Do you start Cook?

Do you start Cook @ Purdue?

• Yes

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 60.5%

• Total voters
I totally agree that Cook is better than Wagner. I think he will return to the starting lineup within the next couple games. Offensively he is going to relive some pressure from Jok. I'm confident his defense will improve as well.

I guess my point about North Dakota was they are much better than some of the other cream puffs we played this year outside of Omaha.

KenPom actually has North Dakota ahead of Omaha. Both are pretty bad but I agree they are both better than the 300+ KenPom teams we played

After sitting, Cook will be a bundle of energy whether he starts or not. Due to this, I would bring him off the bench for 2 reasons: 1. He & Baer can provide great bench scoring and energy. 2. Keep him out of early foul trouble that being over-energized often leads to-especially when he'll need to play constant post defense. That being said, I think Coach Fran starts him.

Maybe if Cook had more games under his belt, but he's still young and hasn't even experienced a conference road game. He's going to be amped. Better to have him take it all in from the bench and let him see the game for a while before he comes in. He'll still get more minutes than Wagner regardless. Pemsl has earned the starting position for the time being so you also want to show respect to him.

I voted no but would change to a yes in an instant if I knew that Cook had been working out and was in something resembling game shape. Anyone know?

A starter should not lose his position due to injury,obviously there will be some rust but let his and the teams play dictate minutes

Guys, this is all about defensive intensity and teaching this young team that defense is important. You make Cook EARN his spot back by playing defense. He hasn't proven he can play effective defense yet. Pemsl and Wagner have. I fully expect Cook can and will do that. BUT that's the mindset you want for this team. That FM values the defense they have played in Cook's absense.

It is extremely difficult to win at Purdue. This will be very tough game against a highly motivated team. To start Tyler might not be a good move. The Boilermakers will be ready to play, boldly attempting to kick a$$ and take names.....

Not an ideal spot to start Tyler. Better to wait until he gets into playing shape, better able to contribute as he will throughout the brutal Big season. He will get plenty of playing time coming off the bench. How nice it will be to have Baer and Cook coming off the bench. Out starters are playing very well and should continue to do so, then we bring in two lads who could very well start. The bench and rotations will be difficult for opponents to manage.....Hopefully.....And Ideally.....

:cool:

Hard to imagine Pemsl being intimidated by his first big ten road game...

Hope this scenario plays out. Purdue is filled with rabid fans, not unlike Hilton. Haas is about 7'2" and close to 300 pounds of muscle, and is having a very good year, showing massive improvement over last season......

This will be a solid test for Cordell, and I am certain he will play well. I have extreme confidence that Pemsl will do very well in conference, especially as the season progresses.....

:cool:

Pemsl can draw contact and fouls, and early in the season with the officiating crews ready to "show" that they are willing to call things according to the book...I see Pemsl benefiting a lot...now...please make some of the free throws...8-8 is a good start. And...foul out a Boilermaker or two in the process :)

Interesting stat from Rob's article. Cook averaged 13.7 points 5.3 rebounds before his injury. Since his injury, Pemsl has averaged 13.7 points 5.4 rebounds.

It doesn't really matter. This team will have to get production from 9 players each game, in order to finish in the top half of the BIG.

So it looks like HN was a slight lean towards bringing Cook off the bench.

Fran's comments yesterday were interesting. He said he still hadn't made a final decision and he thought Tyler might be anxious and try to do too much. My guess after hearing that is that Cook will come off the bench tonight.

As this link says, he may or may not start, but he will get starter minutes (barring foul issues).

http://www.radioiowa.com/2016/12/27/tyler-cook-returns-as-iowa-prepares-for-no-15-purdue/

“Whether he starts or whether he doesn’t start he is going to play starters minutes and I am going to have him out there”, said Iowa coach Fran McCaffery. “It effects everybody’s minutes when you add a guy who is going to play those kinds of minutes but we will be a better team with him on the floor.”