Do Cyclones fans become Tavern Hawks?

Stiles

Hypothetical...

If ISU goes to a non BCS league, say the MWC or CUSA, do graduates of the school in time become Tavern Hawks?

Obviously this won't happen anytime real soon, as many of their fans hate Iowa and won't cheer for Iowa no matter what.

In time though, as they compete at a lower level (non BCS conference) do their fans begin to like and cheer for Iowa, similarly to most UNI fans?

What do you think?

Last edited:
Hypothetical...

If ISU goes to a non BCS league, say the MWC or CUSA, do graduates of the school in time become Tavern Hawks?

Obviously this won't happen anytime real soon, as many of there fans hate Iowa and won't cheer for Iowa no matter what.

In time though, as they compete at a lower level (non BCS conference) do their fans begin to like and cheer for Iowa, similarly to most UNI fans?

What do you think?

I have poked around and posted a very little on CF. I am continuously amazed by the hatred and vitriol exhibited by many toward the U of I there.

I offered the olive branch explaining that I root for ISU when they aren't playing Iowa (Which I do- we are all Iowans after all. Leave the jokes to the the national media) and all I get is grief, ripping, etc. I have broad shoulders so it doesn't phase me, and why would it- it is a message board for goodness sake. But I don't believe that ISU fans will also root for Iowa. It is too bad that ISU is in this situation, but not entirely unexpected. The Big XII has been fragile since Colorado and UNL left. The error was for Jamie Pollard to spend money on upgrades based upon a revenue stream that was based upon conference stability that just wasn't there.

I think if this were to happen we would have no choice but to force them into camps somewhere in SW Iowa.

Hypothetical...

Obviously this won't happen anytime real soon, as many of there fans hate Iowa and won't cheer for Iowa no matter what.

What do you think?

Not soon i belive alot of cyclones fans will really start to hate the hawks!!!! In ten years I belive some will convert due to not being in a bcs conference, excuse me not being in a super conference.

I don't think any adult ISU fans will ever root for Iowa, but their KIDS????? Yes, I could see that eventually happening. And some ISU fans that root for both teams, but root for ISU when they play could swing to more Iowa fans.

No, I wouldn't expect them to. It could be even harder for them to ever cheer for Iowa if things turn out worse than expected conference wise.

In some ways ISU, along with the other possible orphaned schools, have to live with the decisions they helped make with regard to the Big 12. They lusted for the allure and promise of the big money from a big TV contract. Any student of conference history easily knew what held conferences together and caused them to break up. Jamie Pollard walks on water in Ames Ia because he has or had brought home the money. Now ISU fans maybe left wondering if they were undone by his votes related to the BIg 12.

Call me crazy, but in time I don't see why they won't. Not the current fans, but like WhitUp said, their kids may. We may not be rivals then, similarly to UNI. Why would their newer fans in 20 years be bitter to Iowa? Likewise, why would Iowa not route for ISU?

I root for Iowa and I have a good time following both schools. However, I'm a season ticket holder for both football and basketball for ISU. I'd have to admit I wouldn't be as passionate if we ended up in a smaller conference but I'd probably hang on to at least my Bball tickets.

Frankly I'd probably just become more of a pro fan if the worst case scenario comes to fruition.

Sorta humorous how we divvying out the booty. Feel sorta like a vulture. I like the concentration camp Idea best.

It'd be awesome if eventually we could be one state united we put 120,000 in seats on home game saturday's when both ISU and Iowa are home. Convert the Clones kids to hawkeye fans and in 30 years we could have a 100,000 seat stadium. Come to the dark side Clone fans and in one WE WILL RULE THE EMPIRE TOGETHER!!!!

It'd be awesome if eventually we could be one state united we put 120,000 in seats on home game saturday's when both ISU and Iowa are home. Convert the Clones kids to hawkeye fans and in 30 years we could have a 100,000 seat stadium. Come to the dark side Clone fans and in one WE WILL RULE THE EMPIRE TOGETHER!!!!

Are you suggesting a fanatic cleansing?

Have to admit I often wished ISU did not exist and we had one major college program with a 100,000 seat stadium ... Instead ... we have a 70,000 seat stadium and juco stadium to boot ... :)

Yeah, that would be awesome if all the uneducated fans in Iowa could root for a team that has, what might be the most uneducated and classless fan base in FBS football....

Yeah, that would be awesome if all the uneducated fans in Iowa could root for a team that has, what might be the most uneducated and classless fan base in FBS football....

I always love it when somebody calls somebody else classless....It's such a contradiction, if someone has class they would never classify others or try to decipher who else has no class.