Does anyone think Vandenberg will be /or is now a better quarterback than Stanzi?

HAWKEYESTATE, agreed group therapy...rough one, nice to hear ya vent...feel the same way, and it's not just a game...for those who like to say that

I really don't see my topic of discussion as dumb...thoughtful dissection of issues surrounding this team is what this forum is about...future or present

I definitely think that the question as to whether Vandenberg will end up being better is completely valid. But there's no way he'd be better for us right now. Maybe more talented, more fundamentally sound. But this is Ricky's team, bottom line. It's the intangibles that give him the edge (and a rather considerable one, at that). He's talented enough for the intangibles to put him on top. Vandenberg may have the same kind of moxie, but the upperclassmen on this team respond better to Ricky. The next "generation" of upperclassmen will be Vandy's.

HAWKEYESTATE, agreed group therapy...rough one, nice to hear ya vent...feel the same way, and it's not just a game...for those who like to say that

Totally agree, man. This one STILL stings, and probably will for awhile. I was asking myself yesterday why I invest so much of my heart into something that I ultimately cannot control. It is just the way I am made. Can't help it. I am passionate about everything in life, but the Hawks are at the top of the list after family and friends.

Today my girlfriend asked me if I was over the loss yet. I told her no, and I probably won't be until at least Saturday (more than likely later though...). She does not get it, and I don't expect her to. That is why I love coming on here and talking to most of you guys. Most of us here are the same. Out of all my Hawk friends, really only one of them TRULY understands and shares my relationship and obsession with the Hawks. The rest are Iowa fans, but they don't take it as "Seriously" as me...

Vandy saw significant/ meaningful mins in 3 games last year. had one good game last year (although 3 picks) and two bad games. Stanzi is freeking 20-3 in games he plays start to finish. Get over it. Vandy will get his shot NEXT year...

Vandy saw significant/ meaningful mins in 3 games last year. had one good game last year (although 3 picks) and two bad games. Stanzi is freeking 20-3 in games he plays start to finish. Get over it. Vandy will get his shot NEXT year...

That's actually not the right record. He didn't finish the ISU game in 2008, which we won. So he's 19-4 (he's got 4 losses: Arizona, Illinois 2008, Michigan State 2008, and Northwestern 2008).

Totally agree, man. This one STILL stings, and probably will for awhile. I was asking myself yesterday why I invest so much of my heart into something that I ultimately cannot control. It is just the way I am made. Can't help it. I am passionate about everything in life, but the Hawks are at the top of the list after family and friends.

Today my girlfriend asked me if I was over the loss yet. I told her no, and I probably won't be until at least Saturday (more than likely later though...). She does not get it, and I don't expect her to. That is why I love coming on here and talking to most of you guys. Most of us here are the same. Out of all my Hawk friends, really only one of them TRULY understands and shares my relationship and obsession with the Hawks. The rest are Iowa fans, but they don't take it as "Seriously" as me...

Right there with ya HAWKEYESTATE. Immediately after the game it didn't hit me how much this one hurts. I saw it happen was disappointed and didn't think about it too hard. It was almost like watching a team I didn't care about lose like it didn't mean anything. I began thinking the same things about why I put so much into the Hawks. No disappointment if some team loses a football game. And since then the world has been a little more grey. Not as much to look forward too. Just a general malaise. A little irritable with everyone at work and home, like a mini depression. It sucks but that is what being a fan is living and dying with your team. It makes it that much more interesting. If there weren't the downs would we know when there were ups?

As for Vandy some day yes. But now no. One thing I have yet to see Vandy do is get that touch pass over the linebackers in the middle, Stanzi seems to have that one down.

Last edited:
The answer is no. Stanzi is one of the best qbs in modern Iowa history. Ranks just behind Chuck Long and Hartleib. Vandenberg may be good, but qbs are judged by their records, and Stanzi's is hard to argue against.

If Jvb wins as much as Stanzi, the comparisons will still come down to styles of play. Stanzi is like Farve and Tate-a gunslinger who more often than not finds a way to win.

As ugly as the game was for us Hawk fans, now I'm seeing some Hawk fans getting uglier than the game. A lot of bitter opinions ripping at everything. Yikes! What needs more attention - the special teams or the EQ of some of these fans?

Is he more talented? Probably, he's a more polished passer. Would he win more games than Stanzi this season if he had been the starter from game 1? No.

I think JVB is a better quarterback. There I said it when no one else did. He has better arm strength, accuracy, and at times I have seen him make far better decisions than Stanzi. I also think he could throw a deep ball much better then Rick. With that said, do I think JVB should be starting? No, not right now. Give us 3 more losses and everyone will be saying, but with Ricky at QB I don't see 3 more losses. And when JVB starts next year he will immediately be compared to Ricky, lets hope he still has the weapons that Americanzi does.

Obviously Stanzi has experience and a great career record and I am not trying to start a QB controversy after one loss, but sometimes I lose confidence in Stanzi a little. He has done amazing things that I will always remember but, Once Vandenberg got his feet wet last year I loved the way he played. I think from the small amount I witnessed Vandenberg...I think he may have even more potential. Anyone beg to differ ?

Vandenberg won't see the field unless one of three things happen.
1. The game is a blowout
2. Rick gets hurt
3. Rick turns into JC6.

V-Berg will have his turn next year.

beans, what topic would you like to discuss? I think it's an interesting topic to speculate on...What was Vandenberg's win/loss record last year as a starter? stats? you must have something to base your disagreement on?????????

His record as a starter last year was 1-2. Surely you knew that.

I think JVB is a better quarterback. There I said it when no one else did. He has better arm strength, accuracy, and at times I have seen him make far better decisions than Stanzi. I also think he could throw a deep ball much better then Rick. With that said, do I think JVB should be starting? No, not right now. Give us 3 more losses and everyone will be saying, but with Ricky at QB I don't see 3 more losses. And when JVB starts next year he will immediately be compared to Ricky, lets hope he still has the weapons that Americanzi does.

JVB has completed 48% of his passes - where are you getting the better accuracy from? He also has a higher INT percentage so not sure why you would say he makes better decisions at this point. Do I think JVB has the potential to be good - yes... is he better than Stanzi at this point - no.

I really don't see my topic of discussion as dumb...thoughtful dissection of issues surrounding this team is what this forum is about...future or present

Thoughtful "dissection of the issues" would include taking other people's opinions seriously if they disagree with you.

Vburg is pretty solid but does anyone remember his performance against Minny last year? how many times did he get sacked? Overall I think stanzi is the better QB and I think he will still lead us to a great year this year. Vburg will get his time next year and hopefully will be a good QB, I have seen him play 2 1/2 games and one game he looked awesome, the other one not so much, so its up in the air right now.

Wow some people on here need to relax and read the question. Its a comparison. Some of these post are so offended they arent understanding hes not talking about taking Stanzis job away. Just talking folks...everyone set your guns down and step back.

Anyways Stanzi is a very good QB. I think the best thing he does is that he can make the worst play in the world and he just lets it go comes in the next play and starts over...That sure beats Tate trying to knock somone out cause he threw a pick.

Vandenburg has a great arm, I think he looks very calm for how much game time he has had. If you look at the EIU game he came in out of the blue and went 3for3. I think next year we will see a lot of Vandenburg to McNutt..........Touchdown Iowa!!!!

Obviously Stanzi has experience and a great career record and I am not trying to start a QB controversy after one loss, but sometimes I lose confidence in Stanzi a little. He has done amazing things that I will always remember but, Once Vandenberg got his feet wet last year I loved the way he played. I think from the small amount I witnessed Vandenberg...I think he may have even more potential. Anyone beg to differ ?

I suggest you back and watch the Minnesota game from last year. Unless Stanzi is hurt he is the guy plain and simple.