do you feel kinnick isn't the same?

tm3308, that's a pretty good story on the Maine game. I was a first row guy who didn't mind the view, but being 6'4" might have been the reason why I didn't have a problem seeing the game. A lot of the girls that went with us sat in the 3rd row (we had a group of about 20 of us that sat together at every game) and they thought the view was really good from there. I didn't mind the view from the corner, but I felt so removed compared to when we were sitting in the front row. The other thing that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread so far was the 1st row pad banging with the old student section. On almost every defensive 3rd down we would be hitting those pads getting everyone riled up. My arms were normally numb by the end of the game. Does the new student seating's 2 sideline sections even have pads to bang? I don't have a recollection either way during the last few years.

An extra note is that the culture of even our group and me changed from 2002 - 2004 v 2005. Before 2005, when we use to have to get up before dawn and stand outside of Kinnick, it pumped me up so much. There was such anticipation and then you had to run through the concourse and down the bleachers to get seats saved for the rest of the group, so the adrenaline was pumping! In 2005, I would sleep in or stop at a tailgate and casually walk over to join our group for the game. That isn't to say we didn't cheer our heads off in the new section, but the old way just got me so jacked up for the game.

They still have pads on the both grandstands, and the students on the West side still bang them til their arms go numb, and then bang them a little more.

And I wasn't in school for the culture you mentioned, but I know someone who was. She said it was hectic like that for basketball seats, too, and said it was a ton of fun. So I show up for my first ever game at Carver, about an hour and a half early, only to find that I was the first one there. That was pretty disheartening.

I've been going to games since I was a tiny kid. My dad has long since passed away, and we have kept the tickets (35yd line, 9th row). I think that for big games, the place is as loud as ever. The PSU game a couple of years ago comes to mind. We should have some good games this year.

I would agree that some of the lesser games (non conference, etc) have been pretty quiet, but that's not because of me! I make a whole lot of noise at games, and frequently wish others would be loud, too, so that the place can be as hostile to the opponents as possible.

Hopefully this year will be a fun, and loud, year.

I have to admit that Kinnick does seem a little quieter since 2005. My freshman year was 2002 and I was always half naked and all painted up in the front row. Anyway, I distinctly remember the Purdue homecoming game as being deafening. During the 03 and 04 seasons, I had the privelage of being Herky. 03 home slate included ASU, Michigan, Penn State, Miami (OH), and Minnesota. All games were extremely loud. The 04 schedule included Akron, ISU, Mich St., Purdue, Wiscy, Ohio State. Again, on the field is completely deafening and the student section was situated a lot better on the northwest corner of the field. Anyhoo, The last few years have been rather docile (save a few games like 2006 OSU, 2005 Mich, 08 OSU). Oh well. I think the Hawks should start another home game win streak. Or maybe I should just be Herky again....

I think you should just be Herky again. That must've been a good time.

While we're on this topic, I get really irritated with other season ticket holders who want you to be quiet and sit down. gheesh.

I can clearly hear Kinnik beckoning me to her strong sacred walls.
So loud indeed, that my loins quiver with excitement. BACK IN BLACK!

Latest posts