Does Iowa have the psychological edge going into MSU?

Notre DAme scored points on them because of a good run game coupled with innovation. I hope Kirk lets Greg be innovative.

The game will ultimately come down to 2 things:

#1: JVB absolutely has to calm down and focus. By calming down, he must stand tough in the pocket; take a few knocks but trust his protection and wait that extra second for the route to clear downfield. It's the only way to get them to back off the blitzkrieg. By focusing, he simply has to be more consistent, decisive and accurate.

#2: Quick, decisive passes -- slants, curls and sit-downs. Not 5-outs or swings, which can be sloppy, but curls and sit-downs that are more crisp and allow the receiver to screen the defender. This will essentially become the "rushing" yards to soften them up for play-action. I see KMM and CJ having the potential for huge games if utilized properly.

Hope the bye week is used to simplify and attack.

Iowa played awful after their bye last year. Unless Iowa has been just acting like they are really bad...they dont have an edge.

On the surface you'd think we'd be in trouble. But the fact is we match up well with Sparty. No question the Hawks have to play their best game to win, avoid turnovers and make a big play...but we have a shot.

Maybe we can do to Sparty what they did to us last year. Our fat, toilet-clogging d-linemen can fake injuries to slow down thier offensive momentum, taking 2 minutes to waddle off the field.

Oh, never mind. Iowa doesn't have any fat, toilet-clogging d-linemen.

As long as they have realistic expectations of what they have to do to win...

Two teams w/ mediocre (at best) offenses, two teams w/ pretty good defenses. Hard to say how healthy Sparty will be, but Iowa should be healthier. Meyer is much more consistent than Conroy so Iowa has an edge in the kicking game. This is going to look a lot like the ISU and BSU games-ugly Os and some pretty gritty defense. Turnovers are the key, the team that takes best care of the ball is going to win. I can see two TDs, one O and one D, and two or three FGs. We get a couple interceptions and a fumble recovery but only turn it over one time. Conroy chokes on a chance to send it to overtime and we win 20-17.

If Iowa gets the win you can be sure they will have a psychological edge the rest of the season. This is, and always has been, the "make or break" game of this season for the Hawks. A loss here and they should concentrate on building next year's team. It's really that simple.

On the surface you'd think we'd be in trouble. But the fact is we match up well with Sparty. No question the Hawks have to play their best game to win, avoid turnovers and make a big play...but we have a shot.

This Iowa team matches up well against sparty in East Lansing, How so?

Iowa's medicre offense is going to go up against the top defense in the B1G. It is not a good matchup and it will be painful to watch. On the other side, Iowa's defense, which has performed above expectations is going up against a struggling MSU offense. However, MSU's offense is still better than Iowa's. So based upon those factors and the away game factor...It's going to a long game for us Hawk fans.

I think our D can keep us in the game. Our secondary is playing well, and we can stack the box against Bell, who is vastly overrated.

That said, I think MSU can stop Weisman and I think Ray Charles could stop JVB.

If I were to predict right now, I'd say MSU 17, Iowa 3.

Let me preface this by saying I think MSU will win, because Iowa has bi-polar disorder this season.

Comments about the MSU defense being the best in the Big Ten are true, but this season that doesn't take much to be the best defense. This isn't the type of defense that Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan were putting out for much of the 2000's. They have flaws, and give up yards.

They gave up 383 yards to OSU at home, and 179 of those were rushing yards. OSU had 3 turnovers to ZERO for MSU.

ND rushed for 122 yards on MSU in East Lansing and won 20-3. MSU had 1 turnover.

Michigan State leads the league in total defense, Iowa is second....although, MSU has played a tougher schedule.

MSU leads the league in scoring defense at 12.8 ppg, Iowa is 4th at 17.4 ppg.

Where I was surprised was how bad the MSU offense is. We think Iowa's offense stinks. Yikes. Iowa is averaging 2.6 ppg more than MSU, who is last in the Big Ten in scoring. The difference is that Iowa's offense has been waking up lately, and Michigan States has been spinning its wheels.

Granted, MSU has played a better schedule, so even in the categories where Iowa looks better, you have to give the nod to MSU because their numbers came from going up against better competition.

The game will ultimately come down to 2 things:

#1: JVB absolutely has to calm down and focus. By calming down, he must stand tough in the pocket; take a few knocks but trust his protection and wait that extra second for the route to clear downfield. It's the only way to get them to back off the blitzkrieg. By focusing, he simply has to be more consistent, decisive and accurate.

#2: Quick, decisive passes -- slants, curls and sit-downs. Not 5-outs or swings, which can be sloppy, but curls and sit-downs that are more crisp and allow the receiver to screen the defender. This will essentially become the "rushing" yards to soften them up for play-action. I see KMM and CJ having the potential for huge games if utilized properly.

Hope the bye week is used to simplify and attack.

What? Those two things are exact opposites.
#1 Standing in the pocket and waiting the extra second is not how you beat a blitz. There are no "extra seconds" vs a blitz. That is a recipe for a sack bonanza.
#2 How does running short routes like curls and sitdowns "soften up a defense"?
Softening up a defense means getting them out of the box and backing off a little. That doesn't benefit play action.
I don't mean this to sound like I am attacking you, but I don't think you know what you are talking about. It sounds like you are throwing out football jargon and buzzwords without knowing what they mean.

The more I think about it, the more I see this like Penn State last year. Iowa's defense will keep them in the game, but the offense will never really be a threat to score. MSU gets a td late and wins 13-3, or something like that.

Where I was surprised was how bad the MSU offense is. We think Iowa's offense stinks. Yikes. Iowa is averaging 2.6 ppg more than MSU, who is last in the Big Ten in scoring. The difference is that Iowa's offense has been waking up lately, and Michigan States has been spinning its wheels.

Granted, MSU has played a better schedule, so even in the categories where Iowa looks better, you have to give the nod to MSU because their numbers came from going up against better competition.

MSU wheels are SPINNING Offensively because they have faced much better teams.

The more I think about it, the more I see this like Penn State last year. Iowa's defense will keep them in the game, but the offense will never really be a threat to score. MSU gets a td late and wins 13-3, or something like that.

I'm sorry but some of you are in for a very rude awakening come Oct 13th. The only way Iowa holds MSU to 13 points in East Lansing is if there is a MONSOON or BLIZZARD..

The 5 games I've watch of Iowa so far hasn't given me any confidence heading into East Lansing.

Last edited:
Greg Davis has to go back to the drawing board and put together a special game plan for Sparty.
They will stop our Weisman run game on first and second down,so come out throwing on early downs,and then run after we get a lead. Their offense is suspect,with receivers who cannot seem to catch the ball.
Play the run, make Maxwell and the WR s beat us.

Greg Davis has to go back to the drawing board and put together a special game plan for Sparty.
They will stop our Weisman run game on first and second down,so come out throwing on early downs,and then run after we get a lead. Their offense is suspect,with receivers who cannot seem to catch the ball.
Play the run, make Maxwell and the WR s beat us.

Michigan state has already lost two games, and there is no way Iowa will sneak up on them this year. There was some controversy about the Ohio state tape exchange, and they will have plenty of reasons to get fired up for their next two games. I can't see Michigan state going to one of the lower bowls, and I can't see Iowa going to a bowl this year.

Michigan state has already lost two games, and there is no way Iowa will sneak up on them this year. There was some controversy about the Ohio state tape exchange, and they will have plenty of reasons to get fired up for their next two games. I can't see Michigan state going to one of the lower bowls, and I can't see Iowa going to a bowl this year.

So,just give up? MSU was top 5 in 2010 and Iowa crushed them....never say never.

Latest posts