Does Ferentz HATE Dantonio?

Michigan St has been the most competitive, hardest-hitting rival that I recall. I witnessed some intense slugfests back in the Chuck Long/Ronnie Harmon era.

Is anyone familiar with a website that lists scores from this series from say the last 25 years? I went poking around but nothing quick and easy.

First of all, these are two sites you need to bookmark if you're a CFB fan. Maybe there are problems with them, but none that I know...
1) College Football Data Warehouse: I think it has every score for every season for every team...ever. Want to know the scores for Iowa-Camp Dodge (IA) game played on November 30th, 1918? You can find it here. (The score was a 0-0 tie, btw)
College Football Data Warehouse
2) College Football Statistics: This is a pretty up-to-date site with a lot of specific stats that you can even breakdown within the game.
cfbstats.com - College Football Statistics

Anyway, back on topic:
We're 22-18-2 against MSU all-time (since they joined the B1G in 1950s). Of the 42 games we've played, 19 games have been decided by 7 points or less. That doesn't count the 2 tie games.

From 2000-present, we are 6-3. The most we've lost by is 10 points (2003) and the most we've won by is 31 points (last year). 5 of the 9 games have been decided by 7 points or less (the 7 point game was an OT game, IIRC). Also, the Hawks are 5-0 at home against the Spartans since 2000. We're 1-3 at East Lansing.

1990-1999 (inclusive): 4-2. Biggest loss was by 46 (1999) and biggest win was by 14 (1995, which was also our last win at East Lansing before 2009). We were 2-0 at Kinnick and 2-2 at MSU.

From 1982 to 1990 (inclusive), we played the Spartans every year. In those games, we went 5-3-1. Those games were decided by the following point margins: 6, 6, 1, 4, 3, 5, 0 (tie), 3 and 5.

Incidentally, the last time MSU beat us at Kinnick was 1989... we lost that game 14-17.

The '08 and '09 games were some of the hardest hitting college games I've ever seen. Last year was a laugher right out of the gate so it was probably hard for Sparty to mentally get back into it and bring the wood like they did the previous two years. I expect this year to go back to a violent slugfest, unless another blowout starts early.

Kirk probably doesn't "hate" Dantonio, however I'm sure that he doesn't "love" him either and wants to stomp a mudhole in him.

If hating Dantonio means we come out with a higher level of intensity vs Michigan State than any other game...then yes, I hope Ferentz hates him with every inch of his soul.

i think last year proved that if Kirk does hate someone, its Dantonio. Kirk has only "run up the score" maybe twice ever in conference games, against Minny Mouse and the Brew-Crew, and last year against MSU.
Did we really "run up the score" last year? We put up 30 in the first half and finished with 37. In looking at the box score, it looks like we ran 30 second half plays and gained 88 yards. If anything the 2nd half played out a little more like we probably all expected the entire game to play out, but I don't know that I'd call it running up the score.

JMHO...

Latest posts