Doctor's Diagnosis of the Hawkeye Offense---Failure to Thrive?

seepig

Is it just me or are we seeing a classic gravity pull toward the KOK system of offense with the difference being that we huddle at the line instead of in a pack in the backfield? I will offer up two data points:

1. tOSU in 2nd half with the exception of the Jake Duzey miracle pass and run we score 0 and our defense played most of the 2nd half.

2. 0 points against a pretty mediocre NW Defense in the entire 2nd half and ONLY in overtime did we look and call plays that resemble moving the ball down the field.

We look sooooo much better when Rudock is back in the gun with a single back running the read option or passing to 4 receiver sets where the D gets gassed because the O is running plays every 17 secs or so. Please don't tell me that it's all "player talent" related if it is then that's the coaching staff's fault.

As long as Kirk is going to play ball relying on a very slim magin for error we are going to see more 4-8 seasons.

AGREE?
Disagree?

Is it just me or are we seeing a classic gravity pull toward the KOK system of offense with the difference being that we huddle at the line instead of in a pack in the backfield? I will offer up two data points:

1. tOSU in 2nd half with the exception of the Jake Duzey miracle pass and run we score 0 and our defense played most of the 2nd half.

2. 0 points against a pretty mediocre NW Defense in the entire 2nd half and ONLY in overtime did we look and call plays that resemble moving the ball down the field.

We look sooooo much better when Rudock is back in the gun with a single back running the read option or passing to 4 receiver sets where the D gets gassed because the O is running plays every 17 secs or so. Please don't tell me that it's all "player talent" related if it is then that's the coaching staff's fault.

As long as Kirk is going to play ball relying on a very slim magin for error we are going to see more 4-8 seasons.

AGREE?
Disagree?

Stop calling it the O'Keefe system. It is the Ferentz system. Slow the game down, keep the score low, limit possessions, limit mistakes. That is Ferentz's philosophy. It doesn't matter what O-coordinator we bring in, that is what we will get.

I would agree OK4Prez with that correction...it IS the KF style that will not change no matter who the OC is.

Next man in, that's football and if Doyle gets a year with a guy he will be 10 feet tall and bench 3000 pounds. And yes, offense and what not.

AGREE?
Disagree?

Wow, I completely disagree. I think we look terrible out of the shotgun. I remember the 1st TD drive last week. We were easily driving past midfield, running the ball and using play action, and then all of sudden we decide to go shotgun on 1st down. Yuck! We ended up with a 3rd and 9. Rudock had to run the ball for 8 yards and we were forced to go for it on 4th down. It almost killed the drive. We also went shotgun on 3rd and short a few times and of course we didn't make it. We should have used playaction or run the ball to keep the defense guessing.

The best our offense has looked is the 1st half against tOSU and we didn't use shotgun very often (other than when we were close to the goal line). I'd rather see us go to the line with 3 TEs and Rudock under center and have Rudock audible into the best play.

agreed. KF is the most conservative coach in college or pro and it's not even close. Reflects how we always play offense and defense. Get an early 7-0 and milk it and hope it holds up. Play not-to-lose,etc.

agreed. KF is the most conservative coach in college or pro and it's not even close. Reflects how we always play offense and defense. Get an early 7-0 and milk it and hope it holds up. Play not-to-lose,etc.

Have you ever watched Va Tech?

Our number of plays per game has increased significantly this year. I don't think it is fair or accurate to say this is the same ol' kf ball conte philosophy. Sure, of course he wants that, as all coaches do but this years offense is very different than the offense we have seen the last decade. Factoid

AGREE?
Disagree?

I agree 100%

Regarding Wisconsin

two common opponents.

Both teams played jNW at
home. Much different games versus Northwestern.

Both played at OSU. Both
teams scored 24 points in columbus.

Iowa gave up 34, Wisconsin gave up

In columbus Wisconsin rushed for 104 yards, Iowa rushed for

The more telling stat may be on the defensive side
Iowa gave up
Wisc gave up 390

Passing 198 given up by Wisc
Iowa gave up

In the 4th quarter Wisconsin scored 10 points in columbus while
shutting out OSU

Iowa has let MSU, OSU and NW controll the 2nd halfs.
Wisconsin

You can see where this is going. If the past is prolouge Iowa
is in trouble on Saturday. However, that's why you play the game - to
compete.

At some point, GD and KF need to decide that the game is fully in Rudock's hands and we are going throw the ball to win. The second half problems are directly related to that we have the lead playing a conservative style and no need to change. The problem is, good defenses adjust, and we haven't had an answer. If we don't rely on the passing game against wisconsin, we will get thrashed. It's a loss if we try to out physical them. They have better skill positions. We have to throw the ball to run the ball.

Can GD make the leap?

Regarding Wisconsin

two common opponents.

Both teams played jNW at
home. Much different games versus Northwestern.

Both played at OSU. Both
teams scored 24 points in columbus.

Iowa gave up 34, Wisconsin gave up

In columbus Wisconsin rushed for 104 yards, Iowa rushed for

The more telling stat may be on the defensive side
Iowa gave up
Wisc gave up 390

Passing 198 given up by Wisc
Iowa gave up

In the 4th quarter Wisconsin scored 10 points in columbus while
shutting out OSU

Iowa has let MSU, OSU and NW controll the 2nd halfs.
Wisconsin

You can see where this is going. If the past is prolouge Iowa
is in trouble on Saturday. However, that's why you play the game - to
compete.

Colter missed one series vs Iowa. Remind me how much action he saw vs WI again?

At some point, GD and KF need to decide that the game is fully in Rudock's hands and we are going throw the ball to win. The second half problems are directly related to that we have the lead playing a conservative style and no need to change. The problem is, good defenses adjust, and we haven't had an answer. If we don't rely on the passing game against wisconsin, we will get thrashed. It's a loss if we try to out physical them. They have better skill positions. We have to throw the ball to run the ball.

Can GD make the leap?

I am really starting to think this is it, and not just with Jake....but in the past with all QB's. I think with Jake it's a combination of KF style/preference to milk the clock, thus limiting mistakes, and lack of experience / playing time.

We don't seem to take many shots past 10 yards and it's burning us big time as the defenses are stacking the box against the run. We completely blew up OSU with the long pass to Duzey and that was brilliant....we need more attempts like that in the game. Not just long bombs to a TE or Powell, but just a few more routes that stretch the defense a bit. Make them back off the LOS. NW had NINE guys in the box on Saturday!!!!

The play calling in OT was perfect, we quickly threw the ball to our WR and got 17-20 yards because their guy was on an island. Then we pounded it a bit, and we all know how it ended (I think any trip to the redzone, or very least the 10 yard line should have plays geared for our TE's).

Back to the OP's question, I very much agree that the avg wins for this style of play is going to be somewhere around 4 wins (for our bad years) and 8 wins. There's always the 2009 season where we get more than our fair share of breaks (most of that came back to bite us with Stanzi going down). But even the 2008 team we were loaded with talent and managed to win 8 games (not counting the bowl).

So yes, by playing the ultra conservative style, keeping games close, which means keeping lessor opponents in the game, we have a chance to win every game, and lose every game too. I also think it's why we look so slow. While we don't have SEC speed, we do have some guys that can make plays, but due to play calling and the way we're coached, we don't get to see it.

Why do I keep seeing posts in this thread expecting 4 win seasons as the norm? There is a sample size of more than one season. It makes you sound like you have the memory of a goldfish.

Here is the recipe for a four win season under Ferentz.

3 or 4 years of unprecedented attrition

3 or 4 new coaches including both coordinators

A QB with the pocket sense of a nervous squirrel

A lot of injuries at the wrong spots

Lose nearly every close game

If all of those things happen with regularity, then yes, Iowa is going to see a lot of 4 win seasons. My guess is that Iowa is going to be bottoming out at more like six wins under Ferentz going forward. Kind of like have for nearly his entire time at Iowa.

I think the original premise of this thread has one glaring weakness.

The strength of any team is it's personnel. This team was built through recruitment around a power running game and a KOK system that utilized the TE's as a big part of the offense.

This team has the personnel to do just that, and GD has finally come around to that fact and is trying get the ball to those types of playmakers.

Eventually, he will have recruited more of the types of players that fit what his vision of the offense should be and we have seen the start of that with Powell, and some of the true freshmen like Akrum Wardley, etc... I suspect the staff feels that most of those kids aren't ready for "Prime Time" just yet.

Meanwhile, if you have a strong run-blocking OLine, power runners and 4 or 5 TEs that are a match-up nightmare, he's decided to play to the team's strengths. (Some of us had hoped for this a few games earlier than the tO$U game). IMHO, the only real weakness of this offense is that we don't have an RB that can see the cutback lanes (and they are almost always there) that the OLine has created and plant his foot and GO! On top of the power running of Weisman and Bulluck, we need a Freddie Russell. I thought Canzeri was that guy ... but he must not be.

Have you ever watched Va Tech?
At least Frank Beamer lets VA TECH players catch and possibly return punts. At least Beamer puts in a pass play that goes down the field..

Latest posts