does dev marble

Your suppose to put LOL after that first comment.

Not until he gets more tatoo's, a concealed carry permit, makes a disgusting amount of Money, starts talking smack, and becomes a cartoon character. I think he is way too nice a young man to make it into the NBA.
Do I sense negative racial stereotyping? I think Marble's issue is going to be athleticism. He is not super explosive and has merely average lateral quickness. Not sure he can play NBA defense. His offensive skill is coming along. He is one of the few players with proper height/skills to fit a prototype NBA position.

Ghost GTH , this whole discusion of whether Marble being a NBA prospect doesn't even need to brought for 2 more years

Ghost GTH , this whole discusion of whether Marble being a NBA prospect doesn't even need to brought for 2 more years

I don't think he'll ever get there. He has an NBA body, but he is unexplosive, a mediocre defender, he is too thin to play NBA 3, and he doesn't have the shot to play NBA 2.

I don't think he'll ever get there. He has an NBA body, but he is unexplosive, a mediocre defender, he is too thin to play NBA 3, and he doesn't have the shot to play NBA 2.

Cosign. He's a good college player, but he is nowhere close to an NBA player at this point. First of all, who does he guard in the league? There's no way he could hang with the athleticism in the pros. Plus, he doesn't have a long range jump shot at this point. There have been college players light years ahead of Marble that haven't succeeded at that level, and that's no knock on Dev it's just the facts at this point.

Last edited:
I think "Nowhere Close" is a little strong but I do agree he is not explosive enough on offense and rebounding to make up for his lack of defense at this time. I love the kid on the court but seriously just watch him play defense on tape for awhile. It is not good at all.

He has two years to improve and grow up before we have to nash over this issue.

I was in the absolutely no shot camp until the last thread about this. Someone made a Brandon Roy comparison, which at first I dismissed until looking at his college stats, and it actually is a pretty solid base case scenario for Marble. Like Marble, Roy is long and tall but not overly athletic, he was also not a real solid outside shooter until his junior and moreso senior year in college. Roy was a much better defender than Marble currently is, but we'll see how he improves on that end over the rest of his career.

I still don't think Marble will make it, but I'll say he has at least a 5% shot now.

He is a fraction of the player his old man was, and Big Roy only played 30 games in the NBA.

I'm gonna get hated for saying this, but Sr. never had much of a jump shot. This is why he never made it in the NBA. Also, I seem to remember he wasn't the smartest dude on the squad.

He is the only guy on our current roster with even a hope for the NBA.
That said, he is still only 19? So, maybe he will physically mature more than we can envision in the next 2 years.

As he stands right now, I would say his chances are slim. He needs:

1. to shoot a lot better from distance.
2. get stronger,and taller,so he can play a small forward position.
3. work on lateral quickness to stay in front of his man on defense.

It is sooo hard to make the league. Now, sometimes guys land in the right place and fit a coach perfectly,and they stick. Devyn needs to lock himself in the practice facility and shoot 100,000 jumpers this summer. The one X factor on making the league is shooting ability. See Kyle Korver,who is no more athletic than Devyn,but wayyyy better at shooting.

Devyn will play pro ball, I am sure of that,but in the NBA? Keep working hard,young man,as you just never know.

He develops a shot I think he gets in late in the draft or signs as an undrafted FA. He'd have to put on some weight to be able to compete though but he's a sophomore in college so it's not remotely impossible that this happens.

He'd have to make it as a small forward though and that's a very tough position to make. You have to be able to do a lot at a high level to succeed at that position.

I really hope he works his *** off in the off season working on his shot. If he can start sticking jumpers on a regular basis he could be a great college player for sure.

Last edited:
Not until he gets more tatoo's, a concealed carry permit, makes a disgusting amount of Money, starts talking smack, and becomes a cartoon character. I think he is way too nice a young man to make it into the NBA.

This is one of the worst posts ever. Like in the history of the internet.

It is difficult to gain much improvement on explosiveness. With hard work he could easily improve the shooting to an NBA level. As far as being too thin, there are plenty of "yoked up" guys in the NBA who looked like Marble when they were 19.

i have all of these things, yet i am not in the league.

Let's look at some strengths...he is 6'7" and can already handle the ball and not turn it over against smaller quicker people. He's only 19, so there will be a big leap in the next couple of years with maturity and overall strength and explosiveness. Yes, I believe you can train to be more explosive...and this will happen. This kid could get to 6'8" and he is long...which may make up for a lack of quickness against smaller guards. IMO, if he works on the body and develops the 3-ball, at 6'8" with ball skills, he has a shot at the NBA.

If I'm Fran, this kid needs to work on some post moves also. Against man defense, he could create some serious match up problems and create all kinds of offensive options...he can pass from the post also.

It's all about how his body develops at this point. He needs to spend a few months with Doyle.

There is a reason that most guys get tracked into the NBA from high school, and it is because there are not many guys who develop NBA skills in college. The size and athleticism to become an NBA player are rarely developed in college; You either have it or you don't.

Roy does not have the quickness to play one, the shot to play 2, or the size to play three.

He can increase his quickness, but probably to the point where he can be a good Big 10 PG, not a NBA level PG.

He will probably never have a good enough shot to play 2 in the NBA. Right now, his career 3pt % is under 30%. That is dreadful, and he is shooting from a closer line. If he wants a sniff as a NBA 2, he will probably have to shoot over 40%

I also don't think he'll ever have the size to play NBA 3. His old man was the exact same size as RDM is now. If he wants to be effective at the 3, he will have to play at 220lbs minimum. Where is he going to put 20 more pounds?

He can probably make a fine living playing professionally in the minor leagues like Big Roy did, but I just don't see him ever being NBA material.

There is a reason that most guys get tracked into the NBA from high school, and it is because there are not many guys who develop NBA skills in college. The size and athleticism to become an NBA player are rarely developed in college; You either have it or you don't.

Roy does not have the quickness to play one, the shot to play 2, or the size to play three.

He can increase his quickness, but probably to the point where he can be a good Big 10 PG, not a NBA level PG.

He will probably never have a good enough shot to play 2 in the NBA. Right now, his career 3pt % is under 30%. That is dreadful, and he is shooting from a closer line. If he wants a sniff as a NBA 2, he will probably have to shoot over 40%

I also don't think he'll ever have the size to play NBA 3. His old man was the exact same size as RDM is now. If he wants to be effective at the 3, he will have to play at 220lbs minimum. Where is he going to put 20 more pounds?

He can probably make a fine living playing professionally in the minor leagues like Big Roy did, but I just don't see him ever being NBA material.

It's not unheard of for someone to put on 20 lbs or so just from growing. The dude's 19 so it's not like his body has stopped developing and who knows how much work he's done in the weight room.

He also has the benefit of having more teams in the league and I believe more roster spots (though this doesn't matter that much).

If he does make it (and I don't think he'd be a long term NBA player, I think he could earn a cup of coffee with strong JR and SR year showings) you are right though that it would have to be at the 3. I think a team could be intrigued by his length and the fact that he'd be able to handle the ball fairly well for a 3.

Last edited:
i actually think if anyone on the current roster has a chance, it would be White. i can see him doing just what Bowen did if he really commits to be a relentless rebounder.

agree with ghost on his assessment completely.

Whoever said you can't train to be more explosive is an idiot.

I added 6 inches to my vertical in a year from weightlifting and plyometric training.

I noticed my first step improved also.

Latest posts