Do we want Barta back?

HawkeyeGunner

With Barta on the shelf due to his medical issues, I have this question do we want him back? Our sports teams have downgraded under his watch I feel and we had the issue with the field hockey team. There are other issues that have happened on his watch including the suit by the women's crew member who got 360K from the athletic department. He hired Lick, Fran and Brands. Right now it seems like the programs have stagnated. Wrestling hasn't sniffed a championship since 2010 not to mention losing the big ten title, women's basketball isn't as strong, Ferentz had his tem year contract put in place and like I said we got Lick. How do we break out of this stagnation and is Barta the one to lead us on? Bowlsby is now the Commissioner or the Big 12. Where would Barta go if he was to leave?

I have no problem with him.
incredulous.gif

With Barta on the shelf due to his medical issues, I have this question do we want him back? Our sports teams have downgraded under his watch I feel and we had the issue with the field hockey team. There are other issues that have happened on his watch including the suit by the women's crew member who got 360K from the athletic department. He hired Lick, Fran and Brands. Right now it seems like the programs have stagnated. Wrestling hasn't sniffed a championship since 2010 not to mention losing the big ten title, women's basketball isn't as strong, Ferentz had his tem year contract put in place and like I said we got Lick. How do we break out of this stagnation and is Barta the one to lead us on? Bowlsby is now the Commissioner or the Big 12. Where would Barta go if he was to leave?

So basketball, wrestling and baseball not headed upwards?? 7 games into a football season. Is it just football that counts now and does Barta injure football players?

So basketball, wrestling and baseball not headed upwards?? 7 games into a football season. Is it just football that counts now and does Barta injure football players?

He gets kudos for hiring Heller. (all be it in a sport that's clearly second tier)

He gets credit for hiring Fran, but he also hired Lickloser...which nearly destroyed the bball program.

Wrestling at Iowa has always been great. Bringing Brands back was certainly a good move, but hardly a genius play. I'd guess Gable had as much to do with it as Barta

If you're inferring that our poor football performance is to be blamed on injuries...please. Yes...to some degree football IS..what really counts.

There might have been cause to let him go, but not based on his hires, or retentions, of coaches. It seems as if he weathered the storm that would have put his employment in jeopardy. Not likely he's going anywhere, unless some other legal issues arise that relate to his actions, or failure to act. I'm not a big fan of the Ferentz contract, it seems like Barta was willing to negotiate the most current extension on terms very favorable to the coach when Ferentz didn't have a lot of leverage at the time. However, it did save Barta from having to make a hire that might not have worked out, operating on the premise that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The two birds in the bush may have cost him his job - maybe that's what he was thinking.

There might have been cause to let him go, but not based on his hires, or retentions, of coaches. It seems as if he weathered the storm that would have put his employment in jeopardy. Not likely he's going anywhere, unless some other legal issues arise that relate to his actions, or failure to act. I'm not a big fan of the Ferentz contract, it seems like Barta was willing to negotiate the most current extension on terms very favorable to the coach when Ferentz didn't have a lot of leverage at the time. However, it did save Barta from having to make a hire that might not have worked out, operating on the premise that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The two birds in the bush may have cost him his job - maybe that's what he was thinking.

Says who? You really think Kirk would have left?

I don't get the Barta hate? So the football team is going to be 6-6 or 7-5 like most everyone thought and now we should burn it to the ground.o_O

Says who? You really think Kirk would have left?

Maybe it didn't "save" Barta from hiring a new coach right then, I'll grant you that, but it was one less thing Barta had to worry about - it was a decision deferred. Kirk had no leverage, but by giving him what I presume is most of what he wanted, it took the risk of finding a new coach off the table at anytime soon for Barta.

Why is everyone stuck on football? I am talking about the athletic dept as a whole. Hes the head of it. Other then the Mens BB team making the finals of the NIT and 2015 for the football team, we are just treading water. Yes I am afraid of the Alford problem where we go after the hot girl but she takes of the make up and Oh Sh-t! Look at all the lawsuits and problems the department has had under Bartas watch. I am to young to remember a lot of Bumps or Bowlsbys years but I don't remember the issues for them that weve had recently.

Most Iowa sports programs are not winning at levels fans expect, plus he just cost the programs how many millions because of lawsuits? Yeah there is a problem
Most? Yes, football is having a mediocre year, but they've had 1 losing season in the last ten. I'll give you softball. What programs are not winning at the level fans expect?

Why is everyone stuck on football? I am talking about the athletic dept as a whole. Hes the head of it. Other then the Mens BB team making the finals of the NIT and 2015 for the football team, we are just treading water. Yes I am afraid of the Alford problem where we go after the hot girl but she takes of the make up and Oh Sh-t! Look at all the lawsuits and problems the department has had under Bartas watch. I am to young to remember a lot of Bumps or Bowlsbys years but I don't remember the issues for them that weve had recently.

...making the Finals of the NIT. he he he...

Hell no...he sucks ass for the extension. The whole world knows how brain dead it was....USA Today just put out another article. As if we needed to be reminded. What is keeping this from being 95% + a NO response, is the unfortunate cancer situation....Iowa people are reluctant to call him out right now.

And BTW, what exactly has Fran done that is so special???

Latest posts