Does anyone on Iowa's schedule really scare you?

I was thinking Penn State, MSU, and Neb. would be our three to be concerned about. I think the rest we can handle. Our winning streak at Penn State is great, but not sure if it can last forever. MSU has a Cousins back, and Neb. has great defense.

The Purdue game scares the **** out of me, 1) Iowa doesn't play well there and 2) they have 18 starters back from last year. I realize they weren't that great last year but they also had a ton of injuries to starters and those guys are back.

I think we have the chance to win every game. But the games I'm most worried about are Michigan, Northwestern, and Purdue.

The rumor is that Persa is still hurting from his surgery and has been limping around, Fitzgerald calls it his pimp walk. I could see Persa getting hurt early this year if he is out there playing and not completely recovered.

Didn't know this. However, IMO, 1/2-a-Persa still spells trouble for the way we play defense.

There isn't an opponent on our schedule this year that reminds me of playing at Arizona last year or playing at Ohio State the year before. The Hawks have a monumentally favorable schedule. I think Iowa will end up with about 9 wins, but it absolutely would not shock me if Iowa is 11-0 going into Thanksgiving. If they start the season hot and build some momentum, I could see the Hawkeyes being favored every week. That being said, it also wouldn't shock me if we were left out of the MNC picture should we somehow pull off a 13-0 or 12-1 season. We just don't seem to have the appearances of a tough schedule.

But of course, everything changes starting next week.

Agreed. I think we need to start fast and if possible run the score up. We really need to just hammer the first 6 games. That way if we come out on the wrong side of a dog fight later on, we should still be sitting good.
I know I feel alot like others that if possible we should allow as much mop up time as we can, but I also feel some of our starters will need the snaps later on in the season. Thats a tough call there.

I agree. Every team looks beatable.

On the other hand, I don't think we scare anybody that much either.:eek:

I predict 8 wins and 4 losses, with many of the wins and all of the losses being extremely close game.

No one should scare you, but as of right now thinking we have better than a 33% chance of winning in Lincoln is probably drinking too much Hawkeye Kool-Aid.

Thinking we have better than a 50% chance of beating NW is also drinking too much Kool-Aid. Persa's good and their scheme does just enough for them to beat us like they have 5 of the last 6 years.

Persa doesn't need to be 100% by the time we play them either. A 75% Persa will be able to move the chains and make plays.

NW scares me because that's a game early in the season that could be the difference between another BCS year or not. Watching the same thing we've seen over the last 7 years and knowing we won't defend them any different this year scares me too.

I'd rate our top 5 games in terms of difficulty as follows:

1. @ Nebraska 33% chance of winning
2. NW 50% chance chance of winning
3. @ Penn State 50% chance of winning
4. Michigan State 60% chance of winning
5. @ Purdue 60% chance of winning

I agree with you mostly. Looking at the schedule, we should be in every game. The Hawks have conditioned us to think this way, I don't think we have lost by more than 7 points in what 3-4 years now??

Here are a few that worry me some:

1) Iowa State. On paper, we should walk in there and run the show. In the past two years we have. The game in Ames 4 years ago is still giving me nightmares. They should have had no business beating us. Throw history and records out the door, this one could be a battle.

2) Pitt. I hear they are saying they want to run fast and something like 70 to 80 plays a game. Nightmares of last years Northwestern game when our fellas on the D Line had to come out for fatigue. This is at Kinnick so hopefully we can take care of business.

3) Northwestern. We have won something like once in the past 6-7 years. 'Nuff Said.

4) Purdue. These guys give us fits every time we play them. Always worried going to Ross Aide

5) Nebraska. This won't be the game of 10 years ago when they mopped us all over the field. Both teams will be up for this game no matter what our records are. Playing in Lincoln will be like Ann Arbor and Columbus.

Going to be a fun season, I need to get to the Pharmacy to get some Tums!!

Go Hawks!!

Tums? I think XANAX is a better idea for Hawk fans.

While I think Iowa has a chance to win every one of their games this year, and none REALLY scare me, I am apprehensive about the ISU game. Nobody's talking about that game.

The good news is it seems like it'll be a matchup of strength on strength. ISU's D, although not necessarily great, is formidable and veteran. I think Iowa's O will be it's strength this year, but this game is real early in the season before things may gell quite like they should.

I'm not scared of ISU's O, although their line will be solid and they've got some talent at wide out. Who knows what Jantz will bring, but you don't recruit a JUCO like that just to have him ride the pine. I think Iowa's D is more than up to the challenge.

I see a low scoring game. A tough road test early in the year makes me a bit wary. Even it if is ISU.

Hawks will be underdogs in only the PSU and Neb games,probably.
So those two do concern me. I think we probably lose them both.

Others that make me nervous:

ISU- obvious history.
NW- see above
Purdue- road game, and just read about their fg kicker,who has knocked in fgs from as far as 72 yards away in practice...and hit a 59 yarder last year. Iowa plays close games,and a guy like this could haunt us.

I'd rate our top 5 games in terms of difficulty as follows:

1. @ Nebraska 33% chance of winning
2. NW 50% chance chance of winning
3. @ Penn State 50% chance of winning
4. Michigan State 60% chance of winning
5. @ Purdue 60% chance of winning

Maybe if we played any of them week one. I wont argue Penn or NU.
I would add a bit to MSU, we get them at home, but you know they are not happy about last year. They play Wisky, Neb and MN before coming here.
Purdue and Neb, are towards the end of the season, Neb meets some tough teams before we get them and Purdue also gets Wisky and fOSU right before we get them. We should be hitting our stride by then and have some kinks worked out. I think our schedule, and equally important other teams schedules, make for a good out come this year. I just hope Penn and Mich can keep the bruises and stingers going on Neb, (Neb goes to both before coming home and meeting us).

Last edited:
While no game necessarily scares me, there are a few that make me pretty nervous ... I think many of our fans are instantly chalking up the Pitt game as a win because we play them at home. While Pitt has a new staff in place, it also has a lot of talent on its roster. I think this game is going to be more difficult than some may think.

Northwestern at home (who ever thought any of us would think this) is one of those games where we better be ready to be frustrated beyond belief because Persa is going to bend the he** out of our bend but don't break defense ...

While at Nebraska will be a tough game for obvious reasons another game that really makes me nervous is at Purdue. Historically, we struggle against Purdue, especially in West Lafayette. This is one of those potential 'oops' games I can see us dropping.

Persa is definitely still impaired from his achilles tear,and that usually takes a full year to recover from. And many never regain prior explosiveness,which was key to Peras escapability. Without his running ability, NW's offense becomes much more predictable,and defensible. He cannot run around in the pocket as well either,and if you recall,that td throw he beat Iowa on...he barely escaped to get it off.

I agree no scary matchups, but Nebraska and Michigan State are concerns.

With a young team the away games are always a concern, but Nebraska is winnable. Same with the MSU game. Indiana and Minnesota are sure wins.

Maybe if we played any of them week one. I wont argue Penn or NU.
I would add a bit to MSU, we get them at home, but you know they are not happy about last year. They play Wisky, Neb and MN before coming here.
Purdue and Neb, are towards the end of the season, Neb meets some tough teams before we get them and Purdue also gets Wisky and fOSU right before we get them. We should be hitting our stride by then and have some kinks worked out. I think our schedule, and equally important other teams schedules, make for a good out come this year. I just hope Penn and Mich can keep the bruises and stingers going on Neb, (Neb goes to both before coming home and meeting us).

Kinda like we hit our stride last year at the end of the season. Granted we were without some key players, but even so....

2011 Iowa @ 2010 Iowa - 2011 Iowa 25% chance of winning

jNW should scare any hawk fan. Also, Pitt scares me as well, as they have talent and an offensive scheme that could give the hawks trouble.

Latest posts