Does Aaron White not realize that he is the best player on the floor?

TheDude

Sittin's at Jethro's tonight watching the game with a buddy, and about 5 minutes into the second half we're asking each other when is White going to get his 15? Somebody hits him in the face and it's on. He scores 14 in the next 3 minutes. DOES HE NOT REALIZE HOW GOOD HE IS? If not, please one of the coaches tell him. When he decides to take the game over, we win.

He is a great player but it is still a team game,'

He really put it on his shoulders in the second half

He is a great player but he is extremely unselfish and is all about the team. I think he defers to the upperclassmen a lot. I expect him to take a big step forward next year as a senior.

Sittin's at Jethro's tonight watching the game with a buddy, and about 5 minutes into the second half we're asking each other when is White going to get his 15? Somebody hits him in the face and it's on. He scores 14 in the next 3 minutes. DOES HE NOT REALIZE HOW GOOD HE IS? If not, please one of the coaches tell him. When he decides to take the game over, we win.
Just a question Dude, I've seen several posters lately that have joined Hawkeye Nation 3 to 5 years ago and they have a limited number of posts. My question is how can you not post often. I really looked forward to posting when I joined. I will admit the drawback to posting a lot is I've said a lot of dumb things since I joined but for the most part the Hawkeye faithful have been pretty forgiving.

He is a great player but it is still a team game,'

He really put it on his shoulders in the second half

He did. The question was why does he wait so long to take over? He can have his way whenever he wants.

He is a great player but he is extremely unselfish and is all about the team. I think he defers to the upperclassmen a lot. I expect him to take a big step forward next year as a senior.

If this is still the case, then someone should remind him that HE is an upperclassman now.

Not sure of this, because yes indeed, he is a bit too unselfish (if there ever is such a thing).

I am reminded of a story from the 1-1-1983 Rose Bowl (the year after Hayden Fry got us to our first one in 25 years). Michigan had the nation's best receiver in Anthony Carter. But at the half of that game, Carter had barely touched the ball and the Wolverines trailed. Coach Bo Schembechler asked his QB why he wasn't getting the ball to Carter. He said, "Coach, I didn't want to force it." Bo's reply: "Start forcing it a little bit. Not a lot, but a little." Carter dominated the 2nd half and Michigan ended up winnning that game.

That's my feeling here. I don't want White to start jacking up quick, ill-advised shots. But since now, two games in a row, he has dominated the 2nd half of games, he needs to see, starting in the 1st half, that he can do that all game long.

The major hole in White's offensive game right now is he is not a great three-point shooter. He knows it, and opposing teams know it. So it seems like he can get stuck on the perimeter a lot without a lot of driving lanes because other teams are aware of the fact that he wants to drive his defender to the basket.

I liked what Iowa did in the second half and had White slide from the perimeter into the post. That allowed him to not only post his smaller defenders (also a problem for him on the perimeter) but he could get to the line and take advantage of his great free-throw shooting. It's when he gets to the paint and starts making FTs that he starts to go on his mini runs.

Everyone needs to Keep posting about him, White seems to like visiting social media sites. :)

My take is this. It is very frustrating that White has these games where he just disappears. This was a game he should and could of dominated. He had a great matchup and Fran didn't have White take advantage of it. Fran needed to light that spark in White and he didn't, he allowed White to go through the motions for much to long.

Last edited:
The major hole in White's offensive game right now is he is not a great three-point shooter. He knows it, and opposing teams know it. So it seems like he can get stuck on the perimeter a lot without a lot of driving lanes because other teams are aware of the fact that he wants to drive his defender to the basket.

I liked what Iowa did in the second half and had White slide from the perimeter into the post. That allowed him to not only post his smaller defenders (also a problem for him on the perimeter) but he could get to the line and take advantage of his great free-throw shooting. It's when he gets to the paint and starts making FTs that he starts to go on his mini runs.

This is it right here. Dolph said early in the 2nd half that Michigan (was it Stauskas who was guarding him then?) was daring him to shoot the 3, playing off him at the perimeter. White took 3 threes in the game and didn't make any of them. I would say the game plan worked pretty well. Late in the game, Whitey started forcing the ball inside and obviously was effective anyway. Too bad he didn't realize that sooner but I imagine it was because they didn't have that sense of urgency.

the question should be directed at Fran, when does Fran say to White "go win this game for us"? Obviously late in the second half something or someone lit a fire under his azz.

"I'm really disappointed in myself, because this is the second game in a row that I haven't shown up until late in the game," White said. "I'm supposed to be one of the top players in this league, but I'm not making an impact until it is too late. I can't allow myself to keep doing that

it's because he still lacks confidence in his jump shot... this makes it harder for him to score at all points of the games.

But, however he does need to try to post or drive earlier... but a couple times he flailed up bad shots because he just wont stop and pop.

"I'm really disappointed in myself, because this is the second game in a row that I haven't shown up until late in the game," White said. "I'm supposed to be one of the top players in this league, but I'm not making an impact until it is too late. I can't allow myself to keep doing that

This is the quote I was going to reference...all I needed to hear. White will take care of this moving forward. He has a high basketball IQ.

Aaron made that layup and then stole the in-bounds pass for another layup in the 2nd half. Michigan called the TO and you could see Aaron was frustrated probably at himself because it took so long for him to get going and they were behind. If I was reading lips correctly he dropped the F-bomb in the huddle during that TO. Aaron is going to get better and if he can improve his outside shooting he's looking at a nice NBA career. Reminds me allot of Andrei Kirilenko of the Brooklyn Nets.
[video=youtube;yFguaszzNq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFguaszzNq0[/video]

Aaron made that layup and then stole the in-bounds pass for another layup in the 2nd half. Michigan called the TO and you could see Aaron was frustrated probably at himself because it took so long for him to get going and they were behind. If I was reading lips correctly he dropped the F-bomb in the huddle during that TO. Aaron is going to get better and if he can improve his outside shooting he's looking at a nice NBA career. Reminds me allot of Andrei Kirilenko of the Brooklyn Nets.
[video=youtube;yFguaszzNq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFguaszzNq0[/video]

I was about 99% sure he dropped an f-bomb in that huddle, as well as after he missed a wide open three in the corner and then got called for a foul at the other end.

Personally, I liked seeing that out of him. I obviously wish it hadn't come to that point, but that series kind of seemed to light him up. He should find something to get ****** off about before every game, because he's scary good when he gets ******.

Sometimes the great ones have to be selfish and that is what separates them from the good players.

Not taking a single shot in the 1st half is criminal. White may not be the best at creating his own shot, but when one of your best players does not shoot one time from the floor in a half that's just not smart basketball.

Latest posts