to be looking right past us. They know we suck. This is a perfect opportunity for a big road win. I am pumped!!! We win by a FG.

Possibly. Their next 3 games after us are Michigan, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. I think Dantonio no likey KF, so I don't think he looks past.

Possibly. Their next 3 games after us are Michigan, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. I think Dantonio no likey KF, so I don't think he looks past.
I wonder how Sparty is thinking about this game at the physical level with that kind of stretch? Year in and year out this matchup is usually the most physical game Iowa plays. Think of all the players we have lost, some for the season, w/ injuries since at least the 2008 game against these guys. I have to think if the Hawks really bring it we might catch them w/ a "we are going to do just enough to win" mind set. This game really is the cornerstone of the season for the Hawkeyes. It's the first of four tough conference games in a row for Sparty. Imagine if we were looking at MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Nebraska as our next four games? Coach would be wondering if we get through that stretch w/ out injuries, let alone wins. In Dantonio's case he certainly isn't looking past Iowa, a program he wanted to emulate early on, but the perceived weakness of Iowa and the marathon stretch may skew his approach to the game plan. If the Hawkeyes go into this thing ready to rock then they just might win it.

Latest posts