Do you think KM still looks like a lottery pick?

HaydenHawk56

I don't think he looked like one tonight (still got 21 points, but took regulation and 2 OTs) and has not looked like one recently. Any chance he has slipped a bit there? Still plenty of games left though.

I think with a subpar Big Ten record he probably does not get player of the year as well unless he and the team go on a major run to finish out.

I still think as of today, at worse he gets in the NBA as a late first round pick or early 2nd round.

But, I don't think he looked like a solid NBA player tonight outside of a couple of big plays. The fouling has been an issue and something just seems off.....the killer precision has not been there to the degree it was. I think it could be argued his brother at times recently has been playing better than him (but Kris has kind of regressed a little since the end of the Purdue game I think).

But, they draft on potential right?

If he can play in the NBA, I would advocate for him to go after the conclusion of this year. That money will trump first and 2nd round exits in college tournaments....as much as it sucks for us as fans and he probably gets us into the NCAAs next year if he hung around.

Just kind of seems in a funk, like the team right now.

Yes, he's extremely athletic and can shoot the ball from anywhere. The NBA doesn't necessarily draft on defense ability but his defense is solid, especially since he wouldn't be asked to defend the post in the NBA. It's not his fault that when he's on the court he wears a target on his back and is typically playing out of position.

Gotta look past the stats, in the NBA he wouldn't get anywhere near the attention he's getting in conference play.

I am no NBA expert and in fact I don't really follow the NBA. Its not a great product to me.

But, my eyeballs last year and this year suggest that Keegan has the talent and skills and size that the NBA covets, but he needs more maturation and development. Even towards the beginning of the year when he was hot, I would have thought he was more of a late first or second round guy.

Unlike Garza or Weiskamp, I think KM could elevate his draft stock with another season where he shows improved outside shooting. And, perhaps if his brother keeps coming on, and they have a season where they play 30 minutes a night together next season, they might both hear their names called. Maybe more of a wish than anything there.....

He is a sophomore, right? His brother is still here. He can for sure work on stuff and be more consistent. I'm sure he can tell he drops some in conference against the better teams and isn't to his potential yet and has some doubts. His dad as well should keep him grounded to both get better and not leave Iowa in the lurch early. Seeing more for the stay column than the leave column.

There is always the "what if he gets hur"t thing but that is external and for the fans and prognosticators really. Young sophomores don't think like that. they think like they are immortal most times and are talked into that by money people and others. With his dad and his brother and the head he already has on his shoulders I don't think that one is gonna be a decided influence.

Really think this is just fun to speculate but he isn't going anywhere just yet.

The way he has looked the last few weeks, BoneG player of the year is not likely to happen, and I would not be surprised if he slips to the second round. I would love for him to come back for another season, but in the end if he projects as a first round selection (which so far he still does), you have to take the money and run.

He still looks the part to me, mostly because the NBA drafts on potential vs actual results more than any other league. They'll take into consideration what Iowa lost and the supporting cast around him. I think, unless Keegan doesn't want to go because of his twin, there is no way Murray is in an Iowa uniform next season. The needle isn't moving back anytime soon on him IMO.

The way he has looked the last few weeks, BoneG player of the year is not likely to happen, and I would not be surprised if he slips to the second round. I would love for him to come back for another season, but in the end if he projects as a first round selection (which so far he still does), you have to take the money and run.
Too early to Tell. Coach's style does not help. Fran and players will catch 2nd "wind" with Twins . leading way. Patrick improving also.Go Hawks

I am no NBA expert and in fact I don't really follow the NBA. Its not a great product to me.

But, my eyeballs last year and this year suggest that Keegan has the talent and skills and size that the NBA covets, but he needs more maturation and development. Even towards the beginning of the year when he was hot, I would have thought he was more of a late first or second round guy.

Unlike Garza or Weiskamp, I think KM could elevate his draft stock with another season where he shows improved outside shooting. And, perhaps if his brother keeps coming on, and they have a season where they play 30 minutes a night together next season, they might both hear their names called. Maybe more of a wish than anything there.....
It would be huge to Fran to get him back. It would be delightful for us as fans. I also I agree, he could probably elevate his game more. I wonder how the rest of this season is going to finish out for him (and the team). Does his points stay around 22-23 points a game, or does he dip to like 19-17 points a game?

I think if he were to stay and turns down the money for a year, he really must like being a Hawkeye and perhaps playing with his brother for another year.

But, I think if he is playing and staying and hoping for something like a Big Ten Title or a deep NCAA run, I would say take the money and run.

He is playing a lot of minutes even compared to last year and he may still be feeling some lingering, nagging injury effects. He definitely looks the part of the NBA power forward even but maybe another year lets him add 15 lbs on the upper body.

He has already shown tremendous shooting, rebounding, decent enough dribbling and passing, and defensive skills to show he can play in the nba.

He is already 21 years old. Looking at mock drafts he is projected to be picked somewhere between 8-12. Unless he gets hurt I don't think that changes.

I know some will point to Davion Mitchell or Corey Kispert as "older" guys that stuck around. I just shrug my shoulders because it is Baylor and Gonzaga...convincing someone like Wieskamp to stay another year or even Keegan is a much harder sell.

Reasons to stay: obviously very close to his brother and Kris is just starting to come into his own. These guys have been attached at the hip since birth and playing hoops together. It would be like leaving your left arm behind. Another year of development and these guys are gonna be absolutely dominating games TOGETHER in a Hawkeye uniform in front of dad and mom on a much better Hawkeye Team. Leaving after this season and your college career leaves a lot unfulfilled and the memories they coulda made. Chance to give Iowa an unprecedented National Men's and Women's Player of Year. Can you imagine the publicity? Leave now and you are just another good player that passed through the program but didn't really leave behind a big mark like a guy named Garza or Marble, ect

Reason to go: money. But deal. There will be more of it in another year as a top 5 pick. Still easily have a 10 year career and make more than can spend. Also guessing he won't be destitute with NIL earnings next year.

I don't think he looked like one tonight (still got 21 points, but took regulation and 2 OTs) and has not looked like one recently. Any chance he has slipped a bit there? Still plenty of games left though.

I think with a subpar Big Ten record he probably does not get player of the year as well unless he and the team go on a major run to finish out.

I still think as of today, at worse he gets in the NBA as a late first round pick or early 2nd round.

But, I don't think he looked like a solid NBA player tonight outside of a couple of big plays. The fouling has been an issue and something just seems off.....the killer precision has not been there to the degree it was. I think it could be argued his brother at times recently has been playing better than him (but Kris has kind of regressed a little since the end of the Purdue game I think).

But, they draft on potential right?

If he can play in the NBA, I would advocate for him to go after the conclusion of this year. That money will trump first and 2nd round exits in college tournaments....as much as it sucks for us as fans and he probably gets us into the NCAAs next year if he hung around.

Just kind of seems in a funk, like the team right now.
Depends on which Keegan shows up. Last night he had the deer in headlights look for a large portion of the game. Iowa has always struggled against teams who are physical with them due to the type of player that is recruited. The strength program needs to change. Nunge looks so much bigger this year at Xavier then he ever did at Iowa and he hasn't even been there a year.

Depends on which Keegan shows up. Last night he had the deer in headlights look for a large portion of the game. Iowa has always struggled against teams who are physical with them due to the type of player that is recruited. The strength program needs to change. Nunge looks so much bigger this year at Xavier then he ever did at Iowa and he hasn't even been there a year.
Has Fran ever seen the inside of the weight room? Weak sauce man...

I always revert back to two or three years ago during preseason workouts when someone posted a side by side comparison of Iowa’s players shirtless and Wisconsin's players. Wisconsin's guards looked like linebackers. Iowa’s looked emaciated by comparison.

Penn State, like Rutgers a couple weeks ago, looked like the more physical team.

If only we had Nunge, losing him to the portal hurt worse than any other player from last years team outside of Garza.

I love both the Murrays, but of late K. has not looked like the kind of player that can take over a game and get the wins. Like others, I don't watch the NBA and don't really understand what they get excited about, but my sense is that K. needs at least another year in CHA and will benefit from it. He is in a sophomore slump!

The strength program needs to change. Nunge looks so much bigger this year at Xavier then he ever did at Iowa and he hasn't even been there a year.
This for sure. First they let Nunge play and then decide he needed to bulk up. Why not right at the start? Then he starts having issues with knees which can happens when you bulk up the wrong way w/o addressing the joints to carry the heavier weight. Not his doctor but it makes you think that could be what happened.

Can't actually know but wouldn't surprise me if this might be on the list of reasons he decided to transfer. You kinda know they aren't doing the best for you and you lose trust.

Strength and conditioning issues for a while. How about Ogundele? Anybody else wonder why he isn't in the shape he probably should be in and be contributing more. Not like he is a freshman nor is it like we don't need a center on this team. Unless I missed some injury or something?

Latest posts