Do blowups hurt recruiting?

If it's a repetitive action, then maybe....too many coaches in recent years that are getting axed b/c of it....Fran's not one of those guys....

If it got out of control, maybe. But I seriously don't think that many b-ball recruits outside of Iowa even kwow that this latest incident happened. It's obviously being talked about here, but I would bet less than 2 out of 10 15-17 y/o HS kids even heard about it. Those guys are playing in their own seasons, and probably watch as much NBA ball as they do college. Plus it was on the B1G network, so it's not like it happened on Big Monday or the CBS game of the week.

If this blowup didnt fall the day before the BCS Title Game and on Wild Card Weekend in the NFL then it would have gotten a lot more play on ESPN. If there wasnt so much football to talk about I guarantee there would have been segments about it on PTI and Around the Horn.

Fran's chair slam made both of those shows and this was worse.

A coach standing up for his players will never hurt recruiting. Look at the Oklahoma State coach with his blow up in the press conference about "I am a man. I am 40". Their recruiting classes have been strong since then.

A coach standing up for his players will never hurt recruiting. Look at the Oklahoma State coach with his blow up in the press conference about "I am a man. I am 40". Their recruiting classes have been strong since then.

You sound like an ISU fan after Whoads' Texas post game presser.

2-3 star kids are just happy to be getting BoneG looks. They don't care about one game and probably won't even remember it happened by the time they get to campus.

The blow-up was at the refs, not the players. No negative effect on player recruiting.

mcafferyx-large.jpg

The only way our recruits know about the blow-up is by reading this blog.

Fran-McCaffery.jpg

I was wrong...a GOOGLE Image search shows the many frustrated faces of Fran....
453383755-head-coach-fran-mccaffery-of-the-iowa-hawkeyes-yells_crop_north.jpg

Last edited:
Not much being said about Izzo grabbing his sophomore guard's jersey by the neck and then going off on him in his face last night during a timeout. Somehow I think that would not play well if that we're an Iowa coach doing the same.

The last time Fran had a well publicized blow up he brought in a top 25 recruiting class plus Uthoff transferred in. He had no major blow ups last season and only brought in a single recruit and has struggled recruiting this year as well. Facts are facts, blowups help recruiting.

We need more blow ups then! Very interesting correlation!

The last time Fran had a well publicized blow up he brought in a top 25 recruiting class plus Uthoff transferred in. He had no major blow ups last season and only brought in a single recruit and has struggled recruiting this year as well. Facts are facts, blowups help recruiting.

Latest posts