Does Fran owe an apology

I think Fran is just thinking that he is standing behind one of his guys and I'm sure Woody is a special kid to Fran for the mere fact that he bypassed the opportunity to play for UNC to take a chance and play for Fran.

I get why he Fran is defending Woodbury so vociferously. The narrative is that Woodbury is a dirty player (from the jump ball thing to the eye pokes) and Fran doesn't agree (I would agree with him). But Fran ended up making it a much bigger deal with his reaction. Should have just said that he's not doing it intentionally, and move on from there.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Also Fran needs to remember that Dolf is doing the interview and had a right to ask what questions he wants to talk about. This is not Iowa football where we all my bow down and kiss KF's ring (how be it, it will NEVER be a national championship ring).

The call in show could be interesting tonight. I'm sure Fran will apologize and things will be fine. I just hope this crap is done because Iowa has played two good games in a row and this is talking center stage.

First off I am not talking about the press conference. I don't think Frans comment about the intelligent question or "cause I said so" was rude.

Of course it was rude. It was terrifically rude! The question wasn't rude, the answer was, and the second answer, following exactly the kind of irritable question the rude first answer got, doubled down and became condescending. The reality of that exchange isn't altered by talking to the media, or by whether the person who said it coaches a team you like. It was objectively rude.

I do think and hope that Fran would apologize to Dolph personally and professionally on this week’s call in show. I hope that after the interview he did. I think the way he snapped at Dolph for doing his job was uncalled for. Ok the eye poke happened and the question needed to be asked. I have always defended the way Fran gets after refs and the players in the game. Heat of the moment fighting for your team, but the why he talked down to Dolph was just ugly.

I didn't hear this, but, if he talked down to the guy, yes, that was rude, too.

Dakich was rude, too.

Now, whether any of these people should apologize for their rudeness...that stuff tends to be worked out in the long run. You accumulate too many of these, and all of the sudden, you know, people start being rude back, or they suddenly have less patience for you when you're struggling. Exhibit A: Ben Howland.

I have a hard time believing that the question gets put to bed if Fran simply states it was unintentional. Whether it was or not, I don't think its a statement that makes it "go away" and feel if Fran comes out and says it was unintentional the follow up questions become "do you really believe that" or something to the extent of "how many times can a player unintentionally poke a player in the eye during the course of a month". I'm not agreeing with the way Fran handled it, but I think his best response is to avoid any questions relating to the issue as he's done.

Fran has a player that he was on record as telling not to grab on the jump ball anymore and even stated he didn't know if he was doing it intentionally or if it was intentional if it's intentional IMO that is dirty. Now he has his 3rd eye poke. So is Woody a dirty player? Honestly your guess IMO is as good as mine.

Last edited:
First off I am not talking about the press conference. I don't think Frans comment about the intelligent question or "cause I said so" was rude. I just think that it was idiotic and kind of out of character from what we have seen from him in the past.

I do think and hope that Fran would apologize to Dolph personally and professionally on this week’s call in show. I hope that after the interview he did. I think the way he snapped at Dolph for doing his job was uncalled for. Ok the eye poke happened and the question needed to be asked. I have always defended the way Fran gets after refs and the players in the game. Heat of the moment fighting for your team, but the why he talked down to Dolph was just ugly.

What do you think should Fran apologize?

It was an idiotic question. I doubt the reporter was trying to be idiotic, but the truth of the matter is it was an Idiotic question. If you watch the three events in slow motion I can see why someone would think it was intentional, but the game isn't played in slow motion. Fran isn't being payed all the money to coach Iowa basketball to pacify some reporter at the cost of his team.

No. He owes an apology to no one. Screw ALL the media. If the conference has a problem with Woodbury, let them handle it with the Iowa coaching staff.

In 2 1/2 years as a starter, there have been 3 times someone was hit in the face/poked in the eye. How many times has an opposing player not been touched by Woodbury?

The way he plays defense is he extends and arm and his fingers extend towards a player. Contact is going to happen. He's trying to disrupt the offensive player by putting his hand in his face. Why is nobody talking about White getting fouled hard to his head? Why no flagrant foul on that play?

All you sensitive PC people need to grow a pair.

If White was fouled then you would have had to give that foul to the Ball for hitting him in the face. It was a good no call.

Fran has a player that he was on record as telling not to grab on the jump ball anymore and even stated he didn't know if he was doing it intentionally or if it was intentional if it's intentional IMO that is dirty. Now he has his 3rd eye poke. So is Woody a dirty player? Honestly your guess IMO is as good as mine.

Woodbury did it again on the jump yesterday, so that hasn't stopped yet.

B9Xzn-bCAAIdxEZ.jpg:large

First off I am not talking about the press conference. I don't think Frans comment about the intelligent question or "cause I said so" was rude. I just think that it was idiotic and kind of out of character from what we have seen from him in the past.

What do you think should Fran apologize?

Next question. Ask an intelligent question.

Last edited:
Congrats to Franmaniac. Just watched PTI. Great PR, if you want to become the Bo Pelini of basketball. The legend of Barta continues. I bet that women's Field Hockey coach is a real maniac.

To sit there and support an obvious act to injure someone is disturbing, and then have it all over the news is even worse.

Congrats to Franmaniac. Just watched PTI. Great PR, if you want to become the Bo Pelini of basketball. The legend of Barta continues. I bet that women's Field Hockey coach is a real maniac.

To sit there and support an obvious act to injure someone is disturbing, and then have it all over the news is even worse.

Obvious act to injure? Lol. Flagrant 1 is the exact opposite. Why no word from the B1G on any of these issues? Because they were obviously inadvertent. Oh and PTL has been hating on Iowa since its creation. Wilbon shouldn't even be on tv. It's obvious you care only about attacking this team.

Obvious act to injure? Lol. Flagrant 1 is the exact opposite. Why no word from the B1G on any of these issues? Because they were obviously inadvertent. Oh and PTL has been hating on Iowa since its creation. Wilbon shouldn't even be on tv. It's obvious you care only about attacking this team.

My comment stands. All you have to do is watch all three video clips. If you don't see it then so be it. Woodbury is who he is. The team needs toughness, but not bush league stuff. If it happens again, Fran and Barta will have plenty to deal with. I live in Omaha, so I am informed on "players" coaches, coaches who are hot heads and who think they own the media. Media and fans need to stop kissing A and deal with the issues, which Barta, Ferentz and Fran all have plenty to work on. Iowa has enough issues recruiting without McCaffery on TV being a jerk.

I really like Dolph and Bobby. They are NOT expected to be anything more than cheerleaders for the Hawkeye basketball (and football) teams. They know it and we should be able to figure it out. The "neutral media" is elsewhere and that is a planned program, although I have certainly heard Bobby and Dolph address questions that ask for some analysis by Fran, even at times to his detriment. I don't think Dolph meant anything inappropriate when he asked his question. Fran was not mad at Dolph, he was frustrated because he really could not address the question without being critical of the officials, which he simply cannot do.

Here is the deal: This officiating crew was the most inept group I have seen all year. Maryland was absolutely overly physical (read, "dirty") when they got behind in the first half and then went into a press that was a mugging, not a real press. They about knocked AW out of the game; Sapp, who is a tough guy, took a real shot to the face. The officials lost control in the first half and made some corrections in the second half; they called more fouls, but were still wrong about 2/3 of the time.

I can say this about the officials since Iowa won.

Latest posts