Does Iowa accept visits from other verbal commits?

So many people can't seem to get that it wasn't the visits themselves, but the way he went about it (taking them without talking to the coaches and then denying it when confronted). We have had multiple recruits visit other schools and they're still Hawkeyes.

I get it, but truthfully why does it matter? I get that it seems shady if he's doing it behind coaches backs, but its unknown the level of interest if any exist. He's 17 or 18, he could be making trips to see a great game and get a game day experience, he could be doing it to get a way for a weekend, see friends. We have no idea how vested he was/is in these other programs and therefore based on our coaches opinion it is simply better to revoke the offer? All that does is completely remove any chance that he stays committed to Iowa.

These analogies all fail. There is no signing period for jobs. I know of people who have no-showed on their first day at a job at entry levels in my company. You hire another person and you have an open position for 5 weeks instead of 2. These analogies about dating or marriage or jobs are dumb and the flat out accusations that Eno lied are worse. We don't know that.

LOLOLOL. You're insinuating that Eno's offer was pulled, but you don't know that for fact since Kirk or any of the Iowa coaches are prohibited from talking about it.

NO ONE has said that he lied. Eno said it wasn't his choice. Yes its one side of the story but we have evidence of one statement and no evidence of the other.

These analogies all fail. There is no signing period for jobs. I know of people who have no-showed on their first day at a job at entry levels in my company. You hire another person and you have an open position for 5 weeks instead of 2. These analogies about dating or marriage or jobs are dumb and the flat out accusations that Eno lied are worse. We don't know that.

As I said in my other post, you also don't KNOW that the Iowa staff pulled his offer.

I don't disagree with this at all, but in response to it you're going to do 1 of 2 things. You're either going to continue recruiting others until the guy signs on the dotted line (which means you may hire someone else and leave guy #1 out in the cold), or you're going to decide that you really don't want employees that aren't honest and committed anyway and move on.

Either strategy could be a perfectly legitimate argument, and to call someone an idiot for either is crazy.

I would agree with this 100% if the two applicants/players were similar. The problem is, I simply don't see this staff getting a commitment from another top 10 RB to take his place. I simply think you put it on the player. I don't see there being any shame in losing a recruit the way we lost Higdon. What bothers me, and I think many others, is the fact that we're breaking off ties with a player that had was still verbally committed to us. And it pains me to say that if we did lose him, would there be that much of a difference in an 11th hour commit if we're just going to offer someone committed elsewhere that we didn't have an offer for previously.

I would agree with this 100% if the two applicants/players were similar. The problem is, I simply don't see this staff getting a commitment from another top 10 RB to take his place. I simply think you put it on the player. I don't see there being any shame in losing a recruit the way we lost Higdon. What bothers me, and I think many others, is the fact that we're breaking off ties with a player that had was still verbally committed to us. And it pains me to say that if we did lose him, would there be that much of a difference in an 11th hour commit if we're just going to offer someone committed elsewhere that we didn't have an offer for previously.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. If in my mind I truly can't trust them, I'm passing on the candidate even if I have to hire someone with slightly less talent.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. If in my mind I truly can't trust them, I'm passing on the candidate even if I have to hire someone with slightly less talent.

I see your point, but I see it as a non issue. I don't see a difference between a candidate that shops around as opposed to offering and accepting a scholarship to someone that had committed to someone else. That said, if we want to be considered equal to the elites, we have to recruit the elite level talent. Our staff known for their ability to delevop players, if true I would love to see us consistently developing 4* kids as opposed to 2*.

I think if you set a stupid stipulation and then call it a failure of trust when a kid behaves like a normal kid then you're in the wrong. This kid didn't get a DUI, he didn't assault a girl, he broke a rule that is arguably stupid and archaic.

I think if you set a stupid stipulation and then call it a failure of trust when a kid behaves like a normal kid then you're in the wrong. This kid didn't get a DUI, he didn't assault a girl, he broke a rule that is arguably stupid and archaic.

Not saying I agree with the rule at all. My opinion takes into account what I've read about Eno both not telling the coaches and then initially denying that he took the visits when confronted. Now I've only read that and I can't be 100% it's accurate, but wouldn't you think there is something more in play here than him simply taking visits after committed? I mean, Drew Ott and Noah Fant both took visits after committed and still ended up Hawks. There is more to the story, and unfortunately it will be speculation because our coaching staff both can't and won't go into the details.

From what I understand KF does makes contact with players that have committed to a school but says if the player says he is a solid commit that his staff backs off. Now I don't know if true or not as I heard this on s podcast I believe.

I hope you read the article. It makes it clear that Kirk makes recruiting harder for himself than it need be. Kirk could've said to Eno, "I want you to be the guy who goes on official visits and recruits top talent from other schools over to Iowa. You'll be my secret double-agent."

Eno likely would've found that exciting and bought into it. To put it simply KF could've taken a negative and turned it into a positive.

But KF handicaps himself in recruiting just like he does when his team is playing offense. Why? Zero creative thinking inside of his cranium. He makes everything harder on himself by never thinking outside the box. Which is the opposite of what Harbaugh; Meyer; Saban; etc. do.

Last edited:
I hope you read the article. It makes it clear that Kirk makes recruiting harder for himself than it need be. Kirk could've said to Eno, "I want you to be the guy who goes on official visits and recruits top talent from other schools over to Iowa. You'll be my secret double-agent."

Eno likely would've found that exciting and bought into it. To put it simply KF could've taken a negative and turned it into a positive.

But KF handicaps himself in recruiting just like he does when his team is playing offense. Why? Zero creative thinking inside of his cranium. He makes everything harder on himself by never thinking outside the box. Which is the opposite of what Harbaugh; Meyer; Saban; etc. do.
You've been on a roll the last few days. I love it!

From what I understand KF does makes contact with players that have committed to a school but says if the player says he is a solid commit that his staff backs off. Now I don't know if true or not as I heard this on s podcast I believe.

Not according to So Proud Paul Rhoads when he threw a fit about it with Lazard

And when would Kirk have come up with this strategy, after the first time Eno lied to him? If there is one trait you want in your star secret double-agent, dishonestly would have to be at the top of the list....

Everybody lies. Kids do and coaches do. So who cares about that. The kid lied because of course he knew KFs ‘policy’ before visiting. He had his reasons for going whatever they were. He has the right to do it. Every kid does. I don’t think KF is used to recruiting the TOP talent nowadays. I know he had that ‘great’ class with Jake C, Moeaki etc in it but times have changed even since then most would agree in the recruiting world. First of all kids are kids. You draw a line in the sand and they’ll go right up to it and try and find a creative way around it. That’s human nature. But to treat a kids like Eno and Calloway like they are of the same importance as the 2 stars just isn’t the way to do it. At least not at this stage of the game. Once everyone is signed sealed and on campus then it’s game on best players play. But that’s not recruiting. To get the best kids to come you have to have a way of communicating with them that makes them WANT TO COME. Not afraid to leave or just look around. And I'm not even going to rehash the obvious when it comes to how Iowa welcomes other committed kids to come visit/flip to us.... So one sided but that's football in KFs world..

Pretty much all of this.

We all know that Iowa has disadvantages (as we hear ALL THE TIME on podcasts, and from KF himself). So with this being known, why do we continue to limit ourselves? It is exactly like our offense. Run a Read/Option Route scheme for WR, which limits any young talent on the field, and with the struggles, do not adapt and blame it on execution.

I don't think many of us are asking for KF to break NCAA rules to get guys here, or to do things in a shady manner. But to create a rule that puts a limitation on kids, knowing the recruiting game is all about show, just seems stupid.

We all want the best character kids to commit, and to honor that commitment. But we're living in a fantasy world for that to happen 100% of the time. Real life doesn't work out exactly how we all want it, there is no utopia coming.

The staff could do more to be less archaic and old school to try and get the best players possible. If the Big10 wasn't so top heavy with the good teams, I'm not sure Iowa even goes to bowls. But we have one of the worst OOC schedules in the country, and routinely lose a game, and then we play some of the worst Big10 schools year in and year out.

2010 was the last season where I felt the schedule was tough. MSU, WI, OSU had good teams....so starting with 2011 is when our schedule got much easier.

And we are 43-30 (going into this season). No bowl wins.

This is what bad recruiting and even worse schemes do. So instead of updating our methods, we stand pat with what we have always done, and we don't get the talent here to compete.

The problem is its not specifically about Eno and Calloway. It's about recruiting rankings. We can say what we want about stars, but numbers speak for themselves. You pull in a top 20 recruiting class it can be used as a recruiting tool to lure in other high profile recruits for years to come.

What's going to be a better selling point on the recruiting trail. "We've brought in three straight top 10 classes and would like you to be part of the fourth" or "We consistently rank toward the bottom of the conference in recruiting but feel like this class could be special".

I do not in any way want to disrespect the views of those who don't like KF's policy. That being said, I simply fail to understand why this policy is being viewed as a negative.

If a recruit begins to have doubts about his commitment to Iowa, then he should de-commit and begin to take visits and determine where he wants to be. I certainly have no problem with this action, and obviously we cannot stop a verbal commitment from being withdrawn by the athlete.

If he decides to come back to Iowa and we have a place for him, great. If his spot is gone, then that is fine, too, since Iowa will be fully justified in moving on with their recruiting to fill his spot. The kid needs to make a decision: He can take the bird in hand, or he can go out and look around the bushes. But he better know that he will have to let go of the bird in hand in order to begin the hunt. That is the process that makes complete sense to me.

Both the athlete and the school are treated as equals. They are NOT equal if the school is committed and the kid is still in the hunt.

Latest posts