Does anyone think Vandenberg will be /or is now a better quarterback than Stanzi?

crews74

Obviously Stanzi has experience and a great career record and I am not trying to start a QB controversy after one loss, but sometimes I lose confidence in Stanzi a little. He has done amazing things that I will always remember but, Once Vandenberg got his feet wet last year I loved the way he played. I think from the small amount I witnessed Vandenberg...I think he may have even more potential. Anyone beg to differ ?

JVB will get his time. Stanzi is still the man as far as I am concerned. This loss is not on him. We beat AZ offense v defense and defense v offense. Coaching and special teams lost this game. Until Stanzi implodes on the field he is still the QB, and I support him 100%.

agreed, the main problem seems to be the o line... at this point, we need to adjust quick though because every big ten team will copy AZ's tactics

This is Stanzi's year hands down, barring an unforeseen injury. But I really like JVB for next year. I've got him ahead of Stanzi in arm strength and mechanics (the physical tools). Experience is Stanzi's biggest adversary, and having been in this system 5 years now, you'd think his decision making on what to do with the football would be honed. Given that the pick 6 on Saturday was not his fault, he's certainly improved ball security from a year ago.

Here's a slightly unrelated question, but one that has lingered with me for about a year or so...does Weinke stay at Iowa for a full 5 years as a play signaler/clipboard holder? Naturally I think he assumes the backup role, but let's just say JVB plays well enough to keep the job. Weinke already used a redshirt, so if he were to transfer, he'd have to go FCS in order to play right away. He was Elite 11 coming out of HS, right? Maybe he's just a great team guy, but I'd think his itch to play would be coming out sooner rather than later.

I think Vanderberg has better mechanics than Stanzi.

But Stanzi has more experience. You got to go with experience.

Next year Vandenberg will have his chance. He could end up a great one by time he's a senior.

This is Stanzi's year hands down, barring an unforeseen injury. But I really like JVB for next year. I've got him ahead of Stanzi in arm strength and mechanics (the physical tools). Experience is Stanzi's biggest adversary, and having been in this system 5 years now, you'd think his decision making on what to do with the football would be honed. Given that the pick 6 on Saturday was not his fault, he's certainly improved ball security from a year ago.

Here's a slightly unrelated question, but one that has lingered with me for about a year or so...does Weinke stay at Iowa for a full 5 years as a play signaler/clipboard holder? Naturally I think he assumes the backup role, but let's just say JVB plays well enough to keep the job. Weinke already used a redshirt, so if he were to transfer, he'd have to go FCS in order to play right away. He was Elite 11 coming out of HS, right? Maybe he's just a great team guy, but I'd think his itch to play would be coming out sooner rather than later.

Very good question, I've kind of been wondering that myself at times. Maybe he's liking the education he's getting, plus it never hurts to have depth at that position. Now with Jake Ruddock coming in next year, you redshirt him and he'll get playing time after JVB. So where does Weinke fit in? Injuries create opportunities, maybe he's just waiting.........

Obviously Stanzi has experience and a great career record and I am not trying to start a QB controversy after one loss, but sometimes I lose confidence in Stanzi a little. He has done amazing things that I will always remember but, Once Vandenberg got his feet wet last year I loved the way he played. I think from the small amount I witnessed Vandenberg...I think he may have even more potential. Anyone beg to differ ?

Simple answer...NO...next topic please! Ridiculous

beans, what topic would you like to discuss? I think it's an interesting topic to speculate on...What was Vandenberg's win/loss record last year as a starter? stats? you must have something to base your disagreement on?????????

Stanzi played pretty darned well Saturday night given the circumstances he was facing. Yes, the last drive was bad, and he should have thrown at least one pass away. But he made some great throws in that game and his feet got him out of trouble and moved the chains a few times. It's his team.

agreed, but I buy stock in Vandenberg long term...Do you think either is a future NFL QB?

There is no way near enough exposer to him yet to determine that. The backup always looks better when the starter struggles at all.

I feel sorry for you HAWKEYESTATE4EVER, what a substantive reply...why even post...What do you think? Offer an insight/opinion

I feel sorry for you HAWKEYESTATE4EVER, what a substantive reply...why even post...What do you think? Offer an insight/opinion

Well obviously he feels this was a stupid question, and he feels sorry for those dumb enough to ask it.

I think Vandenberg WILL BE better than Stanzi. But he's nowhere near better right now.

Vandenberg was not that great last year. He completed 48% of his passes. Not saying that He is a bad player, but I dont see how that can even remotely put into question that we would be better off with him than Stanzi. A lot of people talk about that OSU game, but to tell you the truth that game was not that great. He had 2 touchdowns and 3 pics, and he should have had 4, but they called OSU's D line for offsides.

Please just hold off on the Vandenberg talk at least until next year.

You should feel sorry for me! Hawks lost, Niners lost, Braves lost, lost $ on the Cowgirls and Patriots both losing, lost both my fantasy games (including on to my frickin' girlfriend:eek:)...

Rough weekend. :D

Seriously though, you are right. I should have provided more insight and opinion. I don't think we should hear the name James Vandenberg mentioned until 2011. This is, and has been for 3 years now, Ricky Stanzi's team. Vandenberg is not a better QB. Could he be? Yes. But not now.

Do you realize that Saturday night was the first time in almost two years that Ricky has lost a game that he started and finished? That is insane with the schedule we have played during that time.

Sorry if I offended you. I guess ya could say I am a lil edgy these days. Had some stupid ISU b*tch in my class tonight say "didn't Iowa get killed on Saturday night?"

I said, "well, they lost by 7."

She pointed at me and said, "haha."

I asked her what the score was last weekend when we played them. She said, "you Iowa fans always bring that up." Moron.

There is no way near enough exposer to him yet to determine that. The backup always looks better when the starter struggles at all.
Yea, it would be nice to quit taking it easy in the "practice games" early in the year and build some depth. There's nothing wrong with pulling the starters after their first series of the 2nd half.

I really don't see my topic of discussion as dumb...thoughtful dissection of issues surrounding this team is what this forum is about...future or present

Latest posts