do you feel kinnick isn't the same?

I've said for a while now that it hasn't been the same since they moved the student section.

Being an old goat, I don't think Kinnick is as rockin' as it was in my day (1983 - 1987 ++), but I chalk this partially up to nostalgia. And the possibility that "modern" students aren't in to real, live events. Texting and twitting are more fun than a Hawkeye home game, it seems.
Plus, last time I was in Kinnick (Sep 2007 homecoming), I witnessed an ugly, demoralizing, hoosier beat-down of our boys.
Ahh, the jake years....!!:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
just seems kinnick has gotten quieter the last few years... idk

Interesting...I went to Kinnick last year for the Arizona game and it was the first time I have been back in 20 years. I took my wife and two kids. My wife went to Duke and was a Cameron Crazy, so she knows loud. We had great seats on the 35 yard line, row 12.

In the middle of the first quarter, she asks "when are the people in front of us going to sit down?", my answer, "in about 3 hours". Honestly, my wife and daughter couldn't take the noise...maybe it was where we were, but that place was loud that day. Believe it or not, they left at halftime for some peace and quiet. Now, they obviously don't bleed black and gold like my son and I, but to say Kinnick isn't loud would be a misrepresentation of the facts.

WinOneThisCentury- Interesting...I went to Kinnick last year for the Arizona game and it was the first time I have been back in 20 years. I took my wife and two kids. My wife went to Duke and was a Cameron Crazy, so she knows loud. We had great seats on the 35 yard line, row 12.

In the middle of the first quarter, she asks "when are the people in front of us going to sit down?", my answer, "in about 3 hours". Honestly, my wife and daughter couldn't take the noise...maybe it was where we were, but that place was loud that day. Believe it or not, they left at halftime for some peace and quiet. Now, they obviously don't bleed black and gold like my son and I, but to say Kinnick isn't loud would be a misrepresentation of the facts.

That is excellent. I bet the people behind them were happy. Is it just me or does it seem like the space given to each fan has decreased while the size of each fan has increased?

Being an old goat, I don't think Kinnick is as rockin' as it was in my day (1983 - 1987 ++), but I chalk that this partially up to nostalgia. And the possibility that "modern" students aren't in to real, live events. Texting and twitting are more fun than a Hawkeye home game, it seems.
Plus, last time I was in Kinnick (Sep 2007 homecoming), I witnessed an ugly, demoralizing, hoosier beat-down of our boys.
Ahh, the jake years....!!:mad:

In any generation you are going to have a certain amount of disinterested fans...especially among the students. You will also have a certain amount of fans who bleed black and gold...and a certain amount who are average fans.

The disinterested fans won't cheer much no matter where they are at...the diehards will cheer loudly no matter where they are...the average fan will cheer about as much as the fans around them. Put them in a racous environment and they'll go nuts and vice-versa. In fact...when you put disinterested fans in sections full of people going nuts...you will see an impact on how loud they cheer.

By moving the student section to put more students in the endzone than on the sideline...as opposed to entirely on the sideline...what you are doing is creating an environment where disinterested fans will wait until the last minute to go in and sit in the endzone...guaranteeing that they will not be cheering. Many of the diehards will forego drinking in order to get the best possible seats on the sideline. Which is good and bad...the best fans get the best seats...however...these people would be going nuts no matter where they are...so we're not doing anything to increase the noise level in the stadium.

Then we have the regular fan...they still want to party...and then they start having to much fun and don't want to leave...so they get there right around gametime and end up in the endzone with the disinterested fans and the collective level of enthusiasm in the endzone is severely diminished.

Put all the students on the sideline and you'll increase the noise level in Kinnick immensely.

If we're talking 2005 to now, there really hasn't been a whole lot to get excited about on the home schedule until this year. In 2005 we had Michigan and not much else on the home slate, 2006 obviously had OSU and Gameday and that was an amazing visual, but the game itself (obviously) left a lot to be desired. By the end of 2006, with the Hawks skidding to a 6-6 record, there wasn't a whole lot left to cheer about either. 2007 was a disaster, but still had the bright spot of beating an 18th ranked Illini team.

I get the feeling that with this year home schedule, which is the best that I can remember, that Kinnick will be just as loud as ever as long as the team does their part.

But I would also agree that moving the student section was probably not the wisest idea. In it's current configuration, it seems somewhat...disjointed.

In any generation you are going to have a certain amount of disinterested fans...especially among the students. You will also have a certain amount of fans who bleed black and gold...and a certain amount who are average fans.

The disinterested fans won't cheer much no matter where they are at...the diehards will cheer loudly no matter where they are...the average fan will cheer about as much as the fans around them. Put them in a racous environment and they'll go nuts and vice-versa. In fact...when you put disinterested fans in sections full of people going nuts...you will see an impact on how loud they cheer.

By moving the student section to put more students in the endzone than on the sideline...as opposed to entirely on the sideline...what you are doing is creating an environment where disinterested fans will wait until the last minute to go in and sit in the endzone...guaranteeing that they will not be cheering. Many of the diehards will forego drinking in order to get the best possible seats on the sideline. Which is good and bad...the best fans get the best seats...however...these people would be going nuts no matter where they are...so we're not doing anything to increase the noise level in the stadium.

Then we have the regular fan...they still want to party...and then they start having to much fun and don't want to leave...so they get there right around gametime and end up in the endzone with the disinterested fans and the collective level of enthusiasm in the endzone is severely diminished.

Put all the students on the sideline and you'll increase the noise level in Kinnick immensely.

I think if you just put them in one section, regardless of location, that the noise level would increase. Maryland has it right, they put all of their students at one end of the field.

I dont know since the renovation, there have been some of the loudest moments Ive ever experience in Kinnick. Michigan 05, OSU 06, PSU 08. There were some loud ones last year also.

I think if you just put them in one section, regardless of location, that the noise level would increase. Maryland has it right, they put all of their students at one end of the field.

You still run into the problem of having them disconnected from the action.

Go to CHA sometime and notice the difference between the fans who are on the side of the court and those behind the basket. Even when the team is down and it might not be a very interesting game the fans on the side of the court are making noise and are very much into the action...those behind the basket are just kind of there.

Anything you can do to get the loudest fans closer to the action is a step in the right direction. People have said for years that Carver's biggest problem is that the oldest and least involved fans are the ones closest to the action...and they're exactly right.

Mich 09 was pretty loud too, but the chill in the air may have took something out of the crowd

You still run into the problem of having them disconnected from the action.

Go to CHA sometime and notice the difference between the fans who are on the side of the court and those behind the basket. Even when the team is down and it might not be a very interesting game the fans on the side of the court are making noise and are very much into the action...those behind the basket are just kind of there.

Anything you can do to get the loudest fans closer to the action is a step in the right direction. People have said for years that Carver's biggest problem is that the oldest and least involved fans are the ones closest to the action...and they're exactly right.

You don't think that three years of **** basketball has had anything to do with the student section being dead? You can't really compare the two.

I'm not trying to be snide, I just think it's apples to oranges.

Mich 09 was pretty loud too, but the chill in the air may have took something out of the crowd

I think Stanzi's pick 6 to start the game may have had something to do w/ that, I know I took a seat right after, but then regained my composure and yelled my @ss off the rest of the night.

Well the renovated south endzone isn't quite as up close and personal as it used to be. It's not as vertical, and more of a gradual incline. That is part of the reason, because less sound gets trapped in (thats why OSU's 100,000 fans seem a lot louder than Michigan's 100,000 fans. It's not that they're actually making more noise, it's just that more of it gets trapped thanks to stadium design).

But the loudest moments in Kinnick that I've experienced: Tyler Sash's INT against PSU (I don't care what anyone says, the place was louder on that play than when Murray made the kick), McNutt's 92-yard TD against Indiana, and Shonn Greene's crazy TD run against Wisconsin.

Kinnick is probably not as loud as in the past. But I think that has more to do with there being more breaks in the action than in the past. It's hard to have a frantic atmosphere when there are constant tv timeouts(with larger timeframes on those breaks).

I've noticed this at other venues as well. So it's not just Kinnick by any means. Sometimes the energy of the crowd can't keep up with the constant stopping and starting due to all of the breaks. At least that's my opinion.

Thoughtful post(-s), KCP. I totally agree. I hadn't factored the movement of the student section to the S endzone in to my equation/response.
Of course it's made a huge difference, for all the reasons you've cited.
Quite frankly, I'd hate to be a student now, having to sit in that S endzone pie slice. When I was a frosh, my tix were in the N endzone, and I think maybe my soph tix were too, but by JR year, I was in the choice seats in the W stands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the renovated south endzone isn't quite as up close and personal as it used to be. It's not as vertical, and more of a gradual incline. That is part of the reason, because less sound gets trapped in (thats why OSU's 100,000 fans seem a lot louder than Michigan's 100,000 fans. It's not that they're actually making more noise, it's just that more of it gets trapped thanks to stadium design).

But the loudest moments in Kinnick that I've experienced: Tyler Sash's INT against PSU (I don't care what anyone says, the place was louder on that play than when Murray made the kick), McNutt's 92-yard TD against Indiana, and Shonn Greene's crazy TD run against Wisconsin.

tm - i agree and have wondered if the south endzone changed the loudness, as i don't think it is as loud as it was before the remodel. not to say it isn't loud, but i think that and the move of the student section has lowered the overall loudness. just what i've thought at some games recently.

loudest, and i mean the loudest i've ever heard it was the 1990 (i think 1990) game v. OSU when they scored with seconds to go to move ahead and eventually win that game. Coincidently, after that TD was the quietest i'd ever heard it..........

tm - i agree and have wondered if the south endzone changed the loudness, as i don't think it is as loud as it was before the remodel. not to say it isn't loud, but i think that and the move of the student section has lowered the overall loudness. just what i've thought at some games recently.

loudest, and i mean the loudest i've ever heard it was the 1990 (i think 1990) game v. OSU when they scored with seconds to go to move ahead and eventually win that game. Coincidently, after that TD was the quietest i'd ever heard it..........

It was one second. :(:mad:

Latest posts