Does anyone on Iowa's schedule really scare you?

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
In years past, there are 2-3 games on the schedule that I usually point out that really scare me going into the season. A few that I think Iowa really doesn't stand a chance.

Do you see anything this year?

There are a lot of questions about this year's squad, but honestly I don't see a lot of scary match-ups this year.
Nebby seems like the only one I think is scary, but I also think that team is a bit overrated. Some will point to Pitt, but Iowa gets them at home.

Thoughts?

Not one game scares me or makes we think have no shot of winning.

There has never been a more overhyped team that is returning only 11 or 12 starters than the 2011 Cornhuskers.

I've been thinking the same thing. No other team on the schedule is so much better that it looks to be a likely loss. Is that a sign of where the program has gotten, or a sign that the conference is down some, or both?

I agree with you mostly. Looking at the schedule, we should be in every game. The Hawks have conditioned us to think this way, I don't think we have lost by more than 7 points in what 3-4 years now??

Here are a few that worry me some:

1) Iowa State. On paper, we should walk in there and run the show. In the past two years we have. The game in Ames 4 years ago is still giving me nightmares. They should have had no business beating us. Throw history and records out the door, this one could be a battle.

2) Pitt. I hear they are saying they want to run fast and something like 70 to 80 plays a game. Nightmares of last years Northwestern game when our fellas on the D Line had to come out for fatigue. This is at Kinnick so hopefully we can take care of business.

3) Northwestern. We have won something like once in the past 6-7 years. 'Nuff Said.

4) Purdue. These guys give us fits every time we play them. Always worried going to Ross Aide

5) Nebraska. This won't be the game of 10 years ago when they mopped us all over the field. Both teams will be up for this game no matter what our records are. Playing in Lincoln will be like Ann Arbor and Columbus.

Going to be a fun season, I need to get to the Pharmacy to get some Tums!!

Go Hawks!!

There isn't an opponent on our schedule this year that reminds me of playing at Arizona last year or playing at Ohio State the year before. The Hawks have a monumentally favorable schedule. I think Iowa will end up with about 9 wins, but it absolutely would not shock me if Iowa is 11-0 going into Thanksgiving. If they start the season hot and build some momentum, I could see the Hawkeyes being favored every week. That being said, it also wouldn't shock me if we were left out of the MNC picture should we somehow pull off a 13-0 or 12-1 season. We just don't seem to have the appearances of a tough schedule.

But of course, everything changes starting next week.

Everyone and no one all at the same time……based on what I have seen over the last 5 years. Iowa won’t play anyone who likely has more future NFL talent on the roster. However when Iowa is really good and wins the close tough games it’s because we have great leadership….

That holds the key to the season….we will likely be in every game. Can we win the close ones?

Chad

Three games could decide a good season and a great season.

@ISU. Ditto to other posters. Toss the records out the window. First game on the road in a hostile environment for a lot of folks, QB not withstanding. Small stadium you say? Lots of Hawks there you say? Look no further than last year's AZ game...small stadium, etc and we wet our pants...and that was with a veteran team.

@ Purdue worries me a great deal. They always play us tough, especially there.

Hate to say it but NU worries me. Persa carved us up last year. He'll be better this year and our defense is not as good.

Last edited:
@ Purdue worries me a great deal. They always play us tough, especially there.

Hate to say it but NU worries me. Persa carved us up last year. He'll be better this year and our defense is not as good.
PersaStrongBboardChicago-300x109.jpg

I think every game is winnable especially if our O line performs the way we think it will, and if our RB's stay health. If Coker and the running game has a monster year then it will be very tough to beat us because we can just dominate time of possession and keep our defense rested. It will negate the effectivness of an offense like Northwestern and the new Pitt offense.

In years past, there are 2-3 games on the schedule that I usually point out that really scare me going into the season. A few that I think Iowa really doesn't stand a chance.

Do you see anything this year?

There are a lot of questions about this year's squad, but honestly I don't see a lot of scary match-ups this year.
Nebby seems like the only one I think is scary, but I also think that team is a bit overrated. Some will point to Pitt, but Iowa gets them at home.

Thoughts?

This is what gives me the most hope for a great season. The schedule does not include that game or two in which you already chalk up as a loss.

However at the same time, I don't see a lot of sure wins. Outside of open practices against Tennessee Tech and UL Monroe, there is not a game in which I would be shocked to see Iowa lose.

Really the only safe bet with Iowa FB is that they'll play a lot of close games.

The rumor is that Persa is still hurting from his surgery and has been limping around, Fitzgerald calls it his pimp walk. I could see Persa getting hurt early this year if he is out there playing and not completely recovered.

No one scares me.

A few games might be close especially

The fact that no one scares us though, will make any loss that does occur that much more unbearable.

None of them scare me.

Two games do concern me more than a little and they are Iowa State at Ames and Northwestern.

November is too far off to worry about for now.

I'd say every game, except TTECH and LAM, for this reason. The hawks play conservatively and rarely blow people out, even though they could often. Also, Iowa has nearly lost to Indiana the last 2 years. Indiana. I think the hawks could win every game, but they could also lose a lot of them. I'm not saying they will go 6-6 or anything like that, but they could be cruising a long and lose to ISU or NW or Purdue etc. when some think the game is in the bag.

I'm more concerned about our defensive line. KFz's teams aren't exactly scoring machines...so if we don't have a solid D up front...it'll cost us a number of games.

We could be in a lot of 31-28 type of games this year.

Latest posts