• Neutral

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • nah not so much

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • I do not like them Sam I am

Votes: 28 54.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Grew up loving the golden domers. Thought they really missed an opportunity to join the B1G back when the conference was expanding. Quickly fell out of love with them when they passed on that opportunity and wish nothing but failure to their program.

Truly wish that all B1G programs would stop scheduling them.

We used to get WSNS channel 44 out of Chicago and on Sunday mornings in the 1970’s they would have a condensed replay of the previous day’s Norte Dame game. It was a precursor to the condensed games you see today on BTN and others.

I thought it was cool as hell at time even though my feeling towards them is neutral and that’s how I voted. Lindsay Nelson and Paul Hornung did the broadcasts and in the mid seventies they had a Dubuque wahlert grad, Ted Burgmeier, on their team. Burgmeier had a memorable game vs Southern Cal on national TV in 1977 , the year Norte Dame won a national championship.

I was raised Catholic (kinda...no priest ever got a hand on me). There's no team that has more of a head start every season in the polls than ND. F-em

Last edited:
I do not dislike Notre Dame so I guess that means I'm neutral. I really regret that Iowa does not play Notre Dame anymore. I'm old enough to remember the last time they played and they played often enough. When the ISU game was forced on the schedule it pretty much eliminated ever playing them again except in a bowl game. At least Iowa gets an opportunity to play them in men's and women's bball once in a while.

I had a former boss of mine play tackle for them in the early 80's. John Putztuck. Grew up around Algona....then moved to Colorado. Helluva guy. Still, I hated ND....

I also was raised catholic but not a subscriber to them now. But we had lots of friends who were big on ND. My dad probably liked ND but not near as much as he liked the hawks.

I was never a big fan of their's since the 1960's because the played Iowa, they were an independent who didnt have to be in a big, ,strong conference, and I just pulled for conference teams from the Big 10 and USC to beat them. I dislike them more than an neutral.

When dad graduated HS from St. Ambrose Academy (Davenport) in 1941 he did not want to go to college. He argued with grampa all summer long. Finally he said (wish I could have been a fly on the wall) "if you can get me into Notre Dame, then I'll go". He figured - that aught to be the end of that.

Gramps came back to him a few weeks later and told him..."you're to be in South Bend on the 15th". Dad enrolled in the summer of 41 and then joined the Navy - right there on campus, after Pearl Harbor. then returned after the war. Every Christmas I got a ND jersey or something from Hammes Book Store.

I went to an Iowa games once in a while - knot-hole tickets - lots of fun, but the hawks weren't very good then. And the only Iowa game I remember on TV was the 1977 ISU game. When Hayden came along the hawkeyes eclipsed ND somehow.

I also remember the Sunday morning replays with Lindsey Nelson and Paul Hornung.

Reactions: trj
Arrogant pricks have refused to join a FB conference forever.

Now, the COVID scheduling is hosing them big time. Too bad!

I used to hate Notre Dame more until I read more about Lou Holtz. I still root against Notre Dame, but I appreciate Lou Holtz more now. What an inspirational human being. 45151cdaa27856e731fead2ae176dd36.jpg

The elitism and the snobbery from their alumni and fan base are a major turnoff. The only time I root for them is when I need for them to cover the spread on a bet. ND/ISU was the easiest money I ever made.:)

I used to hate Notre Dame more until I read more about Lou Holtz. I still root against Notre Dame, but I appreciate Lou Holtz more now. What an inspirational human being. View attachment 6864

Not sure of all you read about Holtz and he is I am sure good in many ways. But I am not sure about inspirational in all things and what is important.

From a Bleacherreport web page below after searching for "lou holtz coaching infractions" it has also been known for a long time how he skirted the rules and basically cheated or kept quiet about things. Cheaters are not high on my list of top coaches and inspirational people. (And he bailed on the Jets at the first sign of tough times with a terrible terrible 1976 campaign where he tried to bring the veer running offense from college to a pro team and he admitted he never watched or knew much about pro football. He was chasing a bigger paycheck.)

1. Lou Holtz is typically not thought of as a dirty coach, but has left every program he coached at just before they were hit with NCAA probation. NC State, Minnesota, Arkansas, Notre Dame, and South Carolina were all found to have violated NCAA rules while under the leadership of Holtz.

Holtz was also overseeing the Notre Dame Football team when they were caught distributing steroids in the locker room during the late 80’s and early 90’s. The NCAA allowed the Irish to handle the matter internally, but there is no way Holtz was unaware of all that was going on with his program.

Holtz should go down as one of the most successful coaches in the modern era of football, but should not have a blind eye turned to the legacy he left at each school he coached.

Fainting Irish. Enough said.

Right on, Phoenix!!!!!

I've despised ND ever since they cheated not once but twice in the same game to pull out a tie with the Hawks. I was a small boy & listened to that game on WHO. I cried at the end of the game because even as a young kid I could figure out how the Hawks got robbed from a huge upset victory. I think that game was in 52 or 53, early in Evy's career at Iowa.

The story goes that in his post game comments, Evy paraphrased Grantland Rice & said something along the lines of "When the one great scorer comes to write against your name, its not whether you won or lost but how we got screwed at Notre Dame". That may not be the precise verbiage Evy used but it is an accurate depiction of what Evy said & how he felt at that time.. He may have used the F bomb instead of "screwed".

Not sure of all you read about Holtz and he is I am sure good in many ways. But I am not sure about inspirational in all things and what is important.

From a Bleacherreport web page below after searching for "lou holtz coaching infractions" it has also been known for a long time how he skirted the rules and basically cheated or kept quiet about things. Cheaters are not high on my list of top coaches and inspirational people. (And he bailed on the Jets at the first sign of tough times with a terrible terrible 1976 campaign where he tried to bring the veer running offense from college to a pro team and he admitted he never watched or knew much about pro football. He was chasing a bigger paycheck.)

1. Lou Holtz is typically not thought of as a dirty coach, but has left every program he coached at just before they were hit with NCAA probation. NC State, Minnesota, Arkansas, Notre Dame, and South Carolina were all found to have violated NCAA rules while under the leadership of Holtz.

Holtz was also overseeing the Notre Dame Football team when they were caught distributing steroids in the locker room during the late 80’s and early 90’s. The NCAA allowed the Irish to handle the matter internally, but there is no way Holtz was unaware of all that was going on with his program.

Holtz should go down as one of the most successful coaches in the modern era of football, but should not have a blind eye turned to the legacy he left at each school he coached.

You can hate Lou Holtz all you want. Lol Reading one Bleacher Report article on the man doesn't make you an expert. I think you'd be in the far minority in your "beliefs." He was under appreciated in every job that he had, made every program a winner after taking over, moved up to become a National Champion at Notre Dame. You can look at his accolades. You can look at his public speaking resume. Its not my opinion. Watch the Joe Buck interview with him or listen to a speech on YouTube.